Marina Antunes [Celluloid 10.29.10] post apocalyptic movie trailer news horror drama

“A thumping, character driven piece set within a Zombie riddled world.” That’s how director Marco Garcia explained the film he’s currently developing. That caught my attention but it’s the concept teaser, which is more of a scene that sold me on Garcia’s The Ocean Black.

Set to the backdrop of a Zombie outbreak, the film follows Amber, Don and their son Aaron in the aftermath of an outbreak. Barricaded inside their home, they’re now out of food and must venture out to stay alive but, as per the scene Garcia has shot, the family is immediately torn apart. The film’s synopsis goes on to read ”A perverse sense of survival turns Don into a monster, and Amber must find the strength to be truly alone. I’m thinking this may have overtones of The Road (review): an intimate, character driven story of survival.

The concept is good as is, from the looks of this trailer which is actually more of a scene, the execution. I look forward to seeing more images and video from the production but for the time being, let’s share the great little tease that’s made its way online and cross our fingers that a feature eventually arrives.

Teaser after the break.

RazedinBlack (7 years ago) Reply

This looks like it may have potential, great scence.

rlfletch (7 years ago) Reply

I have to call you out on this one: It looks terrible. The lead is inexcusably stupid and unsympathetic. From keeping his gun holstered over his shoulder to getting on an Elevator, AN ELEVATOR, with his family to travel into unknown trouble. But where the writers completely lose it is in his disinterest in chasing after their son. Speaking as a parent that would not happen, no matter the danger. Please call crap out when its seen.

revenant (7 years ago) Reply

I agree this looks terrible. An elevator!!??? Yeah and noone would go looking for their son would they.

windycitycritic (7 years ago) Reply

Don't be retarded - this looks great! I don't agree with the first two comments at all. What a situation! If you chase your son... you leave your wife (to die)... and if you don't chase your son, you are forever a failure and the reason for his death (in the wifes eyes). It give me goosebumps. And someone please explain to me why the elevator is highlighted as an inappropriate element of the movie. Do you think you would really take the stairs in this case?!

The look of this teaser is the sh!t I'm sure with some addtional $$$ this would turn out to be a fantastic movie!! Go O.B.!

donc48 (7 years ago) Reply

Rifletch is right on target I’m getting lifeless flash backs on this one. You’re in a middle of Zombieville and you take the elevator? Granted some teens may be that absent minded, but a guy with a family?
The rifle on the shoulder leaped out at me also anybody that scared is going to have that bad boy out locked and cocked. Has anybody seen Life after People? If nobody is maintaining power (it’s unlikely Zombies would be) it’s would gone in a couple of days at the very most, this is starting to be a sore point with me. I saw a Web Series where most everybody was dead the power was on for TEN DAYS!!! (I stopped watching) This is what was called in creative writing “Not having respect for your Audience”
I know some people may take this as knit picking but most if not a large chunk of the PA and Zombie genre fans are going to pick this stuff up. Lets have a little respect for the audience.

Fat Legs (7 years ago) Reply

Taking the elevator is a pretty dumb move primarily because you’d have no idea what might be waiting when the doors open on the ground floor (as they found to their cost!) but it’s quite possible the power would still be running to the lifts.

Elevators in modern buildings are increasingly fitted to run on power from emergency generators specific for that purpose. Also they can have back up battery systems which will return the elevator car to the ground floor should the emergency power system fail. This kinda seems to fit with what happened in the scene. The elevator works, then shuts down as last of emergency juice fails, lights go out til battery kicks in and default setting deposits them down into the waiting arms of the hungry hungry undead.

Still, none of this explains why they took the elevator in the first place, perhaps the stairs were teaming with zombies but then why not scavenge food from neighbouring apartments? Why not take it slow and steady knocking through the floor and dropping down one cautious level at a time? The shoulder slung gun really did detracted from the tension also.

Anyway, I did like it and enjoyed what they seemed to be trying to do with characters/the vibe etc, had enough of a realistic edge to it to make me want to see more. Likely enough they’ll be some holes in it to pick apart but few and far between are the truly genuine post apocalyptic descriptions (I still hold Threads was a bit optimistic) but in some ways that’s part of the fun.

