Marina Antunes [Celluloid 08.12.13] scifi horror

Pin It Share on Google+

One of the movies that showed great promise that it never quite managed to deliver on was Paul W.S. Anderson's Event Horizon. The space horror starred Laurence Fishburne, Sam Neill and Kathleen Quinlan as members of a rescue vessel, the Lewis and Clark, sent to check on a distress signal sent from the Event Horizon, a starship that disappeared during its maiden voyage and which made use of some new, experimental technology.

The movie didn't deliver on the horror suggested by the marketing material and the story but there were hints that on some editing floor somewhere in Hollywood, there was a cut of the movie that was fantastically dark and gruesome. By some miracle of the internet, we now have a glimpse of what was left behind in that edit bay and from these images, it looks like some disturbingly awesome material.

It's not clear who has made these images available and though unlikely, I'm hopeful they have been released by some executive somewhere gauging interest on a director's cut of Event Horizon and frankly, I'd be quite happy to see one. I say unlikely since a 2006 DVD release of the movie included some of the grainy cut footage as bonus material and in the director's commentary Anderson made note that the studio had scrapped the unused footage. Anderson has since discovered a VHS tape with the original cut of the movie which, with some work, could be made to function for the director's cut, much like the extended cut of Aliens 3. Would anyone else be interested in this?

Either way, the pile of images from the deleted material are spectacular, showing a much gorier version of the Event Horizon that could have been.

Via Dread Central

Matt (1 year ago) Reply

Wow looks like it could have been better. Let's hope for a director's cut or something.

agentorange (1 year ago) Reply

I seem to recall seeing some of these shots, albeit only very briefly, in the version on DVD. I'll bet what's different is how much you see the f-ed up stuff happening.

I've always had a soft spot for EH. I saw it in the threatre when it came out and it scared the crap out of me at the time. I find I revisit it every few years.

Digger (1 year ago) Reply

All of these shots came from Fangoria, and are in the DVD release, albeit briefly. The film is fine as it is.

Michael Allen (1 year ago) Reply

This film is still in my top ten in horror.

Are you serious about this: "The movie didn't deliver on the horror suggested by the marketing material?" I think the film delivers a lot of horror both visually and psychologically.

Koolz (1 year ago) Reply

I loved the story I thought it was a great idea. Could have been more but maybe we will get a directors cut. And maybe not the horror scenes happen so fast you have to pause to see them there flashes in the film.

donc48 (1 year ago) Reply

I have to agree with the posters EH is fine as it is. It's great as a horror story I wish we had more like it. There isn't enough good Science Fiction horror out there it's an untapped genre I wish more film makers would explore.

agentorange (1 year ago) Reply

What did you think of Pandorum? Similar, but also great space horror.

donc48 (1 year ago) Reply

I confess I haven't seen Pandorum. I got the impression from the trailers it was one of those is something happening or are they going crazy movies, like Stranded that came out not to long ago. I'm afraid I like my movies plotted in a linier fashion with a defined problem. I don't like a lot ambiguity in my movies, or it has to done a certain way. There wasn't a lot of ambiguity in EH it was obvious something happened to the EH, you just didn't know what a mystery.

agentorange (1 year ago) Reply

Nah, it's not like that. It's a straight up monster movie. Check it out.

donc48 (1 year ago) Reply

Thanks for the heads up I'll check it out.

Man of Sin (1 year ago) Reply

I found Pandorum to be the more cerebral film.

Stu (1 year ago) Reply

Enjoy EH very much...but would absolutely LOVE an unedited Dir. version!!!

ps - Pandorum rocked! The german girl kicked @ss!!! Sadly under-appreciated imo

Yah (1 year ago) Reply

This is where they originated.

wtf (1 year ago) Reply

the movie is perfect as it is. some of the pics can be seen when you walk through the horror scenes frame by frame. no matter what, i would love to see a prequel.

Missphitts (1 year ago) Reply

Agreed, EH rocks. I've stopped the film and seen alot of this stuff. It's like they where too chicken to let it linger on the screen for very long. I wanted more from Pandorum, but I still enjoyed it. I'm hoping all of you who like EH have played all three Dead Space video games? If you haven't you definitly should. Great story, awesome controls and gore. Very similar to EH in tone and story (the first one at least)

j.j. (1 year ago) Reply

Enjoyed EH much more than Pandorum. Pandorum was good for about 8 seconds at the very end. Other than that it had no atmosphere. EH had loads.

U.G. (1 year ago) Reply

Event Horizon is one of the best haunted house movies out there. It's fine as is and a lot of these images are in the existing movie.

jjay (1 year ago) Reply

EH was a good film,probably Andersons best work. The original gore was cut back abit as cast where actually feeling ill from the horrificness of it. Great to see these shots in good quality. Even tho we did see some of them quickly in the film.

guido_jenkins (1 year ago) Reply

wow... looking a bit "Hellraiser-ish" in many of those ... remember seeing many of those shots in the film but not all...would love to see a directors cut...

guido_jenkins (1 year ago) Reply

john (1 year ago) Reply

yawn. seriously, yawn. Ya, it held much promise. In the sci fi dept. The horror. Oh dear, gateway to hell, rough sex with blood and torture. Oh dear how boring.

Blade Runner (4 months ago) Reply

Who ever said the shot are from Fangoria is correct. These are lifted right from the stock FPO's areas used in the mag. Good catch.