agentorange [Celluloid 05.08.10] movie news horror thriller fantasy gallery

Pin It Share on Google+

Marcus Nispel's new Conan movie is currently underway in Bistriza, Bulgaria and the first set images have appeared courtesy of operationkino. No, they're not much to look at. A murky thatched hut fantasy village that will no doubt end up being the home of young Conan that gets burned to the ground by Khalar Singh, but, as a Robert E. Howard nut, it's truly awesome to see this coming together.

And yeah, yeah I know Pathfinder wasn't the BEST, but it had the best vikings in a movie ever and I have faith that Nispel won't let Conan turn into a dorky summer fantasy like Prince of Persia, or, God help us, Scorpion King. Robert E. Howard's world if full of dark magic, death and sex and with Nispel, Lionsgate and Nu-image at the helm it feels like the right combination of players to make it come alive.

Synopsis:
The tale of Conan the Cimmerian and his adventures across the continent of Hyboria on a quest to avenge the murder of his father and the slaughter of his village.

Conan stars Stargate Atlantis' Jason Momoa as Conan, Ron Perlman as his dad, Avatar's Stephen Lang as Khalar Singh, Rose Rose McGowan and Rachel Nichols. It is set for release in the summer of 2011.

UPDATE: More photos courtesy of this production crew-woman's facebook page.

Set images after the break.

nasser (3 years ago) Reply

lame ass pics. they should've panned down and showed us stills of the mud. people get paid for this crap. cant anyone @ quietearth have the balls 2 not post such generic images or mention that the set images r so whitebread?

Ivan (3 years ago) Reply

The images are fan made.

Ivan (3 years ago) Reply

No one got paid, no professionals were involved.

Personally, I think that the movie will be watchable at best. But even if it sux badly, everyone is going to watch it. Right?

What makes you say that? Where's your proof?

Also, considering these are the first images EVER seen from the Conan movie, I consider them news. Will I post every single bland set pic from here on out? F**ck no. But remember, you saw it here first.

Ivan (3 years ago) Reply

Nu Image is involved. Arnold is not.

I have doubts about the guy who is going to play Conan, and you have to agree with me that Arnold's charisma was important part in the original movie.

However. I like the visual style of Nispel. Visually the new Conan movie will be wonderful, not doubt, but otherwise... Time will tell.

Don't pay any attention to me. I'm born skeptic.

Anglebender (3 years ago) Reply

I'm there with you Ivan, I just hope someone doesn't try to retrofit 3D onto it, make another stinker like Clash of the Titans.

witchman (3 years ago) Reply

i can see the connection with Nispel and Pathfinder, visually it may work. But f*** me, Friday the 13th redux was atrocious! Hands down one of THE worst remakes i have ever attempted to watch. Was he even on set? .... or stuck in his air conditioned limo? Whatever the case, i hope he pulls the rabbit out of the hat for this one.

oh nooooooo. not another remake. owe well, I guess that the thousands of original scripts are sooooo horible that this is the only thing to save hollywood,lol thats a damn shame too, cause I really like these types of movies including the original!!!

Darren Albert (3 years ago) Reply

Boring photo's, but photo's nonetheless. Can't wait to see the first one of Jason Momoa though, I think he's going to be an awesome Conan.

Waldgeist (3 years ago) Reply

Well there have been more shots of sets a lot earlier than these. But we decided not to post them, as the producers asked the creator of the photos to take them down.

On or FB page a lady, that was part of the Conan production posted a link to her FB pictures - http://www.facebook.com/conanmovieblog?v=app_6261817190

Enjoy.

Ivan (3 years ago) Reply

They look like some gypsy hippies.

And those small titties... I told you, guys - this movie will sux:)

Blakberi (3 years ago) Reply

The movie will sux (sic) because of small titties??

WTF is wrong with you?

Back on track, I loved Pathfinder, it was original and gorgeously shot. I am no fan of Conan (the movies or comic) but with Nispel helming I will give this a chance

MrSatyre (3 years ago) Reply

I have deliberately been avoiding most of the news regarding this film, mainly due to the fact that I am a REH-phile, and really don't want to be disappointed again. As fun as the original Conan film with Ahnold was (and I agree, his magnetism was key to that film's success), the story was very weak and not at all up to even the flimsiest REH short story.

