quietearth [Celluloid 08.20.08] movie news action fantasy

We reported on this way back in February and immediately fell in love as it promises an alternate reality with a spaghetti western samurai gangster mashup! Checking up on it last night I found IMDB had it listed in post-production with a slated release of 2009. Guy Moshe did the fantastic film Holly and this is sort of his breakout which casts the A-list Hollywood folks, so let's hope he uses them well. Filming was done on location in Romania. From a production company website: "A mysterious drifter (Josh Hartnett) and an ardent young Japanese warrior Yoshi (Gackt) both arrive in a town that is terrorized by outrageous and virulent criminals. Each is obsessed with his separate mission, and guided by the wisdom of The Bartender (Woody Harrelson) at the Horseless Horseman Saloon, the two eventually join forces to bring down the corrupt and contemptuous reign of Nicola (Ron Perlman), the awesomely evil "woodcutter" and his lady Alexandra (Demi Moore), a femme fatale with a secret past. This classic tale is re-vitalized and re-imagined in an entirely fresh visual context, set in a unique world that mixes skewed reality with shadow-play fantasy, a place where even the landscape can betray you. Heroes triumph here only because the force of their will transforms and transcends both space and time. The world of BUNRAKU is past and present, fantasy and reality, Samurai and Western all combined. Like "Sin City" and "300", it gives classic conflict a whole new graphically supercharged dynamic. Resonating through a wide range of cultures and showcasing a mind-blowing array of martial arts disciplines, BUNRAKU is a fresh arena for breath-taking fight action."

Sin26 (9 years ago) Reply

Woohoo! i can't wait to see gackto-sama!!

Shantelle (9 years ago) Reply

Gackt-san making his American film debut! I can't wait!!

rachel (9 years ago) Reply

lol. gackt is a "young japanese warrior"? He's like 40 years old. I'm really looking forward to this movie.

Reila (9 years ago) Reply

Im sooo excited... thats true about gackt pushig 40 but he looks really good. I hope people dont start getting all into him cause they think he's all popular in the americas. I hope they fully appreciate his music and his talents rather than his popularity.

Delpus (9 years ago) Reply

hey! 40!? isn't he 35?

Gackt is 35 get your facts right LOL

lazuli (9 years ago) Reply

Can't wait for it to be out!!
I hope we could see it in Japan too!!

zach (9 years ago) Reply

yeah he is 35. All Gackt fans think about this. he is having his American film debut and as a major part. as you all know he is quite the person for control so you know 1 or 2 of his songs will be in the movie. therefore this will help his music career here as well and if it works. he will deff tour in America as well as perform on shows like the late night show and all. YAY!!!

Gackto! Gackto! *chants to self* This is so cool!

Ugh Jesus. Gackt is a talented guy but please don't refer to him as GACKTO-SAMA it's embarassing. Also I've not heard any comment on Ron Perlman or anybody else who's going to be in this film. Western publicity will probably ruin his career just like Jackie Chan and Jet Li. Nobody appreciates their western films and I know I won't appreciate Tony Jaa's upcoming American flick.

I'd appreciate some proper feedback on the film and not just your fanboy/girl excitement over Gackt.

Gakuto is sooo awesome

L. Marie (9 years ago) Reply

I believe it is awesome (for lack of a better word) that Gakuto-sama is going to be featured in this movie. It is about time they expose him to the western world, I just hope it is done right. I still want him to be appreciated for his musical genius, but he was pretty good in Moon Child, and with the roles he has played over the years throughout his own exploration in music and image, I believe he has a lot of potential as an actor.

I do not see why the previous poster believes that Jackie Chan and Jet Li have had their careers ruined since being exposed to western culture. Perhaps they could try and support that theory, because it sounds very bogus to me.

