quietearth [Cathode Ray Mission 05.10.09] Tuvalu post apocalyptic zombies news

We just got an update from the co-producer and while this post apocalyptic zombie tv series hasn't been signed on yet, there's still interest (and hope for us). Our last post was the trailer last September, and we're still waiting, but we do have the first 5 minutes of the pilot for you.

A global pandemic has decimated the population and left the cities deserted. When a handful of survivors find themselves stranded in the aftermath, with the dead returning to life, they must rely on each other to live in a world overrun by the walking dead. Lifeless is an episodic drama of survival horror.

First 5 minutes of the pilot after the break.

I. Would. Watch. This.

Matt (9 years ago) Reply

It would be better if the Zombies were faster instead of the shambling variety but other than that it looks good

ninjasuperspy (9 years ago) Reply

Love the tilt-shift work. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

2012 Guy (9 years ago) Reply

Looks ok but I have a couple of questions, one is this going to be picked up ny network TV is so who?
Two why with all the guns in the US of A this guy has a friging baseball bat how many in simular situations would be carting around a Lousiville Slugger? It just suggest a disrespect for the viewer.

DaffyDune (9 years ago) Reply

Nah. People would grab anything that could be used as a weapon. I for one am sick of guns. This levels the playing field a little.

rek (9 years ago) Reply

Why don't they look dressed for survival?

wolfeyes (9 years ago) Reply

Melee weapons & slow zombies for mayor!

What if instead of this pilot, they recreated the final scene of Harakiri, but with zombies... Wouldn't that blow more minds than a few poorly parked cars and a scattered newspaper? Anyway, george lucas would agree with me. Now I feel dirty.

wolfeyes (9 years ago) Reply

Sorry, not Harakiri... I was thinking of The Sword of Doom (1966). but nevermind...

fermentor666 (9 years ago) Reply

Any zombie series would be great, but what we need more than a grade-C show that this appears to be is a prestige mini-series based off of something like "The Walking Dead" comic book or "World War Z". "World War Z" could be FANTASTIC if it were done in the Ken Burns documentary style. And these shows, they cannot be on network television or even places like Sci-Fi, because the require GORE! Sci-Fi can show some, but they wouldn't be able to get away with an un-edited "Dawn of the Dead" (original) so by default a proper zombie series could not be effectively done. I know they do quality work, just look at Battlestar Gallactica (my favorite TV show of the last few years, maybe even the decade).

What a zombie TV series, mini or otherwise, needs is a premium channel network like Showtime, HBO, or IFC, now that all three of them are doing originals. Preferably HBO, of course, because they afford larger budgets then the other two. But Showtime has been stepping their game up with The Tudors and Dexter (another favorite of mine).

So, in my ideal world, we would have either a "World War Z" mini-series or a "The Walking Dead" on-going series done on HBO, or if not then on Showtime. I can't see it done properly in any other way. Ideally, of course, would be a TV series that was a completely original idea of the same caliber as the previously mentioned books. That would be tough, though. These actors, honestly, look pretty tame and wet behind the ears. Production team would have to be top-notch, as well as the cast. That doesn't require having superstars. I mean, the HBO greats, prior to "Big Love", did not have A-list actors: "Oz", "The Wire", "The Sopranos", etc etc. Only after a season or a few did they start to attract big-name talent (Steve Buscemi, for instance) or make stars out of the cast (James Gandolfini, J.K. Simmons (FINALLY), etc.). Not that I don't think anyone would mind seeing some top notch, A-listers in a zombie series.

Judging from this 5 minutes, it's very hard to tell. My gut impression is not very good, to be honest. But I will give it the benefit of the doubt for the time being. I only hope that if it does tank, that it will not ruin the chances of a greater zombie series to get picked up.

GreatDaneIIV (9 years ago) Reply

I'm sure that *if* it got picked up, it would be totally reshot and redone, so picking apart the current product is somewhat futile. I for one like what I see. The potential is there, even if the acting isn't.

Jonas (9 years ago) Reply

Huh, I'm pretty sure I saw these first five minutes as early as last year. It's been on the site.

hiddnfox (9 years ago) Reply

Well, this is OLD! It didn't take long to recognize some buildings in the background and know this was shot in Salt Lake City. But the reason why I know its at least 2 years old (probably 3 or 4) is becaues quite a few of the building have been torn down to make way for a new revitalization project downtown. Also the Ambulance they have in the shot is from a company that served salt lake over 2 years ago and another company runs them now.
And on a side note, Salt Lake City is really that dead and desolate in the middle of the day.

sunolet (9 years ago) Reply

zombies are finalyl getting the treatment they deserve

Chris (8 years ago) Reply

I was actually one of the 4 main zombie characters in the pilot for this when I lived in Salt Lake City. It has been 2 years now and I have moved back near Chicago and never heard anything from the producers.