Christopher Webster [Celluloid 02.02.10] movie news

The 82nd Academy Award Nominations have arrived and while I'm not going to get into them in any great depth, there are a couple things very interesting and very irritating about them this year that compelled me to write a post.

BEST PICTURE:
The Blind Side
District 9
An Education
The Hurt Locker
Inglourious Basterds
Precious: Based on the Novel “Push” by Sapphire
A Serious Man
Up
Up in the Air

Firs of all, first-time director Neil Blompkamp's District 9 was nominated. Of course he wasn't named in the "Best Director" category so he doesn't have a hope in hell, but its great to see such a great scifi film actually getting noticed.

There is, however, a hole in all the lists this year. No love for John Hillcoat's The Road. Nadda. Oh sure, Sandra Bullock gets her due for that crappy, feel good sports movie I won't even say the name of, but Viggo, Kodi Smit-McPhee and Hillcoat got shafted in my opinion.

I liked An Education, but best picture? Hell no. Fish Tank would have a been a much more appropriate British choice. It's actually kitchen sink realism, unlike An Education which ends up being a flat coming-of-ager with no real repercussions for any of the characters.

What do you guys think?

I'm not surprised at all. but 'Inglorious basterds' getting a nod in its possible stead stings a bit. But since when have the oscars been a reliable indicator of a films quality?

Daria (8 years ago) Reply

Although I don't follow the various "awards" ceremonies, I, to, am disappointed that The Road was left out. Obviously Hollywood has its own agenda and you're either in the club or you're not. Regardless, The Road was a fine adaptation of the book and it's a shame that it won't get the recognition it deserves.

slimwhitt (8 years ago) Reply

I had to sit through that crapfest, Blindside, for my wife. If it's on there, The Road definitely should be. I actually think Hurt Locker should take it.

uncleB (8 years ago) Reply

The Blindside being nominated is a joke. As for the Road, I myself was kinda disapointed with the movie versus the book. The movie didn't have the feel that the book had and that made it hard for me to get into the film version. As for Viggo, he is a great actor but the Road wasn't his best role by far. I believe that is why The Road was pushed back so many times. They just couldn't convey the feel of the book to the film. The Hurt Locker was good but Basterds was probably the best film I've seen all year. Christoph Waltz should get best actor for Hans Lander. Thats just my opinion and I doubt anyone was looking forward to The Road more than I was.

Hussman (8 years ago) Reply

Of course 'Teh Road' got shafted, but I think it was because the Weinsteins made it impossible for anyone to see. How many people who visit this site have actually seen the movie?

SM (8 years ago) Reply

It's a good sign there's a shift in what the Academy is considering "Best of" with this list, although I don't think The Road is deserving of even a nom except perhaps cinematography. Pulling for The Hurt Locker too.

a.b (8 years ago) Reply

yes, the road should have been nominated for best pic but far more disgusting is that it wasnt nominated for score and cinematography, that was the real shame. the academy members clearly do not see all the films and just shove the big films into the categories they are not deserving in. other stand out snubs were abbie cornish in bright star- clearly the performance of the year and clint mansell for the moon score. i am however very happy to see harry potter and the half blood prince get nominated for its excellent cinematography- you would expect it to get looked over in this category because it is usually higher brow cinema(as high brow as the oscars can manage anyway) that gets the nom. another disgrace was the failure to recognise bright star in art direction. one last one is antichrist for its beautiful cinematography....

SeeminglySquare (8 years ago) Reply

The Road hurt themselves with their ridiculous release, maybe if they had gotten their act together and actually released the thing properly they would be on the list. Besides The Hurt Locker was amazing, it should win anyways.

lbj (8 years ago) Reply

I enjoyed The Road - despite the two assholes a few rows behind me that wouldn't shut up. Haven't seen much else on that list and did The Road get robbed of an academy nod? Not sure if I care. I hate that award red carpet ceremony bullshit...

ndr (8 years ago) Reply

I was really looking forward to The Road, but found it to be largely a disappointment. As a film it lacked the wonderful intrinsic quality that the book had. At its worst it felt like just a literal interpretation of some of the memorable scenes of the book. At its best it was a showcase for Viggo’s abilities. I don’t think Hillcoat did much for Cormac McCarthy’s vision. I can see why it was left out.

J.J. (8 years ago) Reply

Also pulling for The Hurt Locker. But the academy awards is all political. To be honest, the political side of the film industry is what ruins it. Just everybody be grateful that the academy awards isn't run by the UK film council, or Fish Tank would win best film and the other nominations would be a pile of horse shit too.

Anyone else think it's funny that Cameron is going up against his ex wife, Katherine Bigelow. It's the ultimate battle of the movie sexes!

donc48 (8 years ago) Reply

Please don’t tell me people are surprised The Road didn’t get an Academy Award nomination. Hollywood loves movies that have puppy dogs with wet noses, and up lifting (i.e. the Blind Side). The Road was simply too bleak to realistic for Hollywood it showed the bond between a man and his son and a man’s fight to save his family, and it showed how depraved people can become in a crisis. Also it was not PC enough (The wife gave up on her family remember). I think The Road is good enough to stand on it’s own.

whatever_man (8 years ago) Reply

meh, after seens so many bad reviews about this movie, I'm no wonder. Seems the general critic verdict is that it's a great movie if one's looking for boredom.
I'm still to watch it, I hope I'm surprised.

