Christopher Webster [Celluloid 12.04.08] post apocalyptic movie news

What's going on with The Road is one of the biggest questions on our minds right now. Since the announced that it would be delayed until at least 2009, no info has appeared on the film's official site and noone seems to be talking about it. Well, except star Viggo Mortensen who sat down with AICN for a chat at the Chicago International Film Festival. Of course, the topic of The Road came up, and here's what Viggo had to say:

"I wanted to see it. I want to see how it is."

"My understanding is that they know that they've got a story that a lot of people want to see, because of the book. And, the people that read the book, which are many, were very moved by it and by this relationship between this boy and this man, in particular, in that setting. And, I think that they are really aware of the fact that they've got one chance to do it, and if there's any little things that they still want to work on a little more, to get it just right, whether it's the music --I don't know what it is -- a variety of things, they want to do it right. And, if you rush it out before you feel in good conscience it's there ... So, I am disappointed."

"But, if they think they need a little more time, then I’d rather they took it than didn’t. There’s the thought, ‘Well, maybe, we can sneak in and get an award, nomination or something, or make some money right now’. And, then, you think about it later and go, ‘Well, if we only had done this and that, we really would have finished it, and then they really would have liked it’ or something. It doesn’t bother me that much.

What I hope they don’t do is then just put it out in February or something. I hope they wait and do it at the right time. I don’t know. Do you think it’s a fall thing?"

We feel the same Viggo. Hopefully we get to see it soon, but it shouldn't be rushed out.

Scott (13 years ago) Reply

I don't want to have to wait another year. Oh, well. Good things come...so they say.

Tim (13 years ago) Reply

How long a delay are we talking? I've just read the book and would really like to see this film early next year!

Matt (13 years ago) Reply

This movie is going to be a very powerful movie, the book was powerful and i think that the delay is because they want to give the book credit for its genius and story telling. One thing i do hope though is that this movie is rated R. I hate seeing violent books turned into movies that are rated PG-13 and can't give it enough justice. It really hurts the image of the movie and people leave the theatre thinking, "that not what i pictured at all" and it ends up being a much less moving movie.

Kim (13 years ago) Reply

I do not believe this movie should be put out there this holiday season. Things are bad all over. I'm not sure it would do well if it was released right now. Loved the book. Not so sure people want to see dark and depressing even though it is also about hope. I say wait until February.

fishboy (13 years ago) Reply

an anyone tell me who wrote the book?

Cormac Mcarthy

Jim (13 years ago) Reply

I'm kind of afraid to see the movie. The book was beyond any reading experience I've ever had. I'd hate to taint that experience with a bad movie. I agree with Matt, anything less than an R rating and I may have to skip it. This isn't a story for kids.

Clara (13 years ago) Reply

I can't wait to see this movie. I LOVE the book, have read it twice in the last month... anywhoo...it was SUPPOSED to come out around Thanksgiving this year, I guess I'm glad it didn't cause there's not even a trailer out. The only people who know about it are the book fans...
I surely hope the movie will make people want to read the book, McCarthy is amazing!
I am glad they are taking time to perfect things before they release it, I'd rather than, then be pissed when I finally do see it.
CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

heliosity (12 years ago) Reply

From what I can tell the story has been adjusted somewhat. Flashbacks? there was no role for Charlize Theron in the book, nor for Molly Parker. I think that these story adaptations have disrupted and corrupted the story and the delays are over these inherent problems. The film will not have the same gravity as the book and therefore suck.
Schmaltzy Hollywood "gotta have a girl" mentality where this story could rock the crap out of the movie world done in B&W Goddard style.
I hope they use a Grateful Dead version of Morning Dew in the soundtrack, maybe over the credits