Christopher Webster [Celluloid 03.13.09] movie news fantasy gallery

Yep, I've always been a big Alice in Wonderland fan since I was a wee lad and am secretly hoping Burton's 3D movie has the goods to blow everyone's brains out. Please at least be better than Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which was only really half good (the half without Johnny Depp).

Anyway, I guess some new Disney magazine came out today which had a huge article about the upcoming film. Luckily for us, a fan over at The Tim Burton Collective scanned it for us. There's some cool concept art and this picture of Alice looking down the rabbit hole.

I like how Tim Burton describes the look of Alice. He says that "it's a kind of mixture of distorted live action and animation" which sounds as surreal as I was hoping it would be.

Three images are after the break but head to The TB Collective (snort) for the rest.

Hot Fuzz (10 years ago) Reply

Looks cool but doesn't the actress look a little old to be Alice?

Knowing Burton, the content won't be suitable for a little girl to play Alice. I think this movie will have some sexual references and more mature content. So there, an older actress is needed for obvious reasons.
Anyway does it really matter how old is she when you'll sit in the theater saying "wow!" every 5 minutes?

Nihili (10 years ago) Reply

This reminds me of Jan Svankmajer's "Neco z Alenky"

Pat (10 years ago) Reply

nihili aka alice. probably one of burton's influences. looks ok. very nice set design, as usual. but so far it looks better balanced not as eary, dark, monotone as his other stuff.
with some good cinematography and interesting angles like in pic2 this could b good stuff. so is j.d. deffo in this as the mad hatter?

Burton's a cock. When will he cast someone other than Johnny Depp in a film? Or his stupid wife?

projectcyclops (10 years ago) Reply

As much as I loved Beetlejuice, Batman and Edward Scissorhands when I was growing up, and still do like his early work, I can't help but think Burton's lost it in the last 10 years. Mars Attacks worked as a pastiche (but was sadly up-staged by Independence Day etc) but I found Planet of the Apes, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Sweeney Todd pretty much unwatchable. Even Sleepy Hollow was one of those films that's interesting to watch once but doesn't hold up to a repeat viewing.

I've not given-up on him, this is a great film project for Burton to direct but it'd better be good. (or what? You'll beat him up?)

ok here is my question, firs of all wasent this hole "Alice" movie suppose to be a movie based from American McGee's Alice and if you ask me that GAME is way to dark for Disney to do it justice i meen come on the game is rated M disney wont do anying over PG
I just hope Burton dose this Justice ive seen all of his movies and ive played this game on all modes from easy to Nightmere and i can tell you this it's not something to be handeled with the new Burton gloves, I have been waiting on this movie for the last 7 years when it was first introduced to Wes Craven.