quietearth [Celluloid 07.22.09] movie trailer news fantasy adventure family

The family tag kind of puts me off, but after the excellent City of Ember, I'm down, although I was hoping for something sick and twisted.

The adventures of a young girl, Alice, who falls into a magical world full of strange characters and darkness behind every corner.

Teaser after the break.

FraxAtax (11 years ago) Reply

Too much mad hatter

Hussman (11 years ago) Reply

Was that the tree from 'Sleepy Hollow' in the beginning?

I think the visual look and the character design is all wrong. What a waste. Guillermo del Toro should have made this. If it was more in the vein of "Pan's Labyrinth" and less cartoony it would have been dead on. I don't even think kids will like this. Honestly.

witchman (11 years ago) Reply

haha...what i would have given to be a fly on the wall "if" Del Toro had ever had a meeting with Disney over this! But you're right, it's debatable if kids will dig this. Burton lost me after Willy Wonka.

Dutch (11 years ago) Reply

heh heh that looks awesome! Its going to be a trip!

S (11 years ago) Reply

this looks great and all but...
yet another straightforward version of the same story?
i really would have liked to have seen mcgee's dark wonderland realized

Cyberhal (11 years ago) Reply

if you want a cool surreal Alice, check out the animation from Czech stop motion
master Jan Svankmajer, there's a clip on youtube

mangajayce (11 years ago) Reply

OK I know I'm gonna get a ton of hate for this, but am I like the only man on the face of the earth who's tired of Johnny Depp? I've been watching him play effeminate British dudes every other movie for the past twenty years! I just don't understand why the sight of him mincing around in a trailer can melt a million panties and turn grown men into screaming women. The guy is in his 40s and he wears enough make-up and jewelry to be Naomi Campbell. Tim, baby, we get it. You're in love with the dude. Enough already. Look, I don't hate the Deppster, I just can't seem to get away from him! Besides he just looks like Elijah Woods in this flick! Look him up, tell me I'm wrong. I think the next character Depp should play is The Human Torch, eh? Flame On!! Let the hatred wash over me.

Angela (11 years ago) Reply

I agree, Del Toro should have directed this. It would've been much darker, and had that Pan's Labyrinth style. And I am also a little tired of Johnny Depp playing all these 'wacky' characters. He'll do a good job in this, but he seems to be in everything these days.

quietearth (11 years ago) Reply

No mangajayce.. You're not the only one. I can't stand Depp.

Leandro (8 years ago) Reply

I like them, and I think they are gaining pneimnorce for exactly the reason friend Simon (halspacejock) dislikes them they bridge the divide between the written and the visual, and tap into the generations who have grown up with this sort of mash up their entire lives. So many kids today don't read unless it's onscreen what better way to try to tap them than with something they recognise from another form? I agree with tltrent, I think they work well for the YA books, but only if they're well made production value is essential.