quietearth [Celluloid 06.07.11] post apocalyptic zombies movie news

Here is the first ten minutes of an indie zombie flick called Project Purgatory Beijing. It's Directed by some dude named Kantz (who also made another PA flick called Wasteland) and it's got martial arts and zombies... and loads of CGI blood.

What's more to say, except thanks Avery!

Dig on the first ten minutes after the break.

Ouch, the parade of cliche scripted stereotypes does not inspire confidence.Also IMHO cgi blood is NEVER a good thing...

DIAMOND DAWG (8 years ago) Reply

The action is insane! If that's the first ten, i I wanna see more!!

skullan (8 years ago) Reply

The action is too long in the first 10 minutes it suggests an overcompensation for lack of plot or dialog.

I can forgive the special effects for blood, since there may not have been a lot of money on the table to work with that.

The camera phasing during the watching was irritating and didn't add to anything. It was more distracting.

I love zombie flicks, so, I've probably seen worse than this, but the camera phasing makes it not interesting to me.

JLStewart1778 (8 years ago) Reply

Crappy effects + crappy acting = No thanks

The Helix of my Life (8 years ago) Reply

This is too awesome for words. Finally a martial arts/horror film that has ACTUAL MARTIAL ARTS. The closest thing we've had to something like this is the continually disappointing "Resident Evil" series and it's sad attempts at including so-called "martial arts". In ten minutes I see a fully explained world, an interesting motley crew of characters, AND INSANE ACTION all told in a stylish way. For what may be a low budget effort this is way ahead of most of the stupid repeated/reimagined/remake/rebooted crap Hollywood has been too busy throwing our way for the past few years. So if your one of those people who are waiting in line for the new Pirates of the Caribbean, whatever twilight movie is out now, or was not disappointed with the new Friday the 13th then this movie is not for you. However if you're like me and can't stomach the fact that they want to remake Total Recall, Enter the Dragon, or the Crow then you might be ready for something this badass.

What's with the constant distortion effects (color shift, ...) in every scene. I couldn't even watch a minute without almost getting a seizure.
Hey Filmmaker guy, that doesn't make your movie look cool, it just makes it look shitty.

ffendays and (8 years ago) Reply

Kudos for the effort and all, but yeah... that was painful to watch, in more ways than one. It was really hard to watch just that short of a clip with all the camera effects going on. Seemed more of a showcase for martial arts stunt work than a movie with any kind of coherent plot.

Ease up on the effects and you have a winner!

Fox (8 years ago) Reply

I have a request to make: Please, oh please, stop making those half-assed amateurish-looking zombie- / infected-movies. It´s enough. It´s boring. It´s alwasy the same, no matter how you shift this and that. Every week at least a new one is being shot and thrown into the stores marked as "unrated", "uncut" and whatever.
It seems to be the concept of the "undead" is the only thing young "filmmakers" (most of them are not capable of shooting piss in their toilet, why should they fare better when they are shooting something resembling a movie?!) are able to grasp...hopefully this wave of idiotic movies will come to an end soon...

Shocbomb (8 years ago) Reply

Fox I am on the same page as you. As a die hard Zombie Fan I to am just sick of these half ass Zombie flicks that just keep coming out. Whats a dam shame it looks like they had the Film makers actually had the resources & financial support to actually make a half way decent zombie film if they wanted to.

F_U_Kantz (8 years ago) Reply

I have had the displeasure of actually working with this director and the guy is a straight up prick! No talent at all. But did I even need to say that? Your "direction" on this masterpiece speaks for itself. Notice that he never has the same actors or crew working on any of his films because they all quit halfway through once his big fat ass starts throwing verbal threats around like anyone gives a damn about the $100/day he pays. A little piece of advice: Actors need DIRECTION. Not "Yeah. Now lets go to the next shot." The real directors who make movies that actually get distribution know this little trick I'm about to tell you, Kantz... When the acting sucks, you ask for A SECOND TAKE..... Just the fact that you put this garbage up shows what a delusional as shole you are... You have no talent and an ego larger than your fat as s. And yeah, we get it, you have After FX. Why don't you get a pair of glasses so you can see what a piece of sh*t looks like. It's in the mirror, biach! PS I know for a fact that the only positive comments on here are from your composer, homie