quietearth [Celluloid 08.14.09] United Kingdom movie news puppets action

What if the nazis won the second world war? Then we might get a vision like Philadelphia Experiment II (which I loved), but this takes it much further: they use action figures and models! Written and directed by brothers Edward and Rory McHenry and voiced by Ewan McGregor, Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Spall and Rosamund Pike, Jackboots on Whitehall follows a group of heroic villagers as they fight against the Nazi invasion of England and rescue Churchill.

Kent, 1940. Our heroes, a group of villagers from a quiet part of the English South Coast, seem blissfully unaware of the impending doom that sits across the Channel. But Chris, a young farm worker, dreams of the chance to join the army and fight in exciting new lands rather than be stuck in the slow paced village life he has grown up in. His chance comes when the three top Nazis, the enormous Goering, the malnourished Goebbels and the scarily camp Himmler hatch a plan to invade England by drilling under the English Channel and into the heart of London.

Behind the scenes after the break! via ScreenRush

Ganamae (11 years ago) Reply

And I was hoping it was without puppets...more along the lines of Dead Snow..

this is gonna be a disaster.

Ebert (11 years ago) Reply

What in god's name comes next? Wallace and Grommit in: One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich? Or maybe The Muppets Take Moscow?

This isn't creativity. It's trivialization.

Oh dear oh dear. This looks fucking stupid. Thank you arts council!

Yeah, Because when I think of Himmler and Goebbels I always remember that dinner party when Himmler wore a lampshade on his head and Goebbels said,"Look at all the Nazi's." and I said "Where?!" and he grabbed his crotch and said,"Dezzz Nutzi's!!" HAHAHA funny guys they were.

i m happy we all can agree on this. someone seriously needs to sort out film financing here in the uk. so many promising young talents. and they give all this money to fools like this. a disgrace. and what about all these actors... bunch of goons!
really expected better from mcgregor and the likes!

Skinstripper (10 years ago) Reply

So no one liked any of the Thunderbirds, or what about The Producers and Springtime for Hitler or Duck Soup? I think this looks great. It's good they're giving miniatures people some work, and if it's either puppeteering or stop motion, I'm glad they're getting work as well. This IS creativity, and if you care to call those earlier films I mentioned trvialization, then go right ahead, but alas, you're wrong.

I agree, money shouldn't be given to films like this in the UK. This is probably why Shane Meadows last film had to be funded by Eurostar... Though I can't find anything about the arts council or film council having to do with this, perhaps they funded it but now dissowned it?!

Pat (10 years ago) Reply

"the financing for the project has come from a combination of private equity and international co-production funds including Matador (UK), MIG (Belgium) and Arcadia (Spain)." [http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/uk-ireland/principal-photography-begins-on-jackboots-on-whitehall/5003595.article]

production company is Cinema Four. newly established. no major.

no government money was spent on this. still, doesnt look to amazing yet. waiting for the trailer.

@Skinstripper:

Thunderbirds was fine. Fireball XL-5 was fine. Gumby was ahead of its time. The works of Aardman Animation were brilliant and inspired.

Duck Soup was funny. The Producers might be a little too "on the nose" to be much more than amusing - but that's Mel Brooks for you.

But this thing? Sorry. Save your money and wait for DVD release. It should be in all the best $5 bargain bins within a week of release.

Looks fantastic, I canºt wait for it. It was privatly funded and it is very easy to criticise so just give it a chance.

me (10 years ago) Reply

These first-time directors are very young and highly ambitious. Funding for the film was painstakingly and privately secured...absolutely no Arts Council involvement. The whole project has been a huge labour of love. It would have been better to wait for a bit more material before all the lazy, snivelling 'bargain bin' bitchery, don't you think?

Jay.Mac (10 years ago) Reply

This looks incredible- and since when has making fun of Nazis been banned? These guys have assembled an incredible cast and picked a technically challenging format to make their movie in. A Boys' Own adventure made with what looks to be 12" scale action figures? This should be great.

nO PROBLEM (10 years ago) Reply

Sixth scale figures I cant wait for it to see how it looks. London in sixth scale. I want it to go with my collection. Keep going guys

Bear Johnson (10 years ago) Reply

HA! I sold these guys a BUNCH of loose gear...
I wonder if I'll get a mention in the credits?
hmmmm....

Im looking forward to this

Emu (10 years ago) Reply

'Me' is right. Funding was secured by a combination of private equity and co-production and deferred services. Absolutely no government money was used at all! These guys have worked long and hard to get this film made and its getting incredible press right now! I've just seen the teaser at AFM and it looks beyond incredible! I would actually call this a work of art, so much attention to detail! All done using traditional puppetry, there were servos inside the puppets which moved the arms, and heads then the brilliant animators got a hold of it and using CGI they animated mouths, eyes, and facial expressions. They even blow up a sixth scale Trafalgar Square! Just wait - I predict this film will be HUGE. They're on Facebook as well: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jackboots-on-Whitehall/106880202876?ref=ts