Christopher Webster [Celluloid 09.25.09] post apocalyptic movie trailer news scifi

I described the first teaser for Denzel Washington starer, Book of Eli, as "pure post-apocalyptic popcorn" and, while this full length trailer tries to present the film as extremely serious, I think we all know the description to still be apt. It's even got the PA and western genre cliches, larger than life villains and ten-on-one fight scenes to prove it.

Synopsis:
In a post-apocalyptic America where the once-picturesque countryside has become a desolate and violent wasteland, one man (Denzel Washington) fights to protect that sacred tome that could hold the key to the survival of the human race.

Book of Eli also stars Gary Oldman, Mila Kunis, Ray Stevenson and Jennifer Beals. It opens in theaters on January 10, 2010.

You can watch the trailer (courtesy of yahoo) after the break.

chuck (8 years ago) Reply

I'm late to the party on this one, but the book that holds the key to the survival of the human race is the bible?!? Unless that sucker's hollowed out with something useful inside I'm afraid this will suck. The various flavors of invisible sky friends dreamed up by man over the eons, and their 'holy' books, have given us death, oppression, and false hope. Come on Hollywood!

UncleB (8 years ago) Reply

This looks like a pile. Another dusty ass PA. I guess Road Warrior is what everyone trys to duplicate. I will skip this Pile 'O Crap

Sorry obama-clone, this doesnt work for me either. Maybe the hidden message in this movie is about what happens to America after obama. Anyway,it looks like S*** so wait till it shows up in the used dvd store and put your money into the stor owners hand and not this guys

Finriz (8 years ago) Reply

Ok, the first person is a cowardly douchebag. If you do not like a movie trailer....fine. But why do you have to bring up politics and latent racism? Ahh, the internet brings out all the assholes. It is a PA flick not a political commentary.

why the all the hate? It looks pretty cool. Maybe a little mindless, but fun is fun.

Nena (8 years ago) Reply

Looks fine to me.

Sunolet (8 years ago) Reply

I think it looks pretty fun (PLUS GARY OLDMAN!) this bible may not be some salvation thing it may be just hope because that is what anybody in the post apocalypse is looking for and if they have something to hold onto in the post apocalyptic hell hole then they're gonna do what they need to
(this is extremely weird for an agnostic to say)

donc48 (8 years ago) Reply

Could someone please explain the Obama references? Granted I’m no fan of the guy but Denzel Washington is maybe one of the most underrated actors out there. The author of One Second After said on the Mike Rosen here in Denver if he had the choice he would want Denzel to play the lead. The Book if Eli may not fit him as an actor, but the Obama clone crack is just low rent.

chuck (8 years ago) Reply

Uh, gee finriz... religion is neither a political system or a race. You fail.

Fat Legs (8 years ago) Reply

Where there's Oldman there's hope and I'll hold onto that!

Has he actually ever been in a bad film? From head top I cannae think of one*, could he be one of the few actors out there without a moment of shame? Lets hope this isnt it.

Film looks standard to potentially predictadull though from the trailer. If the books got some bullschiesse holy roller nonsense it'll be a proper disappointment. Pray for a plot twist you infidels!!!

Fat Legs (8 years ago) Reply

Where there's Oldman there's hope and I'll hold onto that!

Has he actually ever been in a bad film? From head top I cannae think of one, could he be one of the few actors out there without a moment of shame? Lets hope this isnt it.

rek (8 years ago) Reply

The Bible? Really? I hope that's some serious misdirection from the editor. I'm not sure which is worse, making the book the Bible, or that Mila Kunis is in this.

Pretty Ricky (8 years ago) Reply

I believe there is an ipod inside the bible which is the actual 'book.'

As for all the hate on the color scheme in PA films that's what the outside tends to look like, brown, green, and blue. Or brown and blue if you are in the mid-west.

Damn, it looks pretty damn Cool!

Skinstripper (8 years ago) Reply

For the love of God, idiots, read the graphic novel it's based on. It looks good, except for Mila. That takes me out of the illusion of reality. Should've gotten a more real looking lady. I hate these plastic women. All in all, the cinematography looks good, the shooting looks good, so I have hope. And to "chuck", get a life. Yes, Hollywood is known for putting out pro-religion post-apocalyptic films. Yep. That's Hollywood for you.

tantarus (8 years ago) Reply

all you people complaining, complaining. "oh no, a BIG BUDGET PA movie... oh, that sucks? Really??? how many DECADES did I have to wait for holywood to start risking their money in PA movies again so u can all piss on it now???
i'm gonna be all over this at the theatre

Finriz (8 years ago) Reply

Sorry about that Chuck. I meant the guy above ME not the first guy (you). Did not mean to attack a person with a sensible comment. Sorry about that bro.

chris.estus (8 years ago) Reply

Whats up with hollywood all of a sudden with all the big budget P.A.? I don't want to complain, but they may want to slow down so people son't get burned out. I think "The Road" will be a much better if not depressing movie. This is just hollywood blindly turning another graphic novel (comic) into a film. I think these days if it is drawn and doesn't have a hard cover hollywood will make it into a movie. I don't want to complain but there is an abundance of classic P.A. books that are just waiting to be turned into a new classic film.

geoduck (8 years ago) Reply

All the PAs out of Hollywood are just responding to the culture. We've gone over the cliff in this country, and I suspect most people know it, if only unconsciously. The only question now is how truly apocalyptic the crash at the bottom of said cliff is. (And no, I'm not blaming Obama, this has been a long time coming..)

Jonas (8 years ago) Reply

I thought this looked amazing. But I love the dusty-modern-ruined urban landscape-type PA movies so..

Hopefully the book in the movie isn't the bible because that would be extremely stupid considering there should be like thousands of those books lying around. Especially in the states.

But if the film does have some christian stuff thrown in I'm hoping its about a new part added to the bible written by Denzels character. Like he's a new prophet or something.

I could get behind that story wise. (and i'm an atheist)

That obama comment a previous commenter wrote is some hilarious racism right there. haha crikey :D

I have already seen FREEDOM DEEP. Why do I need to see this?