quietearth [Celluloid 05.19.08] post apocalyptic movie news

Pin It Share on Google+

It seems our friends over at Row Three got their hands on the first still of John Hillcoat's adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's post apocalyptic, Pulitzer prize winning novel The Road. I have to say I'm completely disappointed with the photography here, it neither matches my expectations of something starkly beautiful, nor of the ashen-grey visage described in the book. But hey, I'm still dying to see it! Check after the break for a higher-res version.

UPDATE: Big thanks to tipster Oliver for alerting us to the second still.

Oliver (5 years ago) Reply

Thanks for posting! It could be more dark, but it goes into the right direction... I'm still thinking this was the best PA book I will ever read.

Hey gang, Agent Orange here. It's holiday time up here in Canada but I found the nearest computer I could to chime in on this.

I loved The Road. It devastated me completely. If you've seen The Proposition then you'll know that John Hillcoat was a great choice to see this adaptaion to the big screen. And, while I would agree that this still does not capture the terror, the darkness, or the emptiness you feel while reading the book, it does capture the intensity of the love this father feels for his son. Just look at the sorrow in Viggo's eyes... I predict this cast will be pitch perfect. Also the costumes are look really well done.

I think we'll see some much darker promotional stills to follow. This one's about character me-thinks.

stafford (5 years ago) Reply

it's not going to look dark yet. That's what post-production is for.

barnesm (5 years ago) Reply

Yeah that still is the happy birthday photo, the rest of the movie is much bleaker. They just don't want any of the wrist slashing, sould destroying landcape showing yet.

Kevin (5 years ago) Reply

"I have to say I'm completely disappointed with the photography here, it neither matches my expectations of something starkly beautiful, nor of the ashen-grey visage described in the book."

Jumping the gun much?

Kevin (5 years ago) Reply

My first thought was, I'm happy with the look of The Father, they havent gone all "road warrior" with it and you really cant say too much about the backgrounds etc at this stage.

Oliver (5 years ago) Reply

I found some other picture:

ladynawlz (5 years ago) Reply

the kid looks is too fat. the kid is meant to be starving.