Christopher Webster [Celluloid 10.14.09] movie news video fantasy

Director Albert Pyun (Cyborg, Nemesis) returns to the genre that launched his career in Tales of the an Ancient Empire, the unofficial sequel to his 1982 indie hit "The Sword and the Sorcerer." An extended clip, featuring fantasy veteran Kevin Sorbo, has appeared on the film's official site. In it, Sorbo does his best Han Solo impression as he haggles with the princess over payment for some mercenary services. The cinematography is probably the best thing about the clip. Everything else about the clip is fairly television quality, though I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more.

Synopsis:
The sword and sorcery epic, written by Cynthia Curnan, tells the story of a princess forced on a quest to recruit the greatest warriors of the ancient world to save her kingdom from a demonic sorceress. But the odyssey to find them reveals a secret past for all.

Did we mention that Val Kilmer's in this? Just found that out today. Watch for more TOAAE news soon.

badfrog (11 years ago) Reply

it looks like typical kevin sorbo stuff, but I enjoyed most of his stuff anyways, so will watch it when it comes out

i'd do my sis if she was tht hot :D
anyway...so hercules is back hm?

arnold (11 years ago) Reply

the lighting and cinematography on this looks like it's a made for tv movie or an episode of hercules... pretty sad. Even the dialogue is a bit lame.

arnold (11 years ago) Reply

maybe i was a bit harsh since this clip is a "rough cut" and hopefully some digital post would be done to it. I also read that this is a sequel of sorts to the 80's film "Sword and the Sorcerer" which I enjoyed back then. Hopefully it does better than Kull.

val kilmer wtf.

Island Girl (11 years ago) Reply

Albert Pyun is a theif and a scum bag. He robbed all of Guam over his scam film MAX HAVOC. The guy went around begging EVERYONE on the island for money to make it, then his producer defaults on his loan, costing us millions.

The guy is a total piece of shit

Details... (11 years ago) Reply

I enjoyed the made in somewhere stamp on the bottom of the medieval mug...

Albert Pyun (11 years ago) Reply

Do you know how hard it was to get that stamp on the bottom? My concept (such as it is) is that even manufactures back in non-existent times would brand their product...eh, or maybe we better digi that out in the final print. Thanks to all for watching! Hope you're ready for some gratuitous and bloody fantasy pulp!

Best,
Albert Pyun

Anoymous (11 years ago) Reply

Brad D (11 years ago) Reply

Its cool. Much better than Legend of Seeker already and at least its not a 300 clone/ripoff like the new Spartacus tv series which stars Xena. I'm confess to being a little excited about this movie.

Dani E L (11 years ago) Reply

GREAT footage. Loved the interplay and dry wit. This might be the fantasy I've been waiting for after all those crap Narnia and SyFy channel movies. There was a recent one called Blood and something that was laughable. I agree Legend of the seeker is a boring and so typically unimaginative. I'll be waiting for this film with fingers crossed, holding my breath. I really enjoyed Albert Pyun's The Sword and the Sorcerer and his Mean Guns movie with lambert a lot so I hold out great hope this one has same cleverness. TALON!!!

I really enjoyed Mean Guns too. This looks like it could be the same fun. Is there a site where there are more clips or a trailer from Tales of an ancient empire? I saw the website but mostly stills.

Yep, it's called Quiet Earth ;)

Seriously though, if any new footage appears from this project, we'll be one of the first to cover it.

Albert Pyun (11 years ago) Reply

Hi All,

Wow. Thanks so much for the interest and comments. I'll try to post another scene this week for everyone's review and comment (snarking permitted). I have been focused more on this film than any other and hope it shows.

There's a Facebook page that is up that has some of the historical storyboards and pics from The Sword and the Sorcerer. I myself am somewhat facebook illiterate but here's the link for the more advanced:

Best,
Albert

"Let remember Albert Pyun was HIRED to direct Max Havoc- Rigel Entertainment (who is almost out of business )is who defaulted on the loan. Get facts straight. Slander is a terrible thing."

Really? Perhaps you need to get your facts straight:

In 2004 Pyun went to the US territory of Guam and, ALONG WITH film producer John Laing, convinced the Guam government to put up a $800,000 loan guarantee to finance their film Max Havoc: Curse of the Dragon. In his effort to convince Guam officials to approve the loan guarantee, Pyun told them that he and his producer (Laing) had a "sterling financial record" and that neither he nor John Laing had ever defaulted on a loan. [1] In 2006 producer John Laing defaulted on the film's loan, and Guam lost its guarantee. According to a 6/13/07 article in The Los Angeles Times, Laing blamed Pyun for the failure of the film. The case is currently in litigation, both in California and in Guam

Pyun was complicit with the producer in robing Guam's people's money. That makes him a fucking a-hole, no?