agentorange [Celluloid 03.10.10] movie trailer news cyberpunk scifi action

Pin It Share on Google+

Many moons ago, Albert Pyun began work on an upgrade of his frenetic, B cyberpunk opus, Nemesis. The plan was to re-release it on DVD in proper aspect ratio and all tarted up with the latest CG imagery to make the film more in line with Pun's original vision - as in more scifi and much more violent.

Unfortunately the crew behind the project only had time to start work on the film's first few minutes before the funding ran dry and the project halted.

For those of you who've wondered what the new version would have been like, we've been given a look at a promo that was created back in the day for foreign distributors to see at the Cannes film market.

Pyun seems interested in bringing the project back and I hope he releases his ideal vision.

Check it out after the break.

NEMESIS v2.0 Teaser Promo from Albert Pyun on Vimeo.

JackCrow (4 years ago) Reply

Hope the find funding, because the oldskul look is right there.
Reminded me of Hardware 90's /Cyborg 89' cross, and the memory of it is fond.

I wish them well.

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Hi JackCrow,

We're trying hard to amke it happen and hopeful it can be finished and out in early 2011. The first 17 minutes are finished and includes entirely new scenes.

Best,
Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com
www.bulletfacemovies.com

perkules (4 years ago) Reply

Looks really nice!!! The original film is one of the best cyborg films and one of my favorite films. I wonder how the final (stop-motion) fight scene on the helicopter will look in v.2.0.

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

We're definitely going to attack that end fight with CG guns blazing. I actually like the sort of throwback feel to it, but our plan is to expand it and to have a bigger fight once their outside of the craft which is sent diving out of control towards the now erupting volcano. We did some tests for Imperial Entertainment on upgrading the creature in a Rutger Hauer film called Split Second. We'll likely use that CG modeled creature as the basis of the CG enhanced Nemesis "Farnsworth" cyborg in that end fight.

Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com
www.bulletfacemovie.com

pat (4 years ago) Reply

wish u all the best. it looks well cool. cant wait to see more.

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

I'll try to post more clips and screen grabs of the work in progress for everyone's comment so we know we are on the right track. Where the CG enhancement really works is in creating a more saturated cyber world. Its still more gritty than sterile but each shot is dense with some type of cyber element.

Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

FALLEN101 (4 years ago) Reply

Looks amazing, but with the 2.0 release, is there also going to be a rerelease of the original version? (I found it on DVD on the internet for an absorbant rate and I think it might be pirated so just wondering if an official version is out there/coming out)

bad dog (4 years ago) Reply

Nice!

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

The idea would be to have both versions in a DVD package and the original in its proper 2:35 widescreen format.

Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

Cap (4 years ago) Reply

Looks really cool! Hope they do put both versions in one package.

talktalkfan (4 years ago) Reply

Hey Albert,

The footage looks very promising. I really like the Nemesis films, especially the first two. They are such a terrific melding of punk sci-fi, apolocalptic noir and art surrealism. Although Gruner is a rather bland actor, the atmosphere, themes and action is where the film excels. The new CGI enhancements are terrific and definetly expand the scope of the film. I really hope it happens.

please no! bad CGI don`t make this cult-movie better!

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Well Anonymous, I think where we are improving the film is story clarity and in realizing a dense cyber world which we couldn't do back in 1992. The sound design is also redone into a richly detailed 5.1 soundtrack. So its really a souping up of the vehicle. Under the hood stuff. I'll post some screen grabs at my site so you can take a peek and comment - www.albertpyunmovies.com

We won't mess with what works with bad CG.

Best,
Albert

MSBaker (4 years ago) Reply

I love Nemesis and would be very interested to see an upgrade to it. It is truly a cult-classic, and an upgrade would probably bring in a new generation of fans.

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Yeah, the hope is to gain greater awareness of the original in advance of the CYBORG / NEMESIS post apocalyptic movies I am planning to shoot at the end of this year.

Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

Hot Fuzz (4 years ago) Reply

A re-release of Nemesis in widescreen would be ideal, with or without upgrades. If not widescreen then no point. Also, Nemesis 2 widescreen please (2-disc DVD maybe)?

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Hey, that's a great idea. i'll see if a three disc set can be done (Nemesis, Nemesis v2.0 upgrade and Nemesis 2). I'll inquire right now about it. And I agree, only the proper widescreen versions. FYI - the laser disc version was not in the actual screen ration but some funky 1:85. Don't believe there's ever been a true widescreen 2:35 version.

Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

coyoteblue (4 years ago) Reply

A dvd of Nemesis (finally) would be great and the cgi enhancements look very promising. Look forward to seeing it. The comment about Split Second, 'We did some tests for Imperial Entertainment on upgrading the creature in a Rutger Hauer film called Split Second.', piqued my curiosity. Is there a possibility that we'll see a release of Split Second with updated effects?

