Christopher Webster [Celluloid 09.08.09] movie trailer news horror

Warning: Confusion ahead.

Some of you keen eyed creature feature fans may have noticed that a little film called The Tribe was made and released last year. It starred Jewel Staite of Firefly and Stargate fame and was directed by Jorg Ihle. Well, for whatever reason that film was renamed The Forgotten Ones and a remake quickly went into production under the direction of Roel Reiné who changed the title to "Primal" (not to be confused with the upcoming low-budget Australian horror flick of the same name). You still with me? Good. Rumor is that Jewel was either too difficult to work with or not available to star in the remake (or perhaps just didn't feel like making the same bloody movie again) and so she's no longer in it. I'm outlining all this, because there seems to be all kinds of confusion surrounding which film is which and what the heck has happened to Jewel. Plus, it took me about half an hour to figure all this out.

The film itself is a tropical island horror where castaways find an unknown tribe of humanoid creature who can apparently jump REALLY high. Having now seen the trailers for both films, I can say that this one is the better of the two. It starts off kind of slow, but gets pretty intense and down and dirty (literally) by the end. In fact, I think this is what we all expected from the French missing link thriller, Humains, but didn't find.

Synopsis:
After a devastating boat crash, a group of friends are stranded on an uncharted island where they encounter an ancient tribe of humanoid creatures.

The film is currently in post production and stars Lance Henriksen, Brianna Brown, Maxine Bahns, Emily Foxler, and Nick Mennell among others.

Trailer after the break:

looks better jewel did a greeat job (if she was supposed to whimy and annoying....:) but first run was choppy

TLT (10 years ago) Reply

You're pretty much on the money.

The first one was made. It sucked. But it had distribution and money already sunk into it. So they scrapped the first one (released as The Forgotten Ones outside the US), hired a new director and wrote a new script -- much better than the old script.

It already sold internationally as PRIMAL and (as far as I know) has not sold in the US yet.

Appears much bigger and better than THE FORGOTTEN ONES.

At least before there were good actors in it, I've seen these ones before, and they all suck.

mike rodgers (10 years ago) Reply

yoyre out of your mind! ive seen the ENTIRE new film, and the actors are REALLY GREAT! WAAAAAAY better than the the first one!

June Ijeh (10 years ago) Reply

I love Lance Henriksen, just love that he is in this movie. Don´t to see the movie. I think its going to be great!!!!!!!!!

Dominik (10 years ago) Reply

Sorry if it's a stupid question, but: is "Primal" a re-shoot meaning that parts of the new movie are from what was shot before for the other movie? Or are these two completely different movies?

I have to admit I'm still a bit confused. Was Lance working...well, with Reine or Ihle or both of them?

I'm asking because I'm trying to get some information about this movie for my German Lance Henriksen fanpage.

TLT (10 years ago) Reply

The Tribe / The Forgotten Ones is COMPLETELY different from The Lost Tribe / Primal. They do not share footage.

Lance ONLY worked on the 2nd iteration -- the one with Roel.