John Connor [Celluloid 07.14.16] post apocalyptic book horror fantasy western

EW have revealed the first images from director and co-writer Nikolaj Arcel’s adaptation of Stephen King's epic series of books The Dark Tower. The film stars Idris Elba as Roland and Matthew McConaughey as the Man in Black.

In very broad strokes, "The Dark Tower" was Stephen King's answer to epic fantasy. Inspired by Tolkien, King wanted to write his own fantasy series but was compelled to not go the route that so many fantasy authors go and set it in a faux medieval setting. Instead, he chose to use the mythical American myth of the old west. Of course, those who are familiar with the books know that the story takes the reader to all kinds of worlds and times.

Synopsis:
Gunslinger Roland Deschain roams an Old West-like landscape in search of the dark tower, in the hopes that reaching it will preserve his dying world.

Directed by Nikolaj Arcel and produced by Akiva Goldman, Ron Howard, Brian Grazer, and Erica Hughes, The Dark Tower will be released on February 17th, 2017.

Recommended Release: The Dark Tower

Lotus Eater (1 year ago) Reply

uncleB (1 year ago) Reply

@Lotus Eater-Nice

Where are Eddie Dean and Susannah? And No Blaine? Fuck this madness! And why was Susannah always calling Roland Honkie? Hell, I didnt realize Roland was a black fella...

ryan_ashtales (1 year ago) Reply

So psyched for this! McConaughey is a great fit for Flagg (especially after seeing him in True Detective), and I reckon Elba will nail Roland's brooding, determined demeanour.

Do we have any word on how this film fits into the timeline of the whole series?

Christopher (1 year ago) Reply

That's a BIG question. I've only read the first and second books and I know the series is sprawling and connects to other King books. I can't imagine it works as intricately. Needs to stand alone and set stuff up. Big job.

Fingers crossed it's interesting!

Genius (1 year ago) Reply

I like the Casting so far! I think with Ron Howard involved it will be great film! I only read to book four. I believe that was Wizard and Glass.
Not sure if this film is drawing of the three or what. But great they are going to play around with the Mythology.
For UncleB

Lotus Eater (1 year ago) Reply

Crawls up out of the surf, looks at Elba.

“Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?”