Christopher Webster [Celluloid 06.03.09] movie news scifi

That was a slow-motion "nooooo" by the way. Honestly, I'm too saddened to write much about this right now. Suffice it to say that no one should ever be allowed to touch Paul Verhoeven's scifi work. It's f^%&ing perfect. Darren Aronofsky can even suck it with his Robopcop remake. Ugh.

Read that full sad story over at the Hollywood Reporter (aka the bearer of bad news).

UPDATE: Now the Hollywood Reporter is saying that Equilibrium and Ultraviolet director, Kurt Wimmer, has been tapped to write the screenplay for Original's "contemporized adaptation." Personally, I've liked Wimmmer's scifi stories in the past and, considering he aped so many great past scifi works in writing his own work, think maybe he's the perfect fit as writer for the project. No word on who is directing yet but with Wimmer's penchant for squeaky-clean aesthetic I'm glad it's not him. His vision just doesn't seem right for the project.

I have to admit that my initial shock over this remake has worn off a bit and I'm interested to see how another version of Philip K. Dick's classic short story might turn out. Even if it's completely amazing though, Verhoeven's ultra-violent opus will always hold a special place in my collection and adolescent heart.

entizari (10 years ago) Reply

unless it ends up being a proper adaptation of the short story, instead of using it as a starting point.
unlikely though, I know...

trogen (10 years ago) Reply

i agree, its already perfect!

Who is going to be the lead?

zenseeker (10 years ago) Reply

Not really a remake though, it's a new adaptation of the source material...hopefully. The Arnie film changed the plot of the story quite significantly, so if this new version ends up closer to the original story it can be judged on its own merits. Of course, most people are a bit thick and, rather like "Planet of the Apes", will just keep calling it a remake no matter what happens. But ask yourself this, is each adaptation of "Pride and Prejudice" a remake of the previous version? No it's not.

Hot Fuzz (10 years ago) Reply

All good points Zenseeker. I find myself at a cross-roads. On one hand, I'm a massive PKD reader and love his original short story "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale" but on the other hand I'm a huge Verhoeven fanatic who sees his film as being quite separate from the story.

Trust me when I say that a new Total Recall will not end up the same as the short story which is why it won't be like your Pride and Prejudice example. Whereas all those adaptations of Austin's work are using her novel as the source material, this film will be using "scifi blockbuster" as its Modus operandi and will end up looking like a Michael Bay film.

Ubik is still apparently in development. I'd much rather see that.

unfun (10 years ago) Reply

NO!! NONO NONO NOOOO!

Even if it's a different adaptation I still refuse to accept this.

quietearth (10 years ago) Reply

Am I the only one who didn't think this film was spectacular? I welcome a new do!

Rick. (10 years ago) Reply

Only genre fans would compare Total Recall to Pride and Prejudice. Bless you boys. :)

Gavin (10 years ago) Reply

The short story is a lot different to the movie. There's some aspects of the movie which I liked, but the short story has some completely different aspects. Perhaps they'll even use the original name. With a Philip K. Dick biopic in production now, I think he may get a resurgence of interest.

Olivier (10 years ago) Reply

Did Will Smith already confirm as a leading role!?

Michael (10 years ago) Reply

Gosh, not another good Movie that turns into cliche Hollywood Blockbuster.

I'm sick of bad Remake's from great flicks like "let the right one in", "total Recall" or "Rec".

I mean what's the matter that there are no new Movie ideas's in the US?

Everytime i remember at the Remake of "the Omega Man" as "I am Legend" with Will Smith it brings me to throw up.

The original film was supposed to be David Cronenberg's. I would rather see his script see the light of day instead of having new scribes. That is wishful thinking though.

macgruder (9 years ago) Reply

I find it funny that a company called "Original Films" is making a remake.

CthIngo (9 years ago) Reply

I've got an idea, a strange one!
Imagine - only for a second, a mere second:
What if - if! - people would start making films that are - hold your breath! - NOT - not!- remakes of old movies?
I know it's crazy, but... for some reason... I think it MIGHT work... not sure though... originality is not everyone's cup of tea.
Oh well. Yeah. Let's just forget this one, it'll never happen.

stevec50 (9 years ago) Reply

I think the recent STAR TREK film shows that you can do a remake (or "re-imaging") without destroying what was good in the original concept. Also, compare both versions of THE THING for different takes on the John Campbell story.

I'm just holding my breath that some blowhole doesn't decide he can make a "better" version of BLADERUNNER!!