Hopefully this movie will inspire many more to become fans of Gackt, and will encourage him to perform in Canada (he's already been to the US with S.K.I.N)

Rani (9 years ago) Reply

I can't wait for this! It'll be great seeing Gackt on the big screen over here at last, and it's good to see Josh Hartnett in another film too. Plus the synopsis just makes the film itself sound amazing... I think with this and all the other films coming out, I'll be practically living in the local cinema come 2009!

Please stop refering to Gackt as Gackt-sama, san or any other stupid pet name. It's rather embarassing. You don't call someone like Brad Pitt Mr.Pitt. That's slightly retarted. I hope this helps with his career, but I don't want a bunch of people to like this movie just because Gackt is in it. At least I'll appreciate the plot and other characters as well.

Michel Narn (9 years ago) Reply

In all honesty, it's just custom in Japan to refer to someone using an honorific. I agree Gackt-sama is a bit over the top (Heck, the Japanese don't use it for him either) but I don't see the problem with petnames. Let them do as they please.

Anyway, looking forward to this movie. Also a fan of Gackt, but the movie in itself was what attracted me at first. Imagine my surprise as I find out he's in it.

lena (9 years ago) Reply

omg I will live in the theaters for a chance to acutally see gackt on the big screen
I still can't believe it I've got to make a tshirt just for this

can't wait for the new single in dec

also where's the poster? I've been dying to see it

Anji (9 years ago) Reply

It's about time Gackt made his US debut! And what better way to get him started with Josh Hartnett? w00t!

krizzie (9 years ago) Reply

8D YAY GACKT-SAMA!!!! n_n I can't wait to see him on the big screen in America~~~

I'm just waiting for the trailor. I can't wait to get more information on this! And of course I'm excited to see what Gackt's character will be like.

B (9 years ago) Reply

AHHHH GACKT I LOVE U!!! omggg we are all going on about gackt instead of josh hehehe... :P

Shawna (9 years ago) Reply

Uh... Gackt's 37 years old guys.. Close but no cigar, nyuck. In any case, I'm kind of weirded out at the fact Gackt is starring beside Josh Hartnet.. But I'll watch it anyway since Gackt has the acting skills and the "Bunraku" plot is a bad ass one indeed.

cheyanne (9 years ago) Reply

Gackt is 35,trust me. Where all talking about Gackt instead of Josh and that I think is funny. Yes I am one Gackts fans, he is my hero/romodel. kk trust me........

Lady-Ari (9 years ago) Reply

yeah.. I'm going fangirl on this one ^-^
while some of the other players (NOT Hartnet) are going to be good I'm sure, honestly this time I'm in it strictly for Gackt.

veromadrig (9 years ago) Reply

Can't wait...when does this movie hits theathers anyway? Someone knows??? GAckt 35 or 37 he is just how he is supposed to be.. RICO! :P

Hakaru (9 years ago) Reply

I can't wait for the trailer and then the movie itself. Gackt-san is having his US movie debut. L

Sydney (8 years ago) Reply

Actually, Gackt's age isn't public knowledge, although many speculate that he is around 35. He is, for sure, younger than HYDE.

Just a random thing about the Gackt-sama thing. Um yeah people do use that in Japan. I was at his concert in tokyo last night and the audience did indeed scream Gakuto-Sama several times. So I think people should be able to use this term if they want to. Who is it hurting?

Fuwah~ I can't wait for Bunraku~! I honestly couldn't care less about any of the actors except for Gackt. <33 I'm just afraid that I'll get kicked out of the movie theaters for fangirl screaming... ^^;

Mandy (8 years ago) Reply

Does anyone know approx. WHEN it will be released? Spring? Summer? Fall? End of the year? I've been (sort of) following this since it was all rumors, and I'm dying to know!

ling (8 years ago) Reply

omg! I was wondering about the same thing! When exactly is the release date? And is there any chance that this film can be shown during the film festivals?

Yay!~ Go Gackt! Spread your awesomeness to the rest of the world!

lawls (8 years ago) Reply

ROFL all the comments are all on gackt~!

