Christopher Webster [Cathode Ray Mission 12.20.10] Tuvalu apocalyptic news scifi

Caprica may have failed to compel a big audience, but SyFy isn't done with their biggest franchise. Battlestar Galactica will be back in another spin off show dubbed "Blood and Chrome" which takes us into the first Cylon war. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it was the combination of character and combat that made BSG popular - not ruminations about the nature of self and religion - and so I predict this show will be pretty huge.

Some artwork has appeared courtesy of SyFy's flagship blog, Blastr, and it looks all kind of cool, if a little weird.. is that a snow worm?!!

Synopsis:
"Ensign William Adama, barely in his 20's and a recent Academy graduate, finds himself assigned to the newest battlestar in the Colonial fleet ... the Galactica. The talented but hot-headed risk-taker soon finds himself leading a dangerous top secret mission that, if successful, will turn the tide of the decade long war in favor of the desperate fleet."

Check out the concept art after the break.

Jandy (10 years ago) Reply

"It doesn't take a genius to figure out that it was the combination of character and combat that made BSG popular - not ruminations about the nature of self and religion."

Hmmmm...I enjoyed the combat parts of BSG all right, but it was the ruminations about self and religion (combined with character) that really captured me. I loved the direction they were going with Caprica (they just didn't commit to it enough), and I could hardly be less interested in Blood and Chrome. I guess I'm an anomaly. I'd love to see a show about the Cylon's discovery of identity - oh, wait, that was supposed to be Caprica. Damn it.

Hey Jandy. I also like the existential stuff in BSG, but it was the fact that it was peppered with space opera that made it work so well as a piece of entertainment.

Caprica tried something different, which is cool, but I'm not surprised it didn't catch on. Blood and Chrome on the other hand, seems like it may be a return to form.

i really liked bsg's dramatic dramatization of dramatizing dramatical drama in an extremely dramatic way.

John (10 years ago) Reply

"If it does not kill you it makes you stronger".
Caprica was such a fail, that they either spin this off, or go bust.
They also managed to ruin the entire BSG, with the crap last season was, no wonder they spin of this.

macstu (10 years ago) Reply

Caprica sucked it was a snore-fest this is what they should have done in the first place , waiting with baited breath.

zerostar (10 years ago) Reply

I loved BSG to the core, and I also grew to adore Caprica after moving cautiously through the first couple of episodes. Caprica was such a different approach to the franchise, I agree with agentorange in that I'm not surprised it didn't catch on. It was a very well created show, however, and to dismiss it's almost purely character driven art and pace as 'fail' it incorrect, IMO. It seems to me at the basis of the BSG canon IS religion and the duplicity of man and machine, which is how Caprica so adeptly told the origin story. I, for one, and very sad that Caprica has ended. That being said, I do look forward to more BSG universe Fu and I will be watching Blood and Chrome. Hopefully they won't take that away from us before it's had a chance to finish telling their story as well...

John (10 years ago) Reply

If Caprica cem before BSG, chances are it would be huge, especailly that it would make BSG even bigger sucess, this way it was fail, IMO.

Andrew (10 years ago) Reply

I wasn’t crazy about Caprica myself but I have high hopes for Blood and Chrome. I’m also excited because I recently upgraded to HD equipment in my home and this will be the first BSG series I get to watch from the very beginning in high def. I love how much better all the special effects look. As a DISH Network employee I can tell you that it’s a great time to upgrade too, the prices of HD TV’s keep coming down and DISH is offering HD free for life!