Christopher Webster [Celluloid 11.07.08] movie news

Oh dear.... I've always been a Spielberg champion. It probably has something to do with my childhood but even at his worst - his most saccharine, nationalistic, or sentimental- I've ignored the bad and stood by to champion his brighter moments. I mean, there's a reason that he's arguably become the most successful filmmaker in the history of filmmaking; the man knows how to make an entertaining movie. But when it comes to this news I gotta tell ya, I'm not in.

Variety is reporting that DreamWorks is in the process of securing the remake rights to Chan Wook-park's twisted revenge film Oldboy. A film that, if your reading this, you probably need no introduction to. I guess Spielberg and Smith have been wanting to work together for some time. But, is this really the dream project? Could Smith and Spielberg ever really embrace the Old Boy backstory or f'ed up ending? Can you imagine how watered down a mainstream Old Boy would have to be?

Ugh, give me a break.

Siggi (11 years ago) Reply

I wonder how Spielberg will fit the aliens to the plot of Old Boy?

LOL. That'll be the new ending. It was aliens that imprisoned him for 15 years. Of course the twist will be that they did it to teach him about the dangers of global warming.

trogen (11 years ago) Reply

It will never work, and would ruin an already perfect film.

quietearth (11 years ago) Reply

This is a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham.

terrible. this movie was amazing with some of the best fight scenes and cinematography. why would spielberg and will smith think this would be ok? Well its not!

Dan (11 years ago) Reply

I may be the only person alive you didn't find Old Boy to be anything particularly special. It was good, the ending was a shocker... and... I'll probably never feel a need to watch it again. But I do agree, Old Boy, Americanized... super watered down, probably to the point of "Why even bother?"

Cyberhal (11 years ago) Reply

no. just no.

kevin (11 years ago) Reply

I don't see it.. at all. Way too gritty and insane. Maybe Lady Vengeance or "I'm a Cyborg.." could translate, but not this -- especially with a big Hollywood star involved. Hopefully this is a doomed idea like the JSA remake a while back.

fdsfsd (11 years ago) Reply

hey spielberg, heres another idea for u: how bout remaking Ichi the killer starring will smith?

man,sometimes i even surprise myself with these awesome ideas. i m a genuis.

Hot Fuzz (11 years ago) Reply

I agree. Lady Vengeance or even Mr. Vengeance could work.

I guarantee you Dreamworks is only interested in buying the "15 years in prison" concept and throwing out the rest.