Christopher Webster [Celluloid 02.23.10] movie trailer news video thriller

There hasn't been a great wilderness survival film for a long time - at least one that didn't involve teens running from inbred cannibals. New indie thriller, Deadfall Trail, directed by newcomer "Roze" looks to put an end to the drought and I must say I'm extremely impressed with what I'm seeing - particularly in the clip titled "Bloodbath."

Synopsis:
John, Julian and Paul enter the Kaibab National Forest for a three-week survival trip and peyote vision quest. The only items they take with them are a knife, a bottle of water and a garbage bag each. A week into their journey a disastrous turn of events changes everything and the men are forced to ultimately confront the darkest corners of their morality and mortality. Battling the elements and each other, the quest becomes to make it out of the forest alive.

The only thing I don't particularly like about the film's story is that the three men choose to enter the wilderness. IMHO The best survival stories involve unskilled, everyday types who find themselves stranded and ill equipped. I'm thinking books like "Lord of the Flies" Paulsen's "Hatchet" or "Lost in the Barrens." However, this project still impresses with some amazing visual prowess and sound design.

Check out a clip and trailer from Deadfall Trailer after the break.

Clip: "Bloodbath"

Deadfall Trail Trailer:

Michael R Allen (10 years ago) Reply

The first clip looks like a fun first date.

Corey Stringer (10 years ago) Reply

Looks pretty great. Im always stoked on some survival horror that doesn't involve dumb teens! ha.

uncleB (10 years ago) Reply

This looks pretty good. Love survival horror.

tmarrrr (10 years ago) Reply

seeing a good use of thriller is always going to be great. the bloodbath clip gets me even more hyped to see the whole film.

This looks so badass!!! I can't wait to see this!

J Ortiz (10 years ago) Reply

Wow this looks like it's going to keep me at the edge of my seat! I'm ready to see a good survival film. I actually disagree with the three men being equipped. From the trailor it looks as if they are ill equipped for what happens to them. Anyways "Deadfall Trail" looks like it will be a mind bender. I'm stoked!

M R (10 years ago) Reply

Impresses with the concept Deadfall in a league of it's own. I can't wait to see what happens to these characters.

Dam that shit looked kinda sexy in a twisted kind of way! Dam i cant believe i just said that!

JackCrow (10 years ago) Reply

Anyone noticed the chaos symbol on his let biceps, in the first trailer. :))

Anyway I think the second trailer gives out too much about the plot.
It most certainly ( I hope) hides a few things, but in general I consider it more of a spoiler.

The mere premise of going in the woods without a firearm, and only with knives, seems a bit Ramboish, for 3 guys of "the caliber" they are.

If they drove a car that got broke, or a "jeep" and got out armed with backpacks, it could have been more believable.
But going on their own, with a pouch, and knives, without any boots, all weather gear, tents, or medical supplies, is stupid, though I guess some 'd find it entertaining.

Ben Austwick (10 years ago) Reply

I actually quite like it when they go equipped - think The Descent, or even Into the Void!

MAS (10 years ago) Reply

just got word this movie is premiering at the Phoenix Film Festival on Friday, March 9 at 10:30pm. here is a link to the schedule:

I have seen a promo copy of this film. It is amazing - intense and shocking! My understanding is that it is looking for a distributor right now. So in the meantime, you will need to go to AZ on the 9th to see it - which would be WELL worth it!

Lotus Eater (10 years ago) Reply

MESCALINE FOR THE WIN!

Photonwaltz (10 years ago) Reply

I like the look of this film, very solid trailer. I am happy to see a survival horror film made sans teenies.

MattyT (10 years ago) Reply

this movie looks pretty good. There havent been any good psyhcological horror movies since paranormal activity. But they always do better than slasher films at the box office. Heres to hoping that this is more phsycologically scary and profound than bloody.

Roze (10 years ago) Reply