Christopher Webster [Celluloid 10.30.09] post apocalyptic movie news

Very interesting news from THR tonight, Mad Max fans. It seems that the rumor that Tom Hardy (Bronson, RocknRolla) was in talks to take over the franchise's title role from Mel Gibson has been confirmed as being true. It has also been confirmed that Charlize Theron will play the film's female lead.

No story details yet, but the film, which has been in the works for more than a decade, is definitely not a prequel. Apparently it "take place a short while after the story detailed in 1985’s Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, which keeps Mad Max relatively young." I wonder if Hardy will be sporting those gray side-burns then.

Questions abound as to what this means for the supposed animated Fury Road, but for now it's just sweet to read this thing is moving forward. The Australian production is hoping for a Summer 2010 shooting date.

So what do you think about this casting? Is Hardy a good choice, or would someone like Sam Worthington or The Hurt Locker's Jeremy Renner been a better match for the character?

pn2501 (8 years ago) Reply

I think he's a good choice, better than Sam Worthington that's for sure.

Tom Hardy is an excellent choice. He is an outstanding actor.

whats with the pommy accent

rek (8 years ago) Reply

I was really hoping MM4 would be set a generation later. Not necessarily or literally Max's kid. I also worry that Miller might pull a Romero and fail to differentiate his new iteration from the plethora of imitations of his original trendsetters, or learn from them.

wa5 (8 years ago) Reply

I bet Tom and Charlize wouldnt even know what a Falcon was.. let alone a Blower, or a Cleveland. I vote for Eric Bana, He can even bring his own coupe.

uncleB (8 years ago) Reply

Good choice in Hardy. Bana is to big of a name and tends to play the nice guy to often. I can't picture him kicking any ass unless he was painted green. And for Gibson, he's a total loon! His sanity is in question.

wilcoy (8 years ago) Reply

I can't say much about Tom Hardy but it appears to be a good choice. On the other hand Charlize Theron if not the hottest babe in Hollywood is a darn good actress and has the Oscar to boot. You have to give her credit for starring in a limited bleak roll in the 'The Road'and now pursuing another P-A
film Mad Max 4. The wasteland has a new goddess.

Lenman (8 years ago) Reply

They do have makeup in movies, I still think it should be Mel. He was looking fairly old in Thunderdome. I know he could do it and it wouldn't look bad. It better have the Gyro-copter guy in it!!

kurt (8 years ago) Reply

anyone who has seen CHOPPER would know that BANA would be a good choice for either hero or villain (but boy oh boy was he wasted in the Star Trek movie)...I want him in full cackling Ocker accent.

DTN44 (8 years ago) Reply

I think Tom Hardy is an amazing actor. He was great in RocknRolla (Was only overshadowed by Toby Kebbel [The fella who play Johnnie Quid]) but how can you have Mad Max with Mel Gibson. They'll have to work to win me over. But, hell, Abrams succeeded with 'Star Trek' so anything's possible.