quietearth [Celluloid 04.27.09] movie news scifi fantasy

From what I can gather on this project from google translate (which doesn't work very well on the Czech language), this project is currently looking for funding and co-producers but they already have the involvement of one production company which is working on a sweet looking project called Aporver we've been following. Based on the 1935 novel by Karel Capek which I think was continued as either a comic or a newspaper strip, the story seems to be based on some strange intelligent creatures living in the pacific ocean which get used as cheap labor. From here I assume the war stars. Really, I'm half guessing, so if any of our Czech readers can provide a proper translation (wikipedia entry) please help us out! This sounds awesome!

UPDATE: Thanks to the always awesome Avery, we know this book was sold in translated form with the title "War With the Newts" but I still like the sound of Salamander better.

And no, I don't know if it's post apocalyptic. You'll see in the teaser which is after the break.

Anirul (10 years ago) Reply

Wow, Agnieszka Holland and sci-fi!! This is REALLY interesting! Hope they'll find the money.

quietearth (10 years ago) Reply

Anirul, please credit our finds on your website. It's not polite to come leave comments with your url and ignore where you found the news.

Anirul (10 years ago) Reply

Yes, of course, my apologies, won't happen again.

SmartK8 (9 years ago) Reply

FIY: The translation is..

We wanted them..
We spread them all over the planet...
We teach them to be human..
And they're now helping us..
To get rid of ourselves.

regards,
Kate

SmartK8 (9 years ago) Reply

Oh, it's surely apocalyptic, dark with dark sense of humour, and truly creepy human-like (but not quite so) salamanders. I always love it, and I always wanted this to be made into a big movie, maybe a series as it is a really complex story. It is a step by step, how it all went. It was written before the WWII, and Capek had a hunch of what's comming. Also check out more glorified R.U.R. about the same cool factor, as in very high. It was really ahead of the time.

Pat (8 years ago) Reply

You haven't read the book? It is available in English translation as part of the great Online Books, I read it at http://ebooks.adelaide.edu.au/c/capek/karel/newts/