JackCrow (8 years ago) Reply

District 9, then Hurt locker.

>Of course all this is moot anyway, because there are hundreds of films that SHOULD have been on this list, right? I'm just surprised about The Road.

Yes, sad but true.

the weakest point of the road, the original novel, was the ending. the movie robbed itself by stickin to the lame ass sissy ending without any guts and realism.

f the oscars anyway. inglourious basterds that shit movie getting so many nominations is a joke.

Scott (8 years ago) Reply

FISH TANK is a 2010 release in the U.S.
And, no, THE ROAD did not get "robbed" of anything.

Matty Jetman (8 years ago) Reply

And not just The Road... Moon didn't get any nominations either and for me it was one of the best movies of last year.

word on moon. the oscars are a joke. agree about inglourious basterds as well. awful film.

Nick (8 years ago) Reply

The Road, for me, was a huge disappointment marred mostly by its leaden direction and heavy use of flashback to justify Charlize Theron's appearance. That said, it's no better or worse than the majority of the Best Picture list. But now with 10 nominees for Best Picture, the "Academy" has shot itself in the foot and will never be taken seriously again. Their biggest crime for me this year was that Tilda Swinton didn't get a nomination for Julia (it wasn't horror or sci-fi but it was the kind of go-for-broke characterization that would have made Cassavetes proud. I have to get ready for work otherwise I'd write an epic rant against the disgusting racism of The Blind Side (or as I call it, Driving Miss Daisy, The Reboot). Even Michael Orr won't see it.

drunken_hopfrog__PopBunker.net (8 years ago) Reply

I think it should have made it in the expanded 10 nominations. Our top 09 of 09 are at the link when you lick my name. Of course ADVENTURELAND and BLACK DYNAMITE and MOON made my top 10 as well.

I haven't watched the oscars in over ten years. Won't watch it this year either.

fannyslacks (8 years ago) Reply

honestly, if you read the book (and other works by cormac), you should have been sadly disappointed by the movie adaptation of 'the road'. 'the proposition' was a much better adaptation of mccarthy's tone and themes then 'the road' adaptation was. the child actor was sub-par and it seemed at times like scenes were merely there for shock value.

the scene that really bugged me was when the man and boy saw the girls running from the band of cannibals in the field and as the scene ends, off camera, you hear a stupid scream and the sound of a hatchet striking flesh straight out of a cartoon. i have the exact same sound effect on a royalty free cd. i guarantee that was added at the last minute to up the terror..

angela collins (8 years ago) Reply

Fish Tank has as said just been released in the USA and therefore will not qualify until 2011 acadamy awards. I hope as this film has received nominations and awards including the Cannes Jury Prize(beating this years best film/director nominees Inglorious Bastards )that 2011 will be recognised as one of the best british films for years, and Andrea Arnold, Katie Jarvis (this years best british newcomer, best actress nominee in Europe, and by all reviews in the USA these last couple of weeks as brilliant, hopefully it wont be forgotten because of being one of the first films released for 2011 awards, will be the next slumdog, and by a woman director, who has won an Oscar for short film. Please go see this film , apart from 4 actors, the rest of the cast is made up of total novices, who live near or on this estate(project),some of whom were worthy enough to be made cast members proper, Katie,Rebbeca and Charlotte (who was also up for lead, and whom andrea wanted to keep on board as Katies enemy), all of which were great. Good luck in USA ,this story is as it is in Rainham Essex( a london borough),it is raw and real, and it also faired better than precious at cannes.

ElaineB (8 years ago) Reply

I waited anxiously for The Road then blinked and missed it. Likely, so did a lot of Oscar voters. Basterds was great, but I saw Avatar twice. Cameron deserves the Director Oscar, if only for reinventing how movies are made.

The Road is the best english language film released in the past year. 2+2=5, I guess.

The Road was by far the best film hands down, (even with a deep appreciation to Jeff Bridges who was brillaint in Crazy Heart.) Will never ever respect the Oscars again after this most obvious and thoughtless neglect to appreciate true artistry.

it seems that the world or most of it anyway cannot comprehend anything more than an easy to watch film or book or anything at that. ;isten to the music thats coming out, no surprise that everything else is being dumbed down to the level that the all of America seems to evolved to

Santa (8 years ago) Reply

Of course, BIG time !!!
But, who care what "they" think, their quibble in this case is their shame !

Nick Dallas (7 years ago) Reply

As one below said the Academy Awards are a very biased buch. The Road was one of the most emotion provoking, well rounded story films of EVER! Viggo's performance was amazing and for him to not get a nod at Best Actor for that is un-F'in'-believable. As neither did I understand The Dark Knight clearly one of the best films of it's year to not get nominated as film of the year was appalling.