quietearth [Celluloid 07.31.08] movie news cyberpunk scifi

Pin It Share on Google+

I just stumbled across what I believe is the first poster for the upcoming adaptation of Gibson's awesome novel Neuromancer, and while I love the looks of it, I still wonder if ANYONE could pull of even a remote interpretation of this? "Based on William Gibson’s seminal cyberpunk novel, Hayden Christensen stars as Cage, a petty future Tokyo thief whose trade is jacking his brain directly into computer systems. When this skill is taken away from him, it seems his life is destined to end in an explosion of violence and drugs… until the mysterious Armitage offers redemption – at a price. Revelation follows revelation as Cage discovers that no one is in control of his or her own destiny and a new form of sentient technology is taking over. It’s down to Cage to face Neuromancer and do something he never has before: make the right choice. Higher rez look after the break!

Chris (6 years ago) Reply

They've changed Case's name to Cage? Hayden Christensen is the star too? I don't have a good feeling about this.

That's a good point Chris. It makes me wonder whether it's a press release typo. Cage is kind of dumb name (no offense Nick).

edward (6 years ago) Reply

I like the poster, would like to see a trailer before i start to make any judgements. but it is really about time.

JayKay (6 years ago) Reply

If they mess up the storyline at all, I will be totally upset. This is one of my favorite books of all time and the fact that Case is now Cage has me feeling a little uneasy...

Let's hope they stick to the book!

Wintermute2.0 (6 years ago) Reply

I do agree with JayKay.
The book was and is the best of all time and therefore there´s plenty of opportunities to mess it up.
Yet, I´m crossing my fingers for this movie.

kevin (6 years ago) Reply

Is he wearing a bluetooth headset in the poster?

Nah, he's working at an insurance company call center part time... haven't you read the novel? haha.

christopher (6 years ago) Reply

i sure hope this *isnt* the look of the film. it's cyberpunk, not steampunk.

Case is one of the best character names ever.. he's a "case" as in a flesh case, holding his mind, and in some ways, trapping it.. so perhaps Cage is still applicable, but not as cool.. We shall see.

Chris (6 years ago) Reply

Gibson reacts to the one sheet:

lobius (6 years ago) Reply

Looks like something Dave McKean might have done.

No! No! No! Not that weenie of weenies, Hayden. He will personally ruin it. I'd rather see Keeanu do it....

Keanu? I don't know, might bring back too many memories of Johnny Mnemonic.

Sama (6 years ago) Reply

For me, Christensen looks more like Count Zero. Case should be more like Ewan Mc Gregor (Trainspotting) or Jude Law (ExistenZ).

From the director of Torque, and some Britney Spears videos? Jesus...this is going to be a nightmare. A bona-fide cinematic disaster, I guarantee it.

I wish Chris Cunningham was still on this. I agree with Gibson...he's the only director on the planet who has a chance of getting it right.

All good points. Can't argue with your trepidations here. However, my faith in the source material outweighs them.

synaptic flow (6 years ago) Reply

Wow! I need to go out and buy the book again!

PixL (6 years ago) Reply

The filmmakers has a huge responsibility making this movie. But I wonder what "normal people" outside the cyberpunk-movement will think of it? The book is a milestone, and i wish the movie will live up to it.

gabriel (6 years ago) Reply

even the lord of the rings, a great trilogy with a very decent adaptation, had it´s flaws; anyone who have read the books knows that even with +10 hours of movies, they couldn´t cover all the aspects of Tolkien´s books.

then I turn my eyes to neuromancer and I think about Gibson´s scenario-describing talent, how many details he provides and still, how many things he leaves for the readers to build (what is, after all, 'the color of a tv tuned to a dead channel'? What about 'a pair of blades that would look better in a surgery table'?)... i don´t know. When you´re obsessed about a book and you´ve read it many times, it´s nearly impossible to see a movie living to your expectations, so i´m pretty sure I´m gonna walk out of the theater disappointed.

oh, and BTW, Christensen? If I could pick an actor who looked like the Case I imagined, I think I´d pick Jake Gylenhaal. I see Case as a quiet guy with decent eye expressions and sudden emotion bursts, and I think Gylenhaal, judging by Donnie Darko and many other films, would be a great Case. CASE, not CAGE.

ps.: please answer me that: WHERE DID YOU GET THAT POSTER????

quietearth (6 years ago) Reply

poster and synopsis (including CAGE) from the production company website.

satan (6 years ago) Reply

Case could also mean that he's just another case, as an assignment.

