Christopher Webster [Celluloid 10.29.09] movie trailer news scifi fantasy adventure

The international trailer for James Cameron's AVATAR, which was leaked and quickly yanked, is back online in glorious HD.

I'll just preface some of the thoughts in my last post by saying that I like this trailer better than the first teaser. For obvious reasons really. First, it's actually got dialog in it so we get a better sense of the film's characters and relationships, but more importantly this trailer has that warm and fuzzy space opera feeling I think we all wanted. In terms of the film's look, I'm still torn. There are certainly some wow moments, but I find that whenever there aren't any humans on the screen I'm left with something that's photo-real, but in the same way Beowulf was. Uncanny valley at work? Maybe. Or CGI just still can't replace the real thing.

But Avatar's officially looking better, no question. Whether it will be a game changer in any respect other than 3D technology remains to be seen I think. Hell knows I'll be seeing this opening weekend either way. Will you?

Watch the international trailer for AVATAR after the break.

Synopsis:
In the future, Jake, a paraplegic war veteran, is brought to another planet, Pandora, which is inhabited by the Na'vi, a humanoid race with their own language and culture. Those from Earth find themselves at odds with each other and the local culture.

joe (11 years ago) Reply

Holy shit that’s what I am talking about .This is the trailer we have been waiting for great to see some Avatar Day footage mixed in too.This is a must watch in 3d it will not look animated or unreal in 3d I promise you that.Now it’s only up to the audiences to go and watch it and make it a big hit like Terminator 2.Remember Sherlock Holmes will not damage this movie because it’s gonna last at least 3d months in 3d theaters in Imax and it’s gonna be on a longer run than the other movies.So it will pick in it’s second and third week and make more money like his other movies did.I won’t go on the opening weekend and tell that if the movie open to 65 million that it is a flop it depend on the longer run.As far I am concerned Avatar won’t go easily out of theaters and people who don’t know anything about Avatar will a lot of time to come and watch it again and again.

Skinstripper (11 years ago) Reply

I have ABSOLUTELY NO DESIRE TO SEE THIS RECYCLED PIECE OF TRASH! It's always the White Man who comes to save the poor little minorities. For the love of GOD, get with it Hollywood! This is the same tired premise that is used in all films of this nature. Make the white man evil, then make a white man save the non-whites. Wow. It talks down to the people so much. Tired tripe. Sad, I was so looking forward to this. The story is so predictable and boring. The CG is ok, but not revolutionary. The creature designs are boring and re-hashed. The characters look one dimensional, especially the "villains". Terms like "savages" and sneers on their faces. Wow. Again, I say Wow. I've seen student films better than this. What a sorry state Hollywood is in. Funny, my security words to post this are "handicapped" and "mindless". Sigh.

rek (11 years ago) Reply

Utterly predictable plot, but it's pretty so I'll watch it.

Cpt.No_Life (11 years ago) Reply

There hasn't been an action movie in the past 20 years that isn't predictable, baring the occasional minor twist. This movie however does look fairly epic and worth the price of admission

WOW!!!!! A decade in the works eh? For what??? A bloated Sy-Fy Channel movie!!! All hail 3D, the flowering money tree of the decaying banal film industry. Ugh!!!

Marina (11 years ago) Reply

It definitely looks like the kind of multi-million dollar movie we've come to expect from Cameron (the first footage didn't really give any indication of that) but I'm still not sure - can't help but agree that it feels recycled. The real question is whether the promise of immersive 3D will be enough of an attraction. They're going to need much more than "fanboy" support to earn back this budget.

Clifton Santiago (11 years ago) Reply

This really looks like a ridiculous piece of crap. When a member of the unholy trinity of hollywood (Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron) releases an epic piece of doodoo such as this, it is truly a time to celebrate. To celebrate the complete mental retardation of the hollywood and the american public. Only someone who was completely deluded would consider this to be a valuable pursuit for 10 years of their life. The creators of this film, are completely trapped in at the bottom of the Uncanny Valley.

West (11 years ago) Reply

James Cameron, I would ask your money back from the animation department. The navi look like crap you should have hired pixar instead.

Skinstripper: U got that right .. white man havn't brought anything but pain to every people he have meet, and the proud Americans keeps up the tradition even today. I am gonna love this movie. death to all racists.

Tommy Boy (11 years ago) Reply

Finally, a big screen adventure for the oft overlooked furry demo. Ewww. Also, could someone please explain to me why, in that technologically advanced future, he is in a wheelchair, and a wheelchair from twenty years ago no less. I mean don't they have the tech to repair his legs or at least get him something with a motor on it?

Sunolet (11 years ago) Reply

Skinstripper: i think i prefered the old days when people talked about the quality of the trailer than racial stereotypes i mean jesus does it matter that much? face it a majority of people do not give a shit past put $3 in the box to help us. regardless of race, now if it had been a black guy saving them, you'd be screaming about how racist it is that the black guy is joining up with the natives. you're seeing racism where there is none, just like the guy from the houston chronicle over left 4 dead 2, stop refering to caucasians as "the white man" because honestly that is just as racist as what you claim this movie to be

(when was the last time you saw a science fiction movie on another planet where the alien race was still using bows and arrows?)

yea at the moment Japan has already developed the bionic legs. Wheel Chairs are a thing of the Past.

This looks like it will be a very amazing Film!

rek (11 years ago) Reply

Avatar is really a commercial for the 3D filming technique, which is where Cameron will make the money back (and more). Within 10-15 years pretty much every mainstream movie is going to be in 3D.

one word...Ewoks *shakes head*...not good...not good at all.

Skinstripper (11 years ago) Reply

: ) Name me a blockbuster film where a white man didn't come in to save the natives, when that was the tired old story they used. It's so cliche. Why can't the natives save themselves? Why can't there be ANY other type of plot device than that? He spent so much time on this piece of eye candy, he should have at least read some good science fiction to get a better idea of originality. Why not a black guy? Why not a woman? Why not another alien? Why not a fucking talking dog? I'm not concentrating on race, but the same old crap Hollywood keeps spewing out with a vengeance. Use some goddamn imagination, that's all I'm asking.

Gerwalk78 (11 years ago) Reply

Blah Blah Blah. I'm a movie snob too.