Marina Antunes [Celluloid 01.05.10] news scifi action

Stuntman-turned-actor-turned-director Antony Szeto may only have a few directorial titles to his name, the most popular of which being Dragonblade, but he's about ready to leave his mark on cinema with a meshing of genres that I haven't seen outside of the super low budget.

Szeto is working on a new project called Vela 734 which combines sci-fi with tradition wushu action in a hybrid that is likely to blow more than a few brains. There are few details on the project but up-and-coming wushu star Wang Wenjie has signed on to star in the lead role with Szeto directing the project. The plot may be far off in the distance at this point but some test footage has emerged for the project and it shows promise.

Now keep in mind this isn't final footage but only a taste of what we can expect. It's a little low budget and rough around the edges but I can't help but get excited at the concept of a dude fighting off robots with a lightsaber-like weapon and awesome wushu moves.

We'll be keeping you posted as more details develop on the project.

Footage after the break. via kungfucinema

Sweet! Laser guns, laser swords and martial arts, awesome.

laser guns, laser swords and martial arts? theres this show u mite like...whats it called again? oh yeah....power rangers i think.

bor (12 years ago) Reply

K... I've embarresed to say that I've seen power rangers, and the martial arts in that is crap. This looks more like the real thing! And if Szeto is directing, I know that it'll be a martial arts mind blower.

Finally... a jedi night who actually knows how to really fight with a sword!

Works for me!

Kresh (12 years ago) Reply

"Not to be picky about it, cough... Star Wars... cough.. rip-off.. cough.., but they really need better editor, special effects are cheesy and fun."

'Cause, you know, Star Wars was TOTALLY ORIGINAL. Ignore that Kurosowa guy. He never existed. No way. In fact, Kurosawa ripped of Star Wars when he traveled back in time and made his movies.

For test footage that's pretty sweet.

If this movie came out in the eighties it would be called "Space Samurai: Escape from the Forbidden Zone"

hellan (12 years ago) Reply

Yeah... you see some of the test footage on those DVD extras (Toy Story, Lord of the Rings) this aint too far off from being as impressive as those... in a positive way. Makes me want to see the final movie.

Antony Szeto (12 years ago) Reply

Thanks for the article Marina.
I shot this footage in two days in a studio in China, then worked with their CGI team there to see if they can pull off the technicals. Looking at the footage they apparently did.

Sorry for the obvious Star Wars reference, but where I was in China I could only find red and blue reflectors for the swords. And I admit that the acting leaves much to be desired, but the girl and "bad guy" aren't actors, and they were there to kindly help out with a small crew.
I'm collecting everyone's comments now (good and bad), so thanks to all you out there who've left their thoughts here, and please feel free to leave more. It will help me in writing my script and shaping the final look of this film!
For all you who are wondering, Vela 734 will be a sword fight-fest about a monk who is charged with rescuing a princess from a penal colony only to find out that they are pawns in a plot to start a war between rival sets of planets.

Rook (12 years ago) Reply

I already like it better than Avatar. What more needs to be said?

Definitely keeping an eye on this one! Keep up the good work!

Shut up... just shut up. You had me at "sword fight-fest".

Herzog.drei (12 years ago) Reply

Looks like great fun.I´d love to see it!
Any chances for this to get real?I am searching the net,but there are only links to the test footage...