As with most Hollywood "interpretations" of classic fantasy or SF stories, I fear that this Conan will also be pared down to the basest of elements. That's particularly sad in the case of Conan, as Red Nails, The Hour of the Dragon, and many others have all the necessary elements to a blockbuster.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, tho'...

GET TO DA CHOPPAAAAAA (3 years ago) Reply

this is the scene where Schwarzenegger has sex with that crazy witch doctor after he gets released! LOL!

If that is where Conan will be growing up it's hard to get used to there being no snow. I love how the first one opened up, it was memorable and emotional. We'll have to see what they do in this one, compared to the first. Costumes are looking good though!

@Blakberi Pathfinder was in no way original, it was a remake with a pretty generic look, horrendous acting and terrible dialogue. The icelandic in the film had me laughing throughout. Nispel is pretty fucking shitty, he has also only made remakes...

Ivan (3 years ago) Reply

Blakberi. I was kidding.

The link to Facebook is not working anymore...

Waldgeist (3 years ago) Reply

Yup. It looks like the lady got a friendly message from the producers too, to pull down the images. The very reason I did not put them up on the blog... i feared the producers might get angry with me too :D

X (3 years ago) Reply

I ENJOY TO SEE THE LAMENTING OF THE WOMEN.

donc48 (3 years ago) Reply

My, My such hostility where to start? First I like woman with small titties, gravity is never kind to large breasted women. Two can someone in the wastelands please explain the need for still another remake?
There are tons of great scripts out there do we really need a remake of Conan? The slew of movies bases on comic books ok, ok I get it (Not really) but I held my tongue out of respect of those who live and die over such issues, and waited years for their favorite graphic novel i.e. comic book to arrive on the big screen.
NU Image should scare people guess who did some of those classics on SYFY Saturday. Is originality dead in Hollywood I know common sense died there some time ago?
I saw the original Conan I never read any of the books, but the movie was ok. It wasn’t Remains of the Day, but it was ok it was a fun flick to watch, but we need to move on.

A lot of very immature people post here.
little teen boys?
This is a director's vision of how they see the Conan story. New Script, new actors, new locations, new music(which I doubt will be as good as the first fantastic score)
It's in production and just might be totally amazing!

Blakberi (3 years ago) Reply

What was Pathfinder a remake of? Whether or not you thought it was un-original, to my untrained eye, it worked. That is solely my opinion, and it is fine for you to think otherwise

wilcoy (3 years ago) Reply

'Conan The Dreadlocks'Jason Momoa...please! Crom Not happy with puny new Conan.

Brett Weir (3 years ago) Reply

Momoa is NOT Conan. The guy looks like some hippie who should be dancing through a cloud of Patchouli somewhere.

If these pics tell me anything... it is that I will be seeing this on TBS in about 3 years, not in the theatre.

@Blakberi: Pathfinder was a remake of Ofelas, a norwegian film.

He is looking good as Conan!

sm (3 years ago) Reply

Those aren't set pix, that's what Bulgaria actually looks like. Buh dump BING!

We had those pics up way before Latino Review. Not sure why they're getting linked here and elsewhere.

I heard Nathan Jones (from WWE and TROY) was going to be in this film, can anyone confirm????

Ivan (3 years ago) Reply

The new Conan looks like a 15 year old girl would have imagined it.

The old Conan was not a teen movie. I see that the new Conan is not meant for "old" guys like me. I know that we are not in the 80s, but still is a bit disappointing.

MissBunny (3 years ago) Reply

Like the background pics. The village girls don't look like models for once. Shame we can't see the face of the guy playing Conan up close - the 2 here both look a bit foggy to me. Sorry but I haven't heard of him.

Conan is Jason Momoa. Look up his name and you will find pictures of him.

The girls are probably meant to be part of some primitive tribe or something like that. I hope that they play only small part and we will see some fine ladies.

It could be a fun movie to watch.

David Banner (3 years ago) Reply

I always hoped for a Conan with a bulked up Peter Steele(R.I.P.). This Moma/Momo(?) guy who played in Stargate Atlantis doesnt quite fit the part imo.

JLC (3 years ago) Reply

A joke of a movie on it's way... a black Conan. A bad sad joke.

The Man from the Ministry (3 years ago) Reply

Firstly, Jason Momoa isn't black, he's Hawaiian. Also, Conan is actually described as having dark skin and black hair in Robert E. Howard's original stories.