Marina Antunes [Celluloid 09.09.10] post apocalyptic movie trailer apocalyptic news scifi horror action dystopic

Pin It Share on Google+

I want to like Priest. Heck, I want to love Priest. There’s a lot to get exited about. Vampires, a post-apocalyptic world, priests hunting vampires, deserted sandy landscapes, cool technology and the promise of lots of vampire killing action. Oh yeah, and a great cast including Paul Bettany, Cam Gigandet, Maggie Q, Karl Urban, Lily Collins, Stephen Moyer and Christopher Plummer.

But then you have to consider that director Scott Charles Stewart rewarded us with another great sounding film (complete with great trailer) earlier in the year. You might remember it. It turned out to be an atrocious piece of crap which also starred Bettany. Or perhaps you don’t want to be reminded. I know I’d rather forget that it ever happened (and that I spent good money to see it).

So what do I make of this shinny new trailer for Priest (there’s an older one floating around)? Well, it looks nice. It even looks promising but I find it extremely difficult to get really excited as the chances this will disappoint are pretty high. I know, I know, give it a chance; everyone’s entitled to a second chance but seriously, the crap Stewart presented earlier in the year was so bad, I nearly lost hope in Bettany.

Based on Min-Woo Hyung’s graphic novel series, Priest

Is a post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller, is set in an alternate world -- one ravaged by centuries of war between man and vampires. The story revolves around a legendary Warrior Priest (Paul Bettany) from the last Vampire War who now lives in obscurity among the other downtrodden human inhabitants in walled-in dystopian cities ruled by the Church. When his niece (Lily Collins) is abducted by a murderous pack of vampires, Priest breaks his sacred vows to venture out on a quest to find her before they turn her into one of them. He is joined on his crusade by his niece's boyfriend (Cam Gigandet), a trigger-fingered young wasteland sheriff, and a former Warrior Priestess (Maggie Q) who possesses otherworldly fighting skills.

Am I alone in my trepidation or are others sharing my cautious approach?

Pretty new trailer after the break.

Fox (4 years ago) Reply

"Judge Dredd´s Darkwatch: The Underworld Mutant Chronicles of Doom"

(Even Karl Urban stars in it!)

Heck, it doesn´t matter:-) I found the movie one mustn´t talk about not too bad, there are far worse crapfests around. And this here looks quite interesting, visually speaking. The cross-shuriken are a neat gimmick...let´s wait and see

VirtualSurf (4 years ago) Reply

Priest is different. It will be good and a huge success, just because Cam Gigandet stars in it.

Better hang fire until the real deal is out before passing final comment. Legion looked good in the trails, but when you watch it... you realize you really can polish a turd.

cyclops76 (4 years ago) Reply

Well, at least the vampires look cool. I'm fed up with the way vampires have been portrayed in the last 15 or more years. Hate Rice's gay vampires, can't stand today's teenage crappy vampires. Last decent vampires I got to watch were the ones in 30 Days of Night. Vampires are suposed to be scary, evil creatures, not "sexy" and "EMO". Only times I can stand a variation of the aforementimed clichés are when the story is too good, well thought or at least action packed and fun. Dracula (Oldman version, vampire in love but still, one mean bastard), Blade (some of the vampires just suck but the ones in Blade 2 were very cool), The lost boys (teenage vampires in love? yes, but lots of fun) Carpenter's Vampires (once again, not the best looking bunch with their gothwannabe look but still plenty of action, gore and violence) come to mind.

Everything in this looks pretty tight but the vampires, the vampires look stupid, is that CGI I would guess it is. They look like just dumb monsters with long teeth.

I haven't followed the Manga so I don't know what there like in it. Maybe I'll check it out. The trailer makes the film look more then your average B movie though.

loempiavreter (4 years ago) Reply

Based on a graphic novel by Min Woo Hyung? Ooooo really... doesn't really look like it at all!

bad dog (4 years ago) Reply

What's the problem? This looked great. I see another Daybreakers at hand.

