Christopher Webster [Celluloid 08.04.11] Tuvalu movie news scifi

Writer/director Rick McLeod blurs the line between fan-film and original material by teaming up with an unnamed group of American producers to make a million dollar science fiction film based on cult television series Firefly.

The film is called "Lost Transmission" and while it doesn't feature Mal, Jane or any of our other favourite characters from Joss Wheddon's failed show, it does take place in the same universe.

Synopsis:
Lost Transmission follows the lonely adventure of Blake, captain of a mining ship, with no-one but his computer to talk to after war breaks out on Earth. But he leaves the planet to find life on other worlds.

Based on that poster, I'd suggest they hire a more expensive promotional designer.

Filming is expected to start in early 2012, and will be split between Cumbria and America.

CGI effects are already being worked on and the production is looking for extras to play space pirates.

Via: Link. Special thanks to the Avery Mining Corp!

i cant tell- does the woman in that poster also have a beer gut?

arnold (9 years ago) Reply

Wow! I just hope they do a good job in both acting and CG. Otherwise it would be just another fan film in the likes of those cheaply made and acted star wars fan films. Either the poster is too small to see or those actors have really really nice clean and bright white shirts. And they're supposed to be miners. Hmmmm...

LB (9 years ago) Reply

I hope this has the same feel as the Firefly series, those are big boots to fill and I already feel a letdown coming!

Firstly, and just so you guys know what's going on, the film is being done by a professional production company that have had some great success recently with a vampire film called Dark Solitude that was at Cannes this year.

The prototype poster is nowhere near what would be coming, since the actors in the poster only represent part of a colony defence

The film is inspired by, not based on, but we here what you're saying, it's a very big task ahead, but will be worth it in the end, but we would welcome feedback direct from fans of firefly/Serenity, heck, as the films director, I'm a fan too, so don't want to let you guys down either which is why I have been getting an awesome FX team together.

From a radio interview I heard the writer do, he said Firefly is just one of many inspirations for the movie. And is neither a Fan Film nor based on Firefly.

Rick Mcleod (9 years ago) Reply

True, very true, it's all at conceptual stages right now, as everyone well knows, even pre-production can last for quite a few months before any primary filming commences, but the whole story and characters are inspired by the likes of Firefly, so am pointing out that the film is not 'based on', we have to stipulate this for obvious reasons.

Updates will start flowing regularly on the main sites pretty soon, but another pointer is that most of the filming will be done in the US, not Cumbria, again for many obvious reasons.

Any new and creative Sci Fi is a blessing in this market! yea!
I wish you guys success on your film.

Michael Allen (9 years ago) Reply

I am getting more and more into sci-fi, because of "Falling Skies." Firefly was a hit in my books; so, I look forward to what this film has to offer.

Rick Mcleod (9 years ago) Reply

I was a bit dubious when I watched the first episode of Falling Skies, but now well and truly hooked, it's great and refreshing, kind of like Walking Dead and I can't wait for the 2nd season to start for that.

AndreaD (9 years ago) Reply

How can it be in the same 'Verse as Firefly? The synopsis mentions Earth, which is a long way from where Serenity flew in the black.

Shayde (8 years ago) Reply

It can be a prequel of sorts. We never knew how the Earth was "used up" or what happened during.

Pontiac GTFO (7 years ago) Reply

Amazing... now we're calling crappy fan films "spin-offs".

If that's the case, then we actually have 30 Star Wars films and Spock and Kirk are gay lovers.

Bleh