Christopher Webster [Celluloid 08.07.08] post apocalyptic movie apocalyptic news

Well, after reading Scott Bowles report in USA Today about the bleak terrain of Hillcoat's The Road, I think it's safe to predict that this film version of Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer Prize winning book could very well set a new precedent for the kind of bleak PA that hasn't been seen since the BBC unleashed Threads back 1984. We've already learned that the role of the mother has been vastly increased, no doubt to support the star power of Charlize Theron, but other than that I'd say the images after the break are fairly accurate in terms of how I imagined this dead world while I was reading the book. The first one certainly gave me shivers. One thing's for sure, audiences that haven't read the book will be in for one hell of a shock when they walk into this film on November 26th. While I applaud the Weinsteins for taking a chance and releasing a film that is so dire, I must say I'm not convinced that it will be well received by audiences used to getting a bit more action with their PA. Curious to hear what you PA fans think on this one.

Hiddnfox (11 years ago) Reply

Can't wait for this movie! I loved the book and these screenshots are wonderful. Yay for bleak science fiction!

wolfeyes (11 years ago) Reply

I'm more excited about this movie than any other PA coming soon. Think I should read the book first?

To be honest, if you haven't already read the book I would recommend seeing the film green.It sounds crazy I know but, as is the danger with most adaptations, your viewing experience runs the risk of be hampered by the film not being exactly like you imagined it while reading.

Plus, if you read the book after, you get to relive the story with the added nuances.

hpman (11 years ago) Reply

These pictures look great! Just finished the book and cannot wait for this movie!

barnesm (11 years ago) Reply

I am impressed just how much the pictures matched my imagination on reading the novel.

Its gonna be one bleak film, but then the end of everything ever has to be doesn't it?

wolfeyes (11 years ago) Reply

I agree, agentorange. Reading beforehand, familiarity makes watching the movie a challenge not to pass judgments.

Moving from film to book is easier. The differences noticed are more with a sense of almost archaeological discovery. The nuances are unearthed like revelations rather than adaptations.

soma (11 years ago) Reply

That's Omar from the Wire holding the knife... Hot casting.

awesome book.. towards the end i couldn't stop from crying. definetly makes you think about what is really important in life... love. this movie i believe will dig into the deepest dimensions of the soul and transform the way we think.. i hope that the book as well as the movie accomplish this... we live in very difficult times and we need conscious awakening and bring more humanity and simpleness back into our lives.

Shelby (10 years ago) Reply

looks like they could've cast Kris Kristofferson as the man!

Looks incredible.

Jonboy (10 years ago) Reply

The look of the scenes is pretty good, the trees look too healthy but that is to be expected. The My main reservation is that I always saw the boy a being younger, perhaps nine or ten, not sure about the casting there. Viggo is perfect though, and even Charlize theron is better than I expected.

On the subject of book or film first, I say read the book. I have read a lot of books and the road is a good candidate for the best book i have ever read. Even if the film is excellent i doubt it will be the best i ever saw.