quietearth [Celluloid 02.26.10] movie

Back in November we asked what your favorite cult films were and received a huge response, so now we're going to see what new films we can find in the weird and arthouse section from our own readers.

My personal picks? Hands down Alejandro Jodorowsky's The Holy Mountain which is in my top ten favs, and by extension, his metaphysical western El Topo. What else? Well considering Bella Tarr is one of my favorite directors, I'll have to add his opus, The Man From London. And for a bit of weirdness, let's pick the brilliant and hilarious Forbidden Zone from Richard Elfman.

So what are YOUR favorite weird and arthouse films? Sound off below!

Red Giant Films (8 years ago) Reply

Gaspar Noe's I STAND ALONE, and Lynne Ramsey's MORVERN CALLER come to mind. Arthouse, kinda weird. Bithe great movies IMHO.

William (8 years ago) Reply

Bergman's HOUR OF THE WOLF, Tarkovsky's STALKER, of course anything by Jodorowsky, Bunuel's THE DISCREET CHARM OF THE BOURGEOISIE, and the always bizarre INLAND EMPIRE (MULHOLLAND DR. is a much better film, but pales in comparison of weirdness).

My livelihood is pretty much arthouse.weird movies, so these are just a few of many.

street (8 years ago) Reply

the one movie that i can say is visually too much to take in one sitting.

can't wait to catch Noe's Enter the Void.. please hurry IFC :)

Colleeny (8 years ago) Reply

Anything by Guy Maddin scores high on my weird and somewhat uncomprehensible list.

I don't mind Bella Tarr, but found Man From London mind numbingly slow. The high contrast black & white was beautiful, but I had to walk out of it at the filmfest.

fear-death-by-water (8 years ago) Reply

For pure, distilled, triple filtered weirdness, I'd have to go with Delicatessen.

geargab (8 years ago) Reply

a few years back the Walker Art Center ran all 5 of Matthew Barney's Cremaster films in order of release. Numbers 2 is so messed up with the Gary Gilmore story and all off the crashes with the double amputee.

RIII (8 years ago) Reply

Arthouse goes to Paperhouse (1988)
Weird goes to Naked Nunch

Others are Lair of the white worm, Lathe of Heaven & Donnie Darko

loci (8 years ago) Reply

Andrzej Zulawski ~ Possession
(arthouse & weird)

Diggler (8 years ago) Reply

Alejandro Jodorowski's El Topo, Holy Mountain and Santa Sangre.

The Telephone Book by Nelson Lyon
Pink Flamingos
Eraserhead
Tetsuo: Iron Man
Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees
Un Chien Andalou

A hell of a lot more, but this is just off the top of my head.

Nick (8 years ago) Reply

Since it looks like one man's arthouse is another man's cult I hope I'm on the mark with my titles: Liquid Sky, Withnail & I, Clean Shaven, Drowning by Numbers, The Adjuster, Last Night, La Dolce Vita, Parting Glances, Long Weekend O' Despair, Knife in the Water, Funny Games (original), The Piano Teacher, The Ninth Configuration, Testament and The Baby (which is definitely a cult film but I love it too much to leave it off any list).

chuck (8 years ago) Reply

Holy Mountain (I just got the sound track a few days ago), Peter Greenaway (especially The Falls), Jorge Buttgereit's Der Todesking, The Atrocity Exhibition, and a second for Tetsuo: Iron Man.

brett (8 years ago) Reply

Being John Malkovich, Svidd Neger, Gelatin Silver Love, A Snake of June, Noisy Requiem, Automobile Graveyard, Solaris, Toto Who Lived Twice, What Is It?

Audition (Japan)
Come and See (Russia)
Hukkle (Hungary)

I really heart Wim Wenders's UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD or BIS ENE DIE WELT in German (I think) esp. the three hour plus version lol

perkules (8 years ago) Reply

Mamoru Oshii's "Avalon"
Andrzej Zulawski's "On the Silver Globe"
Werner Herzog's "Even Dwarfs Started Small"
Enki Bilal's "Bunker Palace Hotel"
Peter Watkins' "Punishment Park"
...and many more, although I haven't seen "Werckmeister Harmonies" yet...

Off the top of my head:

Cattet's "Amer"
Polanski's "The Tenant"
Argento's "Suspiria"
Cronenberg's "Videodrome"
Jodorowsky's "El topo"
Bilal's "Immortal"
Kelly's "Southland Tales"
Svankmajer's "Alice"
Jackson's "Meet the Feebles"
Lynch's "Lost Highway"
Boorman's "Zardoz"
Tarkovsky's "Solaris"

.... and lots more.

I second: Avalon, Stalker, and Naked Lunch.
I watched yesterday for the first time The Trip with Peter Fonda; which was amazing.

Then: Oldboy, The Man Who Wasn't There, Angel Heart, Blade Runner, Blue Velvet, Brazil, Enki Bilal's - Immortel, Anngel-A, A Clockwork Orange, Cronenberg's - Crash, Videodrome, Dead ringers, Cube, Dark city, Dogma, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Pi, Fight Club, The Fifth Element, The Hunger, The Lost Boys, Nowhere, Doom generation, Desert moon, Reservoir Dogs, Lola Rennt, Der Krieger und die Kaiserin, Pusher I-III, Wicked City, I Kina spiser de hunde, Gamle mænd i nye biler, Wild Zero, 2001: A Space Odyssey , Taxi driver, Dodesukaden ( very hard to watch, but absolutely worth it).

To name a few arty, weird and magnificent movies I like, fitting in soe way in the category.

Kelly T. (8 years ago) Reply

Four Rooms

Jonas Govaerts (8 years ago) Reply

Lemora (haunting Southern fairytale reminiscent of Argento); Kynodontas (freaky Greek family drama); The Birthday (weird eurohorror, shot in real time and starring Corey Feldman); The Witch Who Came From The Sea (beautiful, violent seventies drama, with an unforgettable Millie Perkins)

chuck (8 years ago) Reply

I want to add Dogville.

Blakberi (8 years ago) Reply

A Zed And Two Noughts, A Snake Of June, Zardoz

Hal (8 years ago) Reply

Dogville, yup. The Idiots by Van Trier.

ekimardneh (8 years ago) Reply

How about arty, culty scifi?
Zardoz, Battle Beyond The Stars, Ice Pirates, Hardware, Stalker, and my newest fave , Moon...

Lotus Eater (8 years ago) Reply