Christopher Webster [Celluloid 05.09.08] movie news scifi cult

In my experience, it's rare to come across a film that's quite as adventurous, obtuse, and yet highly accessible as Donnie Darko. It was the sleeper hit of 2001, became a massive cult favorite on DVD, and successfully launched the career of one of America's most confounding writer/directors since David Lynch. The film has its detractors of course, as any film that reaches critical mass eventually does, but it seems to me that there is very little to dislike about such a strong first effort. Which leads us to "S. Darko," a sequel that is, according to Screen Daily, a definite go with Chris Fisher attached to direct. That's right folks, Richard Kelly is not involved in the project in any capacity! Sounds like we're in for a bad straight to DVD retread a la "American Psycho 2" or "Starship Troopers 2." Of course we can all still cross our fingers and hope that "S. Darko" will only add to the great questions Kelly's film raised. If it makes an attempt to answer them, then I think the original will suffer. Question: Donnie Darko, or Donnie Darko: The Director's Cut? And why? Synopsis of "S. Darko" after the jump

Synopsis: "S. Darko will pick up seven years after the death of Donnie, with youngest Darko Samantha, now 18, and her best friend Corey being plagued by bizarre visions while on a roadtrip to Los Angeles." --- From Empire

quietearth (12 years ago) Reply

God help us.

Strontium Dog (12 years ago) Reply

I actually have the Bunny's autograph on a The Black Waters of Echo Pond poster. how strange is that make me?

I think that might actually make you exceptionally cool.

Dave Kellum (12 years ago) Reply

LOL let's make a sequel to Forbidden Planet LOL What a waste of cash...

projectcyclops (12 years ago) Reply

Oh my God... What did we do to deserve this? Did Kelly let this happen to sort of flagellate himself after giving us the woeful 'Southland Tales'? I don't understand, if ever there was a film that didn't need a sequel it's Donnie Darko... his little sister? What are they thinking?

It may however turn out to be good, so I'm ending the rant there.

quietearth (12 years ago) Reply

The poster dropped and the tagline is "What would you do if you knew the future?"

If the future involved this damn thoughtless sequel, then I'd probably kill myself.

*Common sense as he appears Mr. Fisher's head*

Sense: Wait this is a joke right?

Fisher: Whatever old man it's all good, I got the younger sister angle and cool looking badger costume

Sense: I would end you myself, but this injustice requires a slow bleed that can only be had after a terrible world premiere