It looks great so far...

uncleB (4 years ago) Reply

What gives? is there that much demand for crappy vampire flicks? Bettany needs to stay home and bang Jennifer Connelly (what I would do if I were him) instead of making yet another SH**TY movie (Legend). And did someone compare this to Daybreakers??!? Daybreakers was one of, if not the worst movies to be released this year. I understand the tween girls love vampires but I don't believe Priest is aimed at them so again I ask, what gives? Hasn't the quota of crappy vampire flicks been met for this year?

bad dog (4 years ago) Reply

@uncleB: Daybreakers was a solid movie and hardly the worst of 2010, as most critics and moviegoers agree, but what do we all know compared to your self-proclaimed genius? You would also vote for Sarah Palin for President, so you apparently know things the rest of us don't. Maybe there's no secret and you're just an idiot. But please, rant like a crazy person, get the names of movies wrong, and ask rhetorical questions repeatedly that nobody cares about.

Horror Fan (4 years ago) Reply

"I know Priest-Fu."

uncleB (4 years ago) Reply

bad dog your such a little bitch that you would like Daybreakers. If you don't like my post try skipping and go to the next one. I really must get under your skin if you have to track my every post. Why do you bring politics into this? And what makes you think I'm republican or hell American for that matter? you dont so shut your cock holster and quit watching gay ass movies like daybreakers. Grow a pair you pissy!

uncleB (4 years ago) Reply

"Daybreakers was a solid movie and hardly the worst of 2010, as most critics and moviegoers agree"
really bad dog? are you serious? you are misguided. The only idiot posting here is you bad dog or don48 who the hell your calling yourself today.
Republicans will win in 2010 and Obama will be unemployed in 2012. Thats not my opinion, thats the facts.

bad dog (4 years ago) Reply

@uncleB: Just wanted you to get a taste of what it's like to be stalked by a troll, you little right wing bitch. As for getting under your skin, I'm happy to ruin your day. My assumption that you're a Republican comes from the fact that 1) you're an ass, 2) you're ignorant, and 3) you hate Muslims. I think you should just get a male escort, like most closet gay Republicans, and get it over with. Then you wouldn't have to stalk total strangers on the Internet. The simple solution is to never respond to anything I post again. Then you won't get the treatment you give everybody else, treatment you obviously can't handle like a man.

P.S. I'm Anonymous, Don48, Agentorange, quietearth, bad dog, Horror Fan, cyclops76, Fox, VirtualSurf and pretty much everybody else on this site. We're coming to get you, Barbara!

uncleB (4 years ago) Reply

@bad dog
I seem to recall I made a random comment that wasn't directed to anyone and you made a point to start a crusade of your on to attack anyone that wasn't a mindless demfuc! Drag everyone in, I'm sure they appreciate you using there handles in your post. You are a loser my friend. As far as stalking goes you'll always be the best. Thats something you can be proud of after your socialist party loses in November. Poor demfucs, Barney frank, Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid are in your corner. With friends like that who needs enemies. Your such a fool and soon to be a loser. You know I dont even read your post anymore, they never change. Just stupid drivel from a dumbass that probably still lives in his moms basement.

Considering all the movies in development and coming out this Movie does Stand Out! There are not any movies that are some Sci Fi Dark Vampire style movies set in some post-apocalyptic world. His has a tight cast and if the scripting is as tight it will do well. I am guessing that they spent at least 30 million on it. I look forward to checking it out. I am a little amazed that is wasn't an Anime Style Movie instead of the Live action they created.

Enough with the silly Politics LOL! they all stem from the same Leader the Vatican.

bad dog (4 years ago) Reply

@uncleB: As a right winger, you are great at rewriting history. What happened was you made an ignorant political comment, I disagreed with you, and you spammed the site making lame insults about "me" (me being an electronic alias), making your insults even more lame and ineffectual. After a brief hiatus, you're back, doing the same thing--including fantasizing that I'm every persona posting on this site--and now I'm giving you the same treatment. Like a typical right winger, when you get the same treatment you force on others, you fall on the ground whining and crying like a little bitch and play the victim, a trick you of course learned from Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin, whom you endlessly parrot because you can't have a real thought of your own. As for not reading my posts anymore, thank God, that's exactly the effect I'm going for. The fact is you're a troll, and while it's entertaining to me to see you get your panties in a knot, I want nothing to do with you. You're a hopeless ass and a failure as a human being with no self awareness who spends his days in mock rage because a black man is in the White House, corporations aren't allowed to freely pollute our air and drinking water, we haven't bankrupted the country even further by invading Iran, old people still get Social Security, or the government might be helping poor people somewhere. In short, STFU and ignore my presence or prepare for a constant spam war. Your choice, troll.