quietearth [Celluloid 08.02.10] Canada post apocalyptic movie news

I can think of 3 films off the top of my head that Justin McConnell's Canadia post apocalyptic feature sounds like but I'm not going to name them. Instead, I'll give you the synopsis and you tell us, what films specifically does this sound like? And I mean specifically, not vaguely!

In the wake of the end of the world, a family of four desperately tries to survive against insurmountable odds. Their goal: escaping the city and traveling to the rural community they once called home, Dover's Bend.

The constant threat of a violent death forcing them to stay as far away from civilization as possible, they take to the forest, soon to discover the danger posed by other survivors may be the least of their worries.

Shooting begins in late August. via Twitch

Leave your comments after the break!

Gabriel Zero (7 years ago) Reply

Actually. I can't really think of one off the top of my head. I almost thought the "Hill Have Eyes" with the whole "Family of Four" description. But as I continued reading I lost all of my list of similarities. The movie does sound pretty cool though

chuck (7 years ago) Reply

How about 'No Blade of New Ideas'?

Justin McConnell (7 years ago) Reply

I'm going to guess people are going to say things like "The Road", "The Crazies", or any number of zombie movies. Luckily, you'd all be wrong judging strictly from the synopsis. Just have to wait and see how wrong when the trailer drops in early October.

THE ROAD

Jezizup (7 years ago) Reply

Panic In The Year Zero! One of my personal faves.

donc48 (7 years ago) Reply

Please for the love of god stop The Road comparisons please. Jezizup Panic in the year Zero.

Justin McConnell (7 years ago) Reply

Yep, that one's pretty close (Panic in the Year Zero), if you look at just the face value log-lines. Must admit I haven't even heard of it until now, so I should probably watch it before we shoot so I don't accidentally "veer on the path" so to speak. But I highly doubt we will.

Scott (7 years ago) Reply

Sounds a fair bit like Time of the Wolf. Or One Hundred Mornings, but that impression is only based on the trailer, since it hasn't come out here.

chuck (7 years ago) Reply

Panic in the Year Zero has one of the best soundtracks of any PA film, recorded by Les Baxter.

rek (7 years ago) Reply

The Death of Grass (shot as No Blade of Grass) is about a London family fleeing the city to a valley farm the father grew up on, in the wake of the global die-off of all grass-related plants (which includes wheat, rice, barley, etc).

That comparison aside, the article's snarkiness is pointless and unwarranted: PA is a very, very narrow genre. "Guess which movie this sounds like!" could be stamped on more than half the teaser and synopsis articles posted here.

Boston Bulldog (7 years ago) Reply

It sounds exactly like a young adult PA book written by Will Weaver called "Memory Boy" about a family of four forced from their home by a complete collapse of civilization brought on by a string of Volcanoes all going off and causing environmental devastation. A good read even for adults as its written on several levels.