quietearth [DVD News 08.12.09] Poland movie news scifi dvd

Wow! For the first time, the Polish scifi genius (and madman) Piotr Szulkin will have dvd releases of his most loved films which will include English subtitles and reportedly be region free but in 4:3 (and probably PAL). These 4 films are part of the box-set:

Ga, Ga - Chwala bohaterom (Ga-ga: Glory to the Heroes) IMDB
O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji (O-Bi, O-Ba - The End of Civilization) IMDB
Wojna swiatów - nastepne stulecie (The War of the World: Next Century) IMDB
Golem IMDB

I've seen all of these films except for The War of the World: Next Century and I can attest to their greatness, especially the post apocalyptic and thoroughly depressing (cold war style) O-Bi, O-Ba - The End of Civilization.

There are some disceprancies on the below purchase website, but according to the distributors website, all of them do have English subtitles.

You can buy the DVDs here for 104.90 zloty = 35.67 USD. Thanks to thethreshold for the heads up.

You can check clips from the first 3 listed films after the break. I can't find footage of Golem. Can anyone help us out?

O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji (O-Bi, O-Ba - The End of Civilization)

Ga, Ga - Chwala bohaterom (Ga-ga: Glory to the Heroes)

Wojna swiatów - nastepne stulecie (The War of the World: Next Century)

thethreshold (10 years ago) Reply

You can find some stills from Golem at the link below.

NO WAY!! TOO AWESOME!!

4:3 though? wtf?

Anirul (10 years ago) Reply

Shame on me - I'm from Poland and I've learned from you about it! :-) I've already placed my order so thanks for the info.

Jonas (10 years ago) Reply

Wow, I had no idea it was the same guy who did Ga, Ga - Chwala bohaterom and O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji. O-bi, O-ba is wonderfully bleak and beautiful. I really need to get around to finally watching Ga, Ga. I'm so getting this box-set.

entizari (10 years ago) Reply

shame only the first clip's subtitled.
they all look pretty interesting. haven't seen enough Polish cinema.
Ga, Ga's clip reminds me of BRAZIL.

about them being in 4:3. this could be the format, or the ratio. does anyone know how these films are meant to look. Considering their age, they could easily have been shot full-frame.

the listing on the first link would suggest a couple of Szulkin's short films are included too (hopefully subtitled)

thethreshold (10 years ago) Reply

The 3 below were all released at one point in widescreen (1.85:1). The only one I'm not sure about is Golem.

Ga, Ga - Chwala bohaterom
O-bi, O-ba - Koniec cywilizacji
Wojna swiatów - nastepne stulecie

just got the box set in the mail today! transit time was relatively short. i ordered by credit card and it was here in less than 2 weeks. the quality is great, subtitles for all the films are good and there are a couple bonus short films thrown in as well. all region free, so you can enjoy it no matter where you are! the price of $36 and change includes shipping cost, so that is a rather good price for 4 movies of this importance. i highly recommend people order it!

Saladyn (9 years ago) Reply

Deadly boxset. It's not the kind of semi-postapocalypse that some movies are showing. No ironed clothes and stuff. Everything is dark and dirty. Humans are alive but humanity... now that's different story.