agentorange [Celluloid 08.23.10] movie trailer news scifi animation

Pin It Share on Google+

I was willing to chalk a bland teaser up to post production woes, but this first "trailer" for 40K's Ultramarines animated 3D epic is anything but. What a pity too as it stars such great actors as Terence Stamp, Sean Pertwee and John Hurt.

I don't know, maybe I'm being to hard on this. What does everyone else think?

Trailer after the break.

Crossbow (4 years ago) Reply

This looks like a video game cutscene, not a trailer for a motion picture. Seriously not impressed.

Quik (4 years ago) Reply

You are correct, does not look good. The opening shot looks like cigarette pub smoke, choppy trailer editing and they remind me of CGI Legos! The word that comes to mind is "Cheesy!"

zenseeker (4 years ago) Reply

You really thought this would turn out well? There was no way this was going to be decent without a massive budget and some good FX company's behind it.

Brett Weir (4 years ago) Reply

looks like a "straight to video"...

awe wanted this to have some shelf life but that looks like its going to be doa

Anglebender (4 years ago) Reply

WOW! A trailer for Dawn of War 3? AWESOME!

GreaterGood929 (4 years ago) Reply

Hey fellas, I've been animating for years. This movie is being done by an under-the-radar company with little experience to go by, not by Paramount or 20th Cent. Fox. They dont have 20 million dollars or hollywood quality production staff. For a straight-to-DvD by this kind of company, this movie looks freakin increadible.
Jeeez. Talk about Jaded.

look this looks like Crap! and the music for the trailer isn't even fitting the trailer. There is no substance, the animation has that plastic look, there isn't any atmosphere, and it looks like the intro to some cheesy low budget game. I have seen CGI short films on CGI society that do a better job of VFX. Even Blender does a better job.

Lotus Eater (4 years ago) Reply

Burn the heretic, Kill the mutant, Purge the unclean!

uncleB (4 years ago) Reply

the smoke effect is cheesy

Toothless Agression (4 years ago) Reply

At first I thought it had something to do with Warhammer 40k

cheesesburgersarefat (4 years ago) Reply

damn!!! dead before it ever hits the street...wish I coul dhave the $$$ they wasted on that....

Diggler (4 years ago) Reply

Looks like a game cinematic from... 1998! Diablo's 320x240 cinematic actually had more impact, and quality than this trailer.

Maybe they should have gotten the guys who did the original Dawn of War cinematic trailer to do the film it would have been KICK ARSE!

Sar (4 years ago) Reply

For what it's worth I liked it and I'm definitely going to see it.

Looks horrendous. 2004 dawn of war game trailer looks more interesting and less outdated.

I could forgive compromised visuals for a story. But this one doesn't even hint of having any kind of story telling.

I expect dialogue with yawning triggering long lines about pride, honor sacrifice. Then senseless badly edited "action" with gore to compensate the lack of plot, goal or structure.

70 minutes of even crap like this gets expensive to make. I see bankruptcies ahead.

Roboute Guilliman will time travel to our alternate reality and declare exterminatus on everyone involved in this heresy. Seriously, someone must have uploaded the draft render. Right ? Right ??

Rook (4 years ago) Reply

I liked it too. This is, after all, a straight to DVD release and not a major motion picture. It just has to be good enough to generate some interest in a live action movie (which is what I suspect its purpose to be, sort of like a demo reel).

It probably won't be great, but as a 40K fan, I'll buy a copy of the DVD just on principle. :-)

ceefax (4 years ago) Reply

who in their office sat down and went

"Y'know, as a concept..why dont we make them look like actual painted citadel miniatures"

I seriously reckon they may have had that idea, and no one thought it through until it was too late.

orgasmatron (4 years ago) Reply

Old Warcraft 3 cinematics look better and have more atmosphere than this...whatever it is.
And there I was hoping for a decent WH40k movie.

KingFelix (4 years ago) Reply

The second trailer is luckily much stronger...

First time you watch it put it full screen & HD quality for the full effect.

King Felix (3 years ago) Reply

I have just finished watching the Ultramarines movie on DVD, and yes the graphics are not Avatar but once you get swept up in the plot, and immersed in the world, it is all good.

I agree it is a solid film where it counts, in the atmosphere, and an encouraging start for a small independent company .

I liked some of the lines from the film, and thought they would make comically awesome ring tones...

Then I found out today you can download them here!