I'm pretty sure it's still Case. Someone made a typo somewhere. On the other synopses online (eg IMDB) it is Case...

Chrisznix (6 years ago) Reply

The only hope of not spoiling it (like Hitchhikers Guide, for example) is that Kahn & Christensen disappear for completely unknown reasons and Terry Gilliam takes over, sending in Wayne Pygram as Case.

Lupus Yunderboy (6 years ago) Reply

My God, it's full of stars.

Mister EDgAr H (6 years ago) Reply

Yeah right! We did bite once... I remember, how could I forget, from 1999 to 2004 (or 2005?) me and many other CP lovers refreshing neuromancer.com everyday hoping! Hoping that one day the site was going to update us on juicy details.. 5 years we waited to finally see the site go down and wired news tell us that it wasn't going to happen, never, ever!..

So I say, FAKE!.. And this fake poster sucks! Probably made up by a 10yo!

The guy in this poster looks like Peter Weller (Robocop). He wouldn't have been a bad choice for this role in his prime. Today? Dunno.

How about Ed Norton? If they can afford him. It's his kind of burnout-that-happens-to-be-a-bad-ass character.

flashbackflip (6 years ago) Reply

as far as there's no trailer yet i've found a 'concept design' video on u-tube.

here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJkhknVYJc0

and about the film - is it 'fake or tru' - just visit imdb.com [i wish u could read russian - i'd advise u prokino.ru))]

cheers e-body and thanx 4 the poster

Alfonso FR (5 years ago) Reply

I agree with Ewan McGregor look for CASe's character on the movie. He is kind of a tortured guy. The bluetooth headset really does not fit the argument! BTW, Johny Mnemonic was not as bad a movie at all though it was not well promoted. Existenz is also a good starting point for Neuromancer's dark ambient. I'd like to see some second generation Tron-like environment for Wintermute. Probably we will see many remakes of Neuromancer until we get to something as good as Blade Runner or The Matrix I. Milla Jovovich as in the fifth element would perform fairly good as the cyberninja. Aphex Twin would definitely be the soundtrack for the movie. And that's all for today, folks.

Alfonso FR (5 years ago) Reply

Oh, yes I forgot something...
For documentation on the cyberspace, have a look to the "Shadowrun" Rol-Play-Game, to the Max Headroom character, and to the "Lawnmower man" movie and sequel. It'd be cool that the NM movie had some backwards reference to some nowadays technology, such as Second Life.

some bloke (5 years ago) Reply

gouge out my freakin eyes slowly with hot pokers while keeping my conscious instead of casting hayden. even Keanu would be better!

and why change the name from Case? why not change the city its in, and change the industry to car-jacking while they're at it!

same bloke (5 years ago) Reply

just read, yeah Ewan could do it too. actually he might enjoy the character. maybe Giovanni Ribisi if he grew and darkened his hair.

the.finn (5 years ago) Reply

why why why
first, the name change......why
second, manikin skywalker ................need i say more
i just hope that if they do this that it dont blow
in fact let me make it i have trouble making a cup of tea but i could at least keep it neuromancer

xNephilimx (5 years ago) Reply

If that's the real poster, then they'll screw it up for sure...
Hyden Christensen...... Really? It's too girly for a case. I think Edward Norton would make for an axcellent Case. XD

Sunolet (5 years ago) Reply

oh good god this is horrible; first of all scrap young anikin he looks too soft to be case, i always imagined case as some dude whos kind of seen it all kind of pissed and beaten down at the same time i agree with Neph Norton would be great, second please tell me the Cage thing is a typo, third of all and most important if they do go on with this project they at least need to cut it up to include EVERYTHING otherwise it makes no sense