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

I don't know what happened to the Split Second upgrade. We were mainly creating a CG creature to replace the rubber suit variety in the film now. But the company that owned the rights went bankrupt and so I'm sure its in some type of financial limbo until the rights are sorted out. I really liked the work we were doing for it and was disappointed not to be able to see it finished. I think we had about a dozen shots finished with the new 3D CG creature.

albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

MrSatyre (4 years ago) Reply

I'm stoked for this version 2! I'll never forget seeing this movie for the first time, all those years ago, and it was so much over the top fun!

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Yeah, I am looking forward to seeing it as well. The redesign of the soundtrack into a full blown 5.1 track will really make a difference. When Nemesis came out in 1992, soundtracks were limited to stereo and to optical negative tracks on the film itself. So sound mixes back then employed limiters and sound gates to keep sound from distorting on optical negative tracks because they could only handle a narrow range of frequency and volume. It's the sound upgrade that you'll literally feel is improved!

albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

David Sakurai (4 years ago) Reply

Nemesis was so ahead of its time when it came out. I saw it in Denmark and remember how popular that film was when it came out on video which already back then included a making of!
Been looking forward to a PROPER dvd release of this classic.. This and Cyborg definitely deserves a special edition release and I'm sure there will be a great audience for it today!
All the best to you Mr. Pyun!

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Thanks, David for the kind words. Much appreciated. For years its been a aggravation that the films haven't been presented as they should be as each has been released. With Nemesis there was a production exec who was responsible for making sure that the film was never released in widescreen. I'll go into that further on my blog but it was due to petty jealousy. as or Cyborg, I'm hoping that MGM's sale to a new owner won't deril the plans for a director's cut in Blu-Ray. The current execs are excited about the prospect.

Albert
www.albertpyunmovies.com

Michael Jackson (4 years ago) Reply

Albert,
Good to see that this is finally coming out. It's been something like 10 years since I helped work on these upgrades with you. I wish you the best on this rerelease.

Mike Jackson

Albert Pyun (4 years ago) Reply

Hi Mike!

Wow, so great that you can see your hard work getting out finally. Looks like everything with rights is finally getting resolved so we can move forward. What a windy road it was. And good grief has the CG world changed since our little group started on this in 1998. Boy, I miss those days -- well, not the continual need to upgrade machines and software. What a nightmare that was. More to come! Hope you're doing well and are as busy as you want to be, Mike.

Best,
Albert
www.AlbertPyunMovies.com

dkcecil (4 years ago) Reply

Nemesis is one of my all time favorite movies! Hands down one of the best Sci-fi action flicks ever. The new stuff looks amazing, I really hope you get to finish it Albert. I own the original DVD and I will buy version 2.0 day one when it is released.

Darren A. (4 years ago) Reply

Am slightly sceptical of CG updates not meshing with the original film (please don't go all Star Wars Special Edition on this!) but have such mad love for Nemesis that I would be fascinated to see anything that presents it more in line with what the director intended. I never caught part 2 tho... If there is a possibility of a 3 disc set, or even just the special addition of Nemesis, can we please get director commentaries? (Preferably a different one for each version?) Best of luck with the project, look forward to purchasing the end product!

Island Girl (4 years ago) Reply

you gonna pay us back here in Guam anytime soon, Mr. Pyun?

"you gonna pay us back here in Guam anytime soon, Mr. Pyun?" Not likely - even though he master planned and executed the whole thing, he made sure the Production Company took all the liability and then f'd them by not delivering a complete movie. LOL. He really is a genius.

Island Girl (4 years ago) Reply

Genius... umm... not so much. Dishonest? Yes, he is that in spades.

He did the same thing to Hawaii what he did to Guam, minus getting the public money. Hawaii was a little smarter then Guam. Still, the a-hole came into town talking his "I'm a big time film maker" talk and got everyone to pitch in, then he splits.

The guy is total f*ck...

Albert Pyun suffers from severe Hollywooditis, a condition that causes untalented hacks to believe that they are actually successful Hollywood directors.

Yes, yes, we know Albert, your "never going to give up." Nor can a tiger ever change his stripes no matter how hard they try.

Dude, you suck

David (4 years ago) Reply

Alex:Love to see this version on DVD. Just don't go too nuts with the CGI as I love the old school physical effects like when Oliver shoots the floor out from underneath himself. Len Wiseman gave you props in Underworld for that shot.

mad mordiggan (4 years ago) Reply

Its best on ex rental vhs with all the adds!! but if its remasterd maby you could get rid of the narration and add more lazers!!!

I like the movie as it is...i dont like the upgrade idea..dont go George Lucas on it....keep your money and make a great new movie..really! Nemesis deserves a new release, but i think correct aspect ratio and a making of , interviews etc. would be enough . Part of the charme of movies like this is the fact that they arent perfect. I hate what Lucas did to his old star wars episodes CGI-wise. its money-grabbing evil!!!

David Vohs (3 years ago) Reply

All I gotta say is please make the "Farnsworth Fight" not so cringe-worthy, and, I think I speak for everyone when I say: "Director's Cut".

masque36 (2 years ago) Reply

Looks pretty good. Looking forward for the release.