Christopher Webster [Celluloid 03.31.10] Australia movie trailer apocalyptic news

Tomorrow: When the War Began is a new Aussie flick based on the young adult book series about teens who have to take on an invading force to save their families. Yep, the film sounds very Red Dawn in nature and I don't care. I can't wait to check it out.

Synopsis:
When their country is invaded and their families are all taken, eight unlikely high school teenagers band together to fight.

The film is directed by Australian screenwriter Stuart Beatie (Pirates of the Caribbean, Collateral, 30 Days of Night).

Watch the teaser for the film (via: yourmovies.com) after the break.

S (8 years ago) Reply

while the trailer didn't really tell us what the mood will be, i did like the trailer preview image atleast :)

Michael Allen (8 years ago) Reply

Haha, this is such a rip-off of Red Dawn but as they say: "there are only so many stories to tell."

who cud stand that accent for 90+mins???????

i bet this is one of those novels/films where in the end they dont even tell u what country/force attacked them. its just going to be an 'evil nation'.

Diggler (8 years ago) Reply

Yep it's a kind of Red Dawn rip-off, but it is quite a good series of books. As for the "who cud stand the accent". The accent is far easier to understand than hick American's, so STFU and learn to spell!

MrSatyre (8 years ago) Reply

Tsk-tsk, Diggler. A wee bit sensitive, are we? Perhaps you could invest some time yourself in researching proper punctuation. ;-)

uncleB (8 years ago) Reply

ehhh
but it does look as good as anything else in that genre. the red dawn remake stars the fat kid from nickolodian

Kresh (8 years ago) Reply

Who could it be? Hmm. Well, unless India goes off on a bender, the most logical invading force would be China.

Based on the wikipedia, the author didn't describe much beyond what the characters saw themselves. Not greater scope, no idea how the rest of Australia was doing, nothing.

I'm wondering how they'll pull that off in a movie, a visual media. An army with no flags or insignia? Good luck with that.

Frankoohh (8 years ago) Reply

It's such a shame that the cast is so mediocre.

wa5 (8 years ago) Reply

I have read the complete series, and the invaders are never actually identified...
My 2c.. the author is refering to Indonesia.

A very well written series (and also the after series, set just after the war ends) moreso considering this is aimed at teens, not adult readers...

Part of the Movie (the main street of Wirrawee) was Filmed at Raymond Terrace... around 15 miles from my home... one of my mates scored the fuel pump from the prop service station..

I can sit through any good movie, no matter the nationality, cant say the actors accent ever really bothers me... except when one nationality tries and fails to "do" anothers accent.. Meryl Streep crying "A Doingo took moi Boyboy (translation... A dingo took my baby)in the Australian production "Evil Angels" springs immediatly to mind...

Shows such as Time Trax and the 90s series of Mission Impossible (both filmed in OZ) had some equally dreadful yank accents murdered by Aussie actors...

Reedie (8 years ago) Reply

There's no way of Twtwb be a copy of Red Dawn, because this series was first published in 1990's, which is so earlier of wahetever other story.

tomtoms (8 years ago) Reply

uhhh, i hope they will depict the invaders as indonesian LOL (me being indonesian myself :D:D)
realistically, the real indonesian armed forces is in no condition to invade our southern neighbour (easier to imagine us invading east timor again or png).
but
1. assuming the jet making a low bombing in the trailer pass is an f-16 (cant get a clear view of it on my browser)
2. considering the marsden guy mentioned east timor and west papua
3. and since the invasion is rather blitzy and sudden ...
yeah, i gather the invaders are either indonesian or tasmanian LOL
just my two hundred rupiahs.

Diggler (8 years ago) Reply

To MrSatyre, yes my punctuation is quite sad. Though I find it quite rude to think that a normal Australian accent is hard on the ears. Meryl Streep in Evil Angels had the NW Queensland accent down pat. I lived in Mt Isa and they did actually speak like that. Which, unluckily seems to be the exaggerated accent used in American productions.

wa5 (8 years ago) Reply

Red Dawn was released in 1984 (and is on TV tonight) perhaps it did inspire Marsden, I think his story is significantly different to Red Dawn (I'll watch it tonight )...
Lindy Chamberlain only lived in QLD for around six years prior to Azarias' dissapearance, Having spent the previous five years in Tasmania, She was actually a south pacific pom (New Zealander) originally.. I still reckon the accent sucked.

this movie will be better than red dawn could ever be. Red dawn is shallow and crap, twtwb is deep and realisticly shows the effects war would have on a teenager.

wa5 (8 years ago) Reply

Agreed. Marsdens' work does seem deeper than the movie Red Dawn, lets see how the film adaptation of his book turns out though...

Interesting but I doubt Australian citizens could defend themselves against an enemy invasion the way American citizens can because the Australian Govt has largely disarmed the Australian populace. It's very difficult & in some cases impossible for the average Australian citizen to own a gun. So I'm afraid that if there ever was an invasion of Australia & it became occupied, there are very few Australians who would be able to engage in any sort of armed resistance or insurgency.

KibiDango (8 years ago) Reply

@Anon-

Lack of firearms is probably why you don't see much in the way of actual fighting in this trailer, and when you do they're using an AMD-65. Although that does beg the question, which military would invade NZ/AU using Hungarian weapons..?

@TomToms

The aircraft making the (absurdly) low bombing run is a delta-wing fighter of some sort. You also see the outline when the mixed bomber and fighter formation flies over the campers. The bombers look like Russian TU-160's, but I'm not sure if there are any Asian nations that use those.

I have a feeling this is going to come off a lot more "Red Dawn" than the books intended, but I'm still gonna watch it!

i reckon they will use weapons from a collection of countries so that they dont give away an actual country.

Dela wing fighter that looks like an F-16...

I have actually seen the movie (8 years ago) Reply

Actually Anon, i live in an area similar to that depicted in the movie, (rural/farming) and every house has at least one firearm. its a neccesity on a farm, and in the opening scenes of the movie, before the invasion, you will see Ellie, the main girl, carring a .22? rifle with her (its how they get the rabbits)

and besides, how good is a 130 kg msn, living in an inner city townhouse/arpartment, with the typical american attitude (like your own) of "im the best" supposed to do better then an in shape 17/18 year old the has lived on the land their entire life?

im sick and tired of ppl saying its a ripoff of red dawn ... who honeslt givs a crap get over it i havent seen red dawn and i dont plan to becaus judging by the title red dawn it seems prity crap