Christopher Webster [Celluloid 10.11.10] movie trailer news scifi horror

Yeah it's crap quality and the person holding the camera appears to be having a seizure, but it's The Thing! Watch it quick, before it disappears!

Synopsis:
"Antarctica: an extraordinary continent of awesome beauty. It is also home to an isolated outpost where a discovery full of scientific possibility becomes a mission of survival when an alien is unearthed by a crew of international scientists. The shape-shifting creature, accidentally unleashed at this marooned colony, has the ability to turn itself into a perfect replica of any living being. It can look just like you or me, but inside, it remains inhuman. In the thriller THE THING, paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers as they’re infected, one by one, by a mystery from another planet. Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) has traveled to the desolate region for the expedition of her lifetime. Joining a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across an extraterrestrial ship buried in the ice, she discovers an organism that seems to have died in the crash eons ago. But it is about to wake up. When a simple experiment frees the alien from its frozen prison, Kate must join the crew’s pilot, Carter (Joel Edgerton), to keep it from killing them off one at a time. And in this vast, intense land, a parasite that can mimic anything it touches will pit human against human as it tries to survive and flourish."

The cast includes Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Jonathan Walker, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Dennis Storhøi, Trond Espen Seim, Jørgen Langhelle, Eric Christian Olsen, Stig Henrik Hoff, Jan Gunnar Røise, Kristofer Hivju, and Jo Adrian Haavind. It is scheduled to hit theaters on April 29, 2011.

Trailer after the break!

donc48 (8 years ago) Reply

Ok the end explains the shaky cam I couldn’t make heads or tails of what was happening. I got the drilling in the ice I got this is a prequel I didn’t get much beyond that, I got this woman was recruited. Anybody else?

S (8 years ago) Reply

I already hate that it starts out in the city.
They could have had the discussion on the helicopter and keep us on antarctic through the entire film, like the original did.
I couldn't tell though if it was eighties or not.. the cars that i did see were old ones and we didn't see much else.

Worst CAM recording I have ever seen!

Fred (8 years ago) Reply

Formulaic nonsense! In ten years this prequel will fester alongside all the others (even Alien prequel. Ridley Scott is tuned in to what the mainstream wants ('bums on seats'), not good storytelling or creative freedom. Just a genius at getting people back into the cinema for thrills). Self-indulgent masturbatory film-making which plays on the true spirit of the original Carpenter masterpiece like an inferior version of the Thing itself has infected the original and become this piece of dung.
Remove the stolen mojo from the original (music, setting, beasties...) and it's just another 'let's do something un-formulaic' which turns out to be just as formulaic and as empty as the frozen wasteland it's set in.

A sad attempt to remove cash from fans' pockets with soulless fimmakers more concerned about popularity and money than creative brilliance.

Yes, I'll pray I'm wrong, but suspect I'm right.

macstu (8 years ago) Reply

FRED you Rock right on brother telling it like it is.
Every remake of a john carpenter classic has been an abomination.

noiseman (8 years ago) Reply

I wish I could "write" down my thoughts like FRED does!!!

wilcoy (8 years ago) Reply

Hey guys if u don't like it don't see it.Simple...I for one am looking forward to this prequel and if its bust then so be it. I still love the premis of a shape shifting alien and its ability to assume its victims. Plus the Antartic and confined spaces of the science outpost raises the creepiness. Thanks quietearth for sharing the video despite the Blair witch project camera work.

Hank (8 years ago) Reply

I meant to write something but... yeah, what Fred said.

zenseeker (8 years ago) Reply

Left me feeling cold (no pun intended). I've always been of the mind that the original "The Thing" was a film that didn't need a prequel, or a sequel, of any kind.

Seems more like a remake in disguise, and a very bad disguise at that.

the call that stutter cam

Paul (8 years ago) Reply

You guys know that Carpenter's The Thing was a remake, right? It's not an original piece. Original 1951 film was called The Thing From Another World, and both films were based on a short story by John W Campbell Jr called "Who Goes There?", published in 1948.
So... the only real original is the short story; not the first film, and certainly not Carpenter's.
And how you can tell anything from this shaky-cam trailer, whether it'll be good, bad or 'formulaic nonsense', is beyond me.
I'll see the movie. Then I'll tell you what I think of the movie.

donc48 (8 years ago) Reply

I normally don’t post twice but the 1951 film is one of my faves. The dialog alone is worth watching the film, lets wait for a better trailer before we burn this puppy at stake.

nomad (8 years ago) Reply

its a carbon copy rip off of Carpenter's version...nothing has changed except the time frame and they added a female...pathetic...that this will make money anyway is an acknowledgment to the stupidity of the movie going public...

darke (8 years ago) Reply

Wasn't it a Norweigen scientest team that dug the thing up before the US team found it, in Carpenters version? Would be hilarous to see them all go "fy-dee-huu-dee-fyy" all the time :D

bill (8 years ago) Reply

Aren't the Norwegians supposed to talk Norwegian? I find it quite silly that they should be speaking perfect American. Love the background music though - classic stuff.

In response to those who are going to see it anyway - as long as the film companies have your money they really don't care about the creative process and your opinion, as long as it's AFTER you've paid to see it.
So go ahead, suckers.
And I know about the 'original' movie/story. I saw the B&W at the cinema when I wanted to see 'Forbidden Planet' but the stock wasn't available at the time so they showed 'TTFAW' instead. Lucky for me!
But hey, when I say 'the original' I meant Carpenter's. It was the first adult film I saw as a child as my dad knew there was no sex in it! Perhaps that explains why I love TT so much.
And if you're too busy creaming your pants over the new movie, just think why they decided to do a prequel NOW when so many others are appearing. The 'Lucas virus', or how to make millions from mediocre self-referential film-making, playing on audience's love of superb originality and the want to repeat the experience they first had when they were younger.
BTW Yes, I probably WILL go to the cinema to see it. I don't go very often and I'm still buzzing just from the idea of a prequel and how it will turn out.
Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury!

Hank (8 years ago) Reply

There are actually a bunch of Norwegian names in the cast. So hopefully there'll be some "fy-dee-huu-dee-fyy" :D
That's why I'm gonna see it and I'm a Swede... :)

MacReady: Hey, Sweden!
Dr. Copper: They're not Swedish, goddamn it, they're Norwegian.

J.J. (8 years ago) Reply

WOW Cinema Verite. Cloverfield meets The Thing! Rock On!!

Why so hard? It's a prequel based on the Norwegian team, that was only touched upon in the original film. Be thankful it's not yet another remake.