Christopher Webster [Celluloid 03.09.10] movie trailer news scifi