Christopher Webster [Celluloid 03.30.10] movie news scifi action art

"Is this real?" Is no doubt the question going through all your minds right now. I get the skepticism and to answer the question I can only say that this piece of concept art comes to us from long-time movie illustrator Steve Simmons who has done art for a ton of movies including the upcoming Timeless and the Neil Marshall produced horror flick The Ghosts of Slaughterford.

I've put in some inquiries to see if this is indeed the first legit piece of concept art for Ridley Scott's in-development adaptation of the "Forever War" novel. The way I see it, if I get a C&D order it definitely is. If no one cares then it's probably not. Either way I'll let you know what I find out.

Forever War Synopsis:
An elite task force returns home after a brief interstellar military operation, but discovers that 20 years have past and the planet they once knew is completely different. Based on Joe Haldeman's 1974 novel "The Forever War". Based on Joe Haldeman's 1974 novel "The Forever War".

Take a gander at the full sized peice of art after the break.

Ben Austwick (7 years ago) Reply

Oh wow, another old fave SF novel on the big screen! I think this one could really work as well.

Skinstripper (7 years ago) Reply

Awesome! I love that series, and with Ridley at the helm, I'm sure it'll be spectacular. As long as he leaves his politics out of it. Of course, the book is all about the politics of war...heh

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

hirez:

By Stephen Simmons:

MrSatyre (7 years ago) Reply

"Series"??? C'mon, man. "Forever Peace" was a travesty; a horrible way to wrap up a story which needed no wrapping up to begin with.

"Leave politics out of it"??? What politics did Scott put into his other films? You've got me baffled there. And if Haldeman can put his leftist dogma into print, then surely Scott can put whatever political views he has onto film.

rek (7 years ago) Reply

Honestly I don't expect Collapsar planets to be anything like the are in the book. Maybe the first one, but not subsequent planets (if they're visited at all).

Which one had the entire earth go gay? Lol that would be amusing

Blakberi (7 years ago) Reply

I read the novella first and found the novels to be quite a departure and somehow disappointing (although they still kick serious SciFi arse) I would love to see what Ridley can do with this, an old favourite

I For one would like to see that come to life
in 3D.