Christopher Webster [Celluloid 09.14.09] movie news cyberpunk scifi poster

[Editor's note: These posters are legit, not fan art.]

It's been too long since we've been able to bring you news on Joseph Khan's upcoming adaptation of William Gibson's cyberpunk classic, "Neuromancer," so we thought we'd let you take a look at some unused (and until now unseen) sales art for the film.

As you can see, the design company responsible for the work was willing to go to all new levels of abstract weirdness using a wasp motif. Of course we know that the production company, Seven Arts, eventually went with artwork that went an entirely different direction (that poster is also included after the break), but it's still cool to see where everyone's head was at at the onset of the development process.

Synopsis:
Case was the hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway, jacking his consciousness into cyberspace, soaring through tactile lattices of data and logic, rustling encoded secrets for anyone with the money to buy his skills. Then he double-crossed the wrong people, who caught up with him in a big way -- and burned the talent out of his brain, micron by micron. Banished from cyberspace, trapped in the meat of his physical body, Case courted death in the high-tech underworld. Until a shadowy conspiracy offered him a second chance -- and a cure -- for a price.

Right now, Necromancer is skedded for release in 2011. Casting news is sketchy with Hayden Christensen the last to be attached as Case and Liv Tyler rumored to be in negotiations for a role.

More as we get it. Posters after the break.

Aesop (7 years ago) Reply

Striking and interesting artwork.
But let us pray Kahn's Neuromancer never sees the light of day. It's bad enough Cunningham lost it.
I don't want to see "The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to an MTV channel playing the Backstreet Boys."

Chris (7 years ago) Reply

I love them. This black one is nice! Where do you get them?

what the hell is with the wasps? these sort of look like posters for a bad weekly goth night at a local bar or something.

chrome (7 years ago) Reply

The whole project puts me awash in a sea of apprehension. Does anyone remember johnny Mnemonic?

Chris (7 years ago) Reply

...yes, chrome, i like the movie. It's not THAT bad, like everybody said. 'love the "Bridge-Guys" in it! ;)

anyonebutHaydenChristensen (7 years ago) Reply

Please not Hayden Christensen. He already ruined Star Wars for me...And then he ruined Bob Dylan for me in that terrible atrocity Factory Girl. Is this a personal vendetta?

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

This short info will look like this:
//Case is The hottest computer cowboy cruising the information superhighway, jacking off consciousness in the cyberspace, with soaring testicle lattices of data and logic//
when it is out.

chrome (7 years ago) Reply

//The sky above the port was the color of blatant commercialism turned to endless mounds of marketing dreck.//

Does anyone really need a yonderboy action figure?

rek (7 years ago) Reply

1) What's with the bees? I don't remember them in the book.

2) Hayden Christiansen = this movie will suck.

Popi (7 years ago) Reply

This story is too many things to too many people. No movie will ever be good enough. Has there ever, really, been a movie as good as the book upon which its based?

The highest potential was reached with Gibson/Cunningham/Aphex on the bill.

Anything less will suck.

The wasps are in the book...

Christopher (7 years ago) Reply

I'll reserve judgement until I see the movie, if it ever gets made. I'm not thrilled by Hayden as are many others.

Doc (7 years ago) Reply

I don't know. I mean the thing is, this was one of the best novels I've ever read. And these days Hollyweird has been really good at adapting novels, comics, etc. Hopefully, when this movie comes out it won't suck. Also I would like a Yonderboy action figure. That would be fucking awesome.

Previewfilms (7 years ago) Reply

Id have to read the book again, but I can't remember robot wasps or any kind of analogy they would refer to. Any good excuse to read the book again.... Cant wait for the movie. I hope it's dark (noir)

hmm, anyone got high res versions?

Cam (7 years ago) Reply

Wintermute uses a wasps nest from Case's memory as a metaphor for the TA corporation.

Spooky Otaku (7 years ago) Reply

@Doc

Hell the first film people think of when they think cyberpunk is Blade Runner which is vastly superior to Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, the novel on which it was based.

Troll Daddy (7 years ago) Reply

I doubt Kahn will surpass Ridley Scotts masterpiece, but he has a chance NOT to fail given his production team including Peter Hoffman Julia Verdin and Gibson himself. Hoffman worked on Mnemonic and I really want to believe his input will steer the film away from JM's pitfalls.

capnsid (7 years ago) Reply

Maybe it won't suck. Has anybody seen Colussus: The Forbin Project, based on the novel Colossus? It' an excellent adaptation of a source novel, and a precursor to Wargames and Terminator, all high-tech/cyberpunk classics. Give it a chance

The internet (7 years ago) Reply

Whichever dipshit wrote this "article" got trolled, the wasps were a passing and unimportant element in the story and the 4th image from the left is NOT a poster, its actually the cover art from a recent european reprint of the book, DO SOME FUCKING RESEARCH!

Haha, you're so wrong it's not even funny. All these designs were done by acclaimed poster company allcity.

Do YOUR research douche bag.

K (6 years ago) Reply

I always thought this would look like a good film for Ridley Scott. I can't help but be disappointed by this other guy getting the directing seat. This isn't the film one should cut his teeth on. It should be directed by a maker of classics. The synopsis for this film alone shows how shallow the producers understanding is of the artistic and commercial value of this film. Instead of something that will receive praise and sell DVD's forever it'll be a resume stain.
Seriously though, does Ridley Scott not sound like a good idea?

Cal (5 years ago) Reply

I waited how many years for this movie and HAYDEN FUCKING I-DESTROYED-STAR-WARS CHRISTENSON is playing the lead? Hell, who would put him in a movie after the star wars debacle? or how about Jumper? anyone remember that little snafu?