Christopher Webster [Celluloid 04.27.11] movie news short scifi video

Filmmaker Stuart Sinclair developed Airlocked with friend Roman Rappak on a budget has been around £800. Let's just say I'm impressed.

A tightly wound story about a man trapped in space for 16 years, this science fiction short features a strong visual look that's obviously inspired by moments of 2001.

What's more to say? Check out Airlocked after the break and enjoy!

Airlocked is still classified as a work in progress. See more of Sinclair's work on his website.

John (8 years ago) Reply

"Johnny got his gun ( 1971 )", was a clear inspiration for this movie.

Remove the spoiler about the ending, please people should watch it FIRST doh!

Josh (8 years ago) Reply

That was awesome!!! I could watch close ups of this guys face all day while he presses buttons on a screen and watches home movies. Amazing!!!!
What exactly were you imressed about?
Did I miss the reason for him being stranded?
I love how during the only good part at the end the whole screen goes black for 15 seconds. Amazing work.

dav45whats (8 years ago) Reply

just watched this, and josh I think you are a harsh. How could you say the best bit is when its black, ur an idiot.

Michael Allen (8 years ago) Reply

I liked it. The music created the atmosphere and the visuals did the rest. -Mike

... nobody noticed that the music is almost identical to Clint Mansell's soundtrack for Duncan Jones' 'Moon' ?!!

That's because it is the soundtrack to 'Moon'.

Will all new space films have piano music now?

M-O-O-N that spells mediocre. Great FX work for 800 bucks though.

So I take it Josh didn't like it? #Idontgetsarcasm

Anglebender (8 years ago) Reply

Nice film, too bad for the spoiler text on QE's page for this which makes it kinda pointless to watch...

Stuart sinclair (8 years ago) Reply

Hi guys, this was my first ever film and first ever go at cinema 4d. So I am the first to realise it could be better. It is hard making a video in your spare time with no budget. Hopefully my next will be better. And as for the music - it will be replaced, as it says it's work in progress. Pleased u watched it.

Fabrizio Bianchi (8 years ago) Reply

Dear Stuart, it cannot be better for some, it is already perfect for others. You chose visuals over narrative, a choice which I personally can't stand. But the Web is full of people that prefer the former to the latter and therefore there are good chance that your work would be appreciated. One only note about the visuals: the pixelated images look a lot like a Processing sketch. Good effort for limited budget.

Stuart Sinclair (8 years ago) Reply

Thanks for the reply, I did not really choose visuals over narrative. Just I am an animator so it was always going to be a visual film. But i was doing everything myself, and I am not as good with script writing. A project like this would def be better with more people working on it. it actually started as a test just for learning. So find it weird people like Josh take a lot of time to slate someones work. Wonder what he has done??

Stuart Sinclair (8 years ago) Reply

and I have never seen Johnny got his gun ( 1971 ) but will watch :)

idoru (8 years ago) Reply

"So find it weird people like Josh take a lot of time to slate someones work. Wonder what he has done??"

What?? No offence to you as I know how much work goes into a project of this scale but I really can't stand when artists call out commentors in any shape of form. "What he has done" as you put it is irrelivant and stating what you did essentially is a claim that you only take interest in the opinions of people who have done work similar or better then your own, in your case perhaps other film or animation. It's ignorant to think that only people of known accomplishment have opinions that matter, critics are critics they don't have to have a resume of films to be a critic they just have to watch alot of film, or whatever medium they are involved in. If you intend to go anywhere as a creative mind in film you're going to have to learn to accept the fact that not everyone is going to love your work, specially people who see it as a buisness. From the film you have here I see a lot of potential but nothing I would put money towards expecting a return, it was a stilted, boring, overdramatic piece with very little relivance.

My point is, in the minds of many there is greater knowledge and experience then most of us could ever understand, a persons track record of accomplishments has no baring what so ever on their foundation of understanding and the moment you neglect that realization is the moment you undercut yourself as a person of artistic or intellectual value. My advice, keep working the way you're working, you have great potential as a film maker but you need direction in terms of investing an audience in your work and understanding that they, the audience, are far more important then you make yourself out to understand. If you want to take your story telling to the next level then I strongly suggest you look into building a respectable library of novels, doesn't matter the genre but what does matter is that writing is the foundation of all story telling, film, animation, music, anything. To have a truely captivating story will ensure that your work lasts the ages. It always saddens me to see something of this magnitude and quality completely cast aside due to the lack of any significant message.

Good luck to you.

and respect to Josh for pointing out what I am sure many people were already thinking.

stuart sinclair (8 years ago) Reply

First up, I regret saying "wonder what he has done". I had got home from the pub and was not in the right frame of mind to be replying never mind sitting at my mac. Of course every opinion counts and and people are not always going to like everything I do. This is fine and I don't normally comment on these kind of things. To be honest I think the sarcastic tone and the fact that he said the best bit was when it was black for 15 seconds got to me a bit after a lot of work. But hay it's just an opinion and that really is cool with me.

This film started as a way for me to learn cinema 4D, and the storyline and script came second for that reason. I think the next film I make will be much more narrative driven. In terms of going somewhere in film, well I am happy to keep it as a hobby and continue the animation work I do for a living which I get paid a lot more for doing. All these projects I set myself in my spare time are to keep my creative juices flowing not to be the next Spielberg.

Thanks for your comment.

voltisPLUS (6 years ago) Reply

I agree with the idoru, after I read Stuart's comments and the "wonder what he has done" comment I've lost all interest in watching the film, so I didn't.

That is an incredibly childish response and the simple fact is, viewers have opinions and everyone has a right to express their opinion, no matter how negative. Furthermore you have to take every comment (positive OR negative) with a grain of salt as most people are not great at expressing their complete opinions honestly; but, you as an artist are looking for an audience, and alienating that audience is not the way to go about having your work recognized. I would have suspected that perhaps Josh is not your intended audience, but after snapping back at him I wonder if you had no idea who your intended audience was in the first place.

And just for the record, stating something like "wonder what he has done" is far more slanderous than anything a critic or viewer could say about your film; Josh was attacking the work, you attacked him personally and you have no idea what he does in life. Every human has done something in life that has effected other positively and you have no right to state otherwise without knowing the individual personally.

/end rant

My apologies as like idoru, this irks me as well. Good luck with your progress through the field though, obviously there is something here as some of the comments are very positive.