Christopher Webster [Celluloid 06.08.10] movie news short video game

I've been ignoring this all day thinking is was nothing more than a copycat of the recent Street Fighter short film that was pretty much pointless. But after finally breaking down and watching it I'm pretty floored. Sure it feels like it was made by WWE and all, but seriously, check it out.

From what I've pieved together, the short appeared on youtube to little fanfare but it's waaay too pro to be a fan film so everyone's assuming it's been created by Warner Bros to get the ball rolling on a live-action reboot. Well, if this is the direction they intend to go, I say go for it.

Anyway, it's after the break if you care.

HydraEclipse (9 years ago) Reply

This is probably a tease for E3 and Mortal Combat 9, which is supposed to be much darker and more realistic (no magic in the film thank God). If it was for a real movie somebody would have heard something before now.

Yeah, this is a promo for the new game, not a film.

Hot Fuzz (9 years ago) Reply

Nope, you guys are wrong, It's for a film.

Confirmed here:

Anglebender (9 years ago) Reply

This is what I call a reboot! I might actually see this.

Mr_Skyfish (9 years ago) Reply

oh man this looks so much better than the previous films and better than most of the games! Looking forward to this one!

Marina (9 years ago) Reply

If this is for a game it's awesome. If it's for a movie, I'll easily see the rest. That is SWEET!

when he was on thrown couch he could have broke that guys neck with leg lock to the neck and hell ton of other stuff that style of fighting just doesn't work, but looks cool on tv.

well made. great production values...

but

...so wats this to do with mortal kombat, really? they turned baraka from a demonic mutant monster into a narcissistic plastic surgeon...c'mon :D

rum (9 years ago) Reply

it was made by a director trying to get interest in getting the film made. this isnt a trailer, more of a concept short. personally i think they wound up the 'realism' too much. i hope if this does get turned into a movie, they tone it down a bit and still keep some of the fantasy intact... it IS about magic and martial arts after all....

oh yeah, and fail for killing off cage. yeah i know he 'dies' in the games too, but hes my fav character, and i think he deserves way more than a cheap death at the hands of a minor character. i hope he gets a significant role if this gets made.

Love this re-boot!! I think the realism is very cool!

soma (9 years ago) Reply

I like the look of this.

Deusmaximus (9 years ago) Reply

Looks great. A lot of good talent. Either way I hope this finds its way to a lot of people.