Most of the ppl who are gunna watch this movie are gackt fans LOL I'm a gackt fan myself <3

I LOVE YOU GACKT luuul

It will hit the screen, maybe, sometime around August/September. I was hoping sommer myself.

first off, his name is Gackt. if you are not Japanese you should refer to him as such, otherwise you just sound uneducated.
and second, I'm excited for this movie too, because i really think Gackt possesses many other talents besides being beautiful, so those of you who just like him for his looks, please dont even both commenting here, its really annoying.
and he's 35.

Mari (8 years ago) Reply

"Yay!~ Go Gackt! Spread your awesomeness to the rest of the world!" nicely sad Ling=)))))
we all wait for the movie to hit the screen!!
that is sooo cool to see Gackt again in the movie)))

I am a fan of Gackt, so I'd have to say the reason I'm going to see this movie is SOOO biased. I want to hear Gackt speak in English as much as the next fangirl. I just hope this is actually a movie worth seeing. If not, I can't say I'd buy it JUST because of Gackt. (But it still sounds good anyways! ^_^ )

Nicole (8 years ago) Reply

LoL. We got Gackt (drool). We got Hartnet. We even managed to zing HYDE (drools even more) in there. But, this film is celebrity studded... Ron Perlman, Demi Moore, Woody Harrelson... not a poor actor in the bunch. I admit I wouldn't have heard of it til the trailer was released if I hadn't been such a fan of Gackt and HYDE. I really can't wait to see it. It should be interesting.

Sama-chan (8 years ago) Reply

I wish there were a larger size poster. Is that Josh and Gackt on the front? I would assume so... I can see Josh's face, so that's a yes. But I can't see the other figure's face. (Although I'm guessing there aren't many other Japanese males in the film....)

Gackt is super awesome. I heard he did most of the stunts himself. Did he have a stunt double at all, I wonder? He said in an interview that he kind of passed out for a second when he was fighting with Josh, and Josh was standing over him yelling his name and slapped him in the face once, or something? Maybe I'm mixing the story up, but it sounded funny.

DF (8 years ago) Reply

It is hard to tell who is on the front of the poster, as well as any names! Maybe there's a bigger one floating around? I see nothing wrong with calling Gackt 'Gackt-san' because it is a sign of respect. Though, 'Gackt-sama' or 'Gakuto-sama' is just a bit over the top; but hey, if that makes people happy so what. It really isn't that big of a deal. One thing, I hope is for sure, we can all agree on that we are happy to see Gackt in more places than just Japan.

This film looks interesting. Besides Gackt being in it, and yes, I think he's a gorgeous man, I'm looking forward to seeing Ron Perlman. He's an excellent actor. I wonder if Gackt had a 'fanboy' moment, when seeing some of the actors he would be performing with. xD

philile (8 years ago) Reply

well, i love gackt but it would really suck if the movie came out being a big dissappointment. people shouold see the movie for the movie and not for gackt. but still keep an eye out for him.
when you look at the roles that jackie chan plays in asia and the american roles he has, well two completely different things. they don't take his acting as seriously in america. it would be horrid if they type cast gackt in america too instead of seeing him as a really talented artist. i do look forward to seeing the movie. it sounds really awesome and yes, gackt being in it makes it even more awesome. hope we get it here in south africa.

WOOOT~ We are All rooting for you gackt!! XDD WE NORTH AMERICAIN fans DO exist!! AKnowledge us!!!! We are HERE!! waiting for you to conquer the worldd!!! *crazy*

Hana (8 years ago) Reply

Gackt is believed to be 38. I can't wait to see him in this film <3

I LOL at most of these comments! They are all basicly about Gackt! But like praticily everyone here I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE GACKT IN A MOVIE AND HEAR HIM SPEAK ENGLISH! ^_^ But i hope this movie turns out good though! I'll probably get weird stares when i have my fangirl moment when he says his first word and when he appears on the big screen!
Good luck Gackt!!! <3

O.K. i must say that everyone should stop guessing Gackt's age and saying how wonderful he is. I am a fan, but please critique the movie. This is going to be a western movie with an anime theme. Hopefully this movie will not be a let down. Because almost all of you are watching is because Gackt is in the movie not because the movie itself.

