quietearth [Celluloid 10.03.08] zombies movie news

Pin It Share on Google+

Within the past 24 hours there has been a huge amount of updates on Romero's next which has been tentatively titled Island of the Living Dead, and once again, this is NOT a sequel even though we're using the poster to the right. First off, the synopsis has leaked and here it is: "The plot involves inhabitants of an isolated island off the North American coast who find their relatives rising from the dead to eat their kin. The leaders of the island feud over whether or not to kill their reanimated relatives or preserve them in hopes of finding a cure." Hmm, sounds a little bit like the sub-plot in Colin. The cast includes: Alan Van Sprang, Kenneth Welsh, Kathleen Munroe, Devon Bostick, Richard Fitzpatrick, Stefano Colacitti and Athena Karkanis.Voltage Pictures will handle international sales while Cinetic Media will be doing domestic. Lastly, AICN got their hands on some behind the scenes photos from a spy, including a cool looking boat called the "Amherst Islander Slaughter Beach Ferry". You can check out that photo after the break.

via BD

rek (6 years ago) Reply

Not holding my breath. Romero has a lot to apologize for with Diary and Land.

Seeing this picture acually made me becomea member. (Just found this site two days ago) It made me become a member because I know this boat and I wanted to be able to comment (plus the site kicks as.s). Its currently docked just inside the mouth of Port Dover Ontario. The town is owned by just a few ritch families and one of them bought it at an auction. I have a bigger picture of this boat. The name is fake. In real life it says (same font) townsend lumber mills, Tillsonburg Ontario. It is indeed however called the amherst islander. I know, little to do with the film but just wanted to contribute some how. I only have the better picture on my face book so sorry dont know how to link.

Romero is som (6 years ago) Reply

"slaughter beach"? Romero is so out of touch with the world that he thinks he can still make B movies like he did in the 60s and 70s! What a joke! He's mooning his fans and mistakes their jeers for applause.

Nelle Chan (5 years ago) Reply

As rek says, the boat is indeed the Amherst Islander, which used to be the ferry for Amherst Island, which is just west of Kingston, Ontario. Ive been on this ferry many times when visiting Amherst Island. (Ahh... The memories...) The ferry was "retired" a few years ago, as it was too small, too old and needed a refit. They now have a larger ferry.
Also, I'd like to comment on the name, Slaughter Beach: it is the name of an actual place in Delaware. Slaughter Beach is a tiny town, population 133, on Delaware Bay. I have read that the name came from the Horseshoe Crabs that lay their eggs in the shallow water, get stranded by the low tide, and then die on the beach. So that is the "slaughter." It is home to the Mispillion Lighthouse, the last surviving wood frame lighthouse in Delaware. Not sure if Romero knows about this place, or if it just by chance he's using the name Slaughter Beach in this film.

mike andersen (5 years ago) Reply

ROMERO RULES. LAND WAS THE MOVIE HE WANTED DAY TO BE, AND DIARY WAS GREAT FOR A LOW BUDGET RETURN TO THE BEGINNING. QUIT CRITICIZING THE MAN AND APPRECIATE THE FACT THAT HE NOT ONLY CREATED THE GENRE, HE IS STILL MAKING MOVIES. HE COULD HAVE STOPPED AT DAWN, BUT DIDN'T.

deathstardisko (5 years ago) Reply

Land had absolutely NOTHING on Day! Granted, Day didn't end up turning out like he'd originally planned, but his continuation of themes sat perfectly. Land was so out of touch and socially irrelevant for today, despite the argument he makes for it.
I respected what he wanted to do for Diary, but considering the format for the film was then taken from what new, young directors with their own innovations have been doing, it came off as a poor, second rate teen horror.
So despite what he's done for the genre, I think it's time for him to step aside and let someone else fill his boots and wow us with something new, just like he did in the 60's.

When is the new movie coming out? I can't wait to see it!