Ps - I’m not paranoid, I’m prepared!

bad dog (7 years ago) Reply

Gotta agree with the criticisms. There is NO WAY you leave your kid. NO WAY. NO. EFFING. WAY. And keeping the rifle on his shoulder the whole time, when they are supposed to be terrified, was kind of ridiculous. That said, the zombie action looked pretty good.

wa5 (7 years ago) Reply

Also on the elevator thing... when someone jams thier arm in a lift door, IT OPENS. unless it is fitted with some kind of Zombie recognition security device of course.. (Romero Sensor?)

uncleB (7 years ago) Reply

meh

shs59 (7 years ago) Reply

Holy crap! Do you know this is a zombie movie?!? "ZOMBIE MOVIE" ... let that sink in... suspend reality... who the hell evaluates elevator vs. stairs - just enjoy the ride. Why does he have to follow his son and leave his wife? The guy is in shock and obviously not thinking straight - regardless of what YOU think the "correct" action should be. When you find yourself in a post-apocalyptic world, give us a shout out... jeesh!

Obviously a talented filmmaker, I am up for seeing more from this guy.

Eric VT (7 years ago) Reply

Sure it has its flaws and even I said in my head while watching why the hell are you taking the elavator and why is that Rifle not out and ready but for a dam low budget Zombie flick thats the least of my worries.
That being said what I just watched looks promising and could be made into a decent zombie flick. If you love the genre like I do you sat threw enuff bad and down right horrible zombie flicks to overlook little things like taking the elavator instead of the stairs. Try watching say Binge & Purge 1 & 2, Deadlands, Meat Market, Automation Transfusion, Grave Mistake, and the 1000 of shitty Zombie films. When you see something promising like this you know right away even with its little flaws.

Eric VT (7 years ago) Reply

That being said one thing I questioned is I was a little possed the Zombie/infected draged the kid away. Come on now we all know a real Zombie or infected would of just took a BIG old bite out of the kid right there and started feeding. Tha whole dragin the kid away thing bothered me becasue Its setting up some dramatic rescue of the kid later on which if happens will just kill the whole movie for me.

I heally hope the movie is not horrible flesh eating zombies but when it comes to kids under the age of 12 they only kidnap them ?

bad dog (7 years ago) Reply

Not trying to be nitpicky and I'm happy to give a lot of slack but I like my suspension of disbelief to be unchallenged with the bluntness of a hammer to the head. It's just sloppy. You have a gun and zombies are attacking your family, uh, guy, try holding it in your hands and being ready when the door opens. You have a child snatched by a kidnapper zombie (possibly a first in the genre) and both the mother and father don't immediately go hunting for him. It's ridiculous and strains belief. Simple good storytelling could fix this. This is constructive criticism. The filmmakers should take note. Believe me, we want good movies, we want this project to succeed.

rlfletch (7 years ago) Reply

Its not being picky, its calling out LAZY writing when I see it. If your actors need to act stupid/unrealistic to advance your plot time to go back to writing school. Consider the drama that would have been created by him being torn between telling his family to run towards him or drop to the floor so he could get a shot. How about finding the stairs blocked and having to make the agonizing choice to take the elevator, knowing full well the danger. Lastly the utter panic of rushing to find your son while Zombies are seconds away from breaking in behind you certainly would have been better than: Oh well, back in the death box for us. None of this would have cost them a cent more to film.

Kegslayer (7 years ago) Reply

I think the whole scene is interpretive, representing the transition from sheltered and civilized to reverting to savagery for survival. The focus on the address of the apartment refers to us as being nothing more than numbers in society. Choosing to take the elevator indicates how we have come to rely on technology. Sure, the elevator door didn't re-open when the zombie reached through because we have machinery to think for us now. And what else runs from its home, to small, dark spaces? Prey. The rifle slung on his shoulder struck me at first too. Sadly, everyone thinks they are smarter than everyone else. The male lead has yet to begin his transformation into someone more feral. It went from slung, to being used as as club to finally being fired. I'm not even going to speculate on the son's abduction since we don't know what 'type' of zombies we are dealing with, other than being the fast variety. Also, if you noticed the dumpster in the room after the attack, I think being in the basement or at the bottom symbolizes that our actors, and society, have to work their way back up again in many ways, including the food chain.

Eric VT (7 years ago) Reply

rlfletch - Your post is 100% spot on and really made me rethink my thoughts on this trailor. None of what you just said which would of made that trailor believable and added more to the story and most impottant cost nothing at all. Really great points