Riku (8 years ago) Reply

Gackt! Lol. I can't wait for this movie! I just really hope it's not a disappointment. We shouldn't expect a release date until July, since that's how far the release dates go. I don't see any release dates for any movie past July, so let's expect it in August or September. *sigh* On the other hand, I'm curious to see this pairing of actors into this kind of movie. It should be great! And for the person who mentioned the whole "passing out during a scene" event, it's true. Apparently Gackt fell wrong during a fighting scene and passed out for about a minute or so and Josh was holding Gackt in his arms screaming. Pretty scary moment, but at least he's okay. XD

Arisu (8 years ago) Reply

GACKT!!!!!!!!!!! HOLY CRAP I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THIS!!!!
And BTW, Gackt it NOT 40...he's like, 462 now isn't he?

haruko (8 years ago) Reply

I've now heard that the release got pushed back to 2010-does anyone know any more about this? This is all getting sooooo drawn out. I just want a trailer or some production photos or something so I can figure out what's going on with this shindig :/

JJ (8 years ago) Reply

LOL ARISU YOU WIN. Gackt is like 462.

I'm SO EXCITED.

ceilynne (8 years ago) Reply

OMG. I just found out about this and can't wait. Moonchild is my favorite movie, and one of my two favorite Jrockers!! (Miyavi being the other!)

when is this coming out already? its almost christmas!!!

The Fat Midget (8 years ago) Reply

This movie is said to be coming out in 2010, well according to Gackt anyways. But I have to laugh at all the comments. It seems like everyone wants to see this movie because Gackt is in it. But all in all I can't wait to see this movie for the same reason HAHA! I hope it's good, because I can see Guy Moshi being attacked by angry fan girls.
And just for the record Gackt IS 36, he'll be 37 next year and jesus, people can call him whatever they want stop having a cow about it.

gKmZ (7 years ago) Reply

wow, ppl, r u watching this coz Gackt is in it or cos of the storyline?
me? well... i'm for Gackt-sama of course! <3

Bunraku has been screened last week to test audiences at the block of Orange (AMC Theatres), California. The Bunraku's test screenings were organised by a company called The Screening Exchange. People who attended those previews of Bunraku had to sign a non disclosure agreement so they can't talk about the film publicly.

Here some tweets about those test screenings :
"we went to a marketing screening for Bunraku. It's a sin cityish martial arts movie. Josh Hartnett is in it. Yum lol"
"Saw test screening of Bunraku with @ac1985 last night. Very impressive."
"BUNRAKU SCREENING WHUT. -dies-"
"momentary brain rewind- BUNRAKU SCREENING, OYES. DYINGNOWSOICANTMAKESPACES."
"Bunraku was good! If you like Josh Hartnett I think you will really like the movie, he is pretty badass in it"

Domino (7 years ago) Reply

Another feedback about the Bunraku test screenings : "I saw an&iuml;&raquo;&iquest; advanced screening of this in orange county. Kill Bill+sin city+dick tracy. fucking amazing"

right before the movie starts i'm just gonna ask out loud "who's watching this because of Gackt?" and i'm expecting to hear alot of very loud fan girl screams. ( of course to me Gackt isn't the MOST important to me about this movie, it's the fact that Harrelson, Hartnet, AND Gackt are all starring. EPIC!)

prettynose (6 years ago) Reply

grrr.... i am so fed up with NOT FINDING ANY INFO ABOUT THIS MOVIE!!
yes, i am a raging gakuto-fan in israel (we also exist, btw, gakuto-san, and reaally want a performance~)
does anyone know when it is finally coming to the big screens? and if there is any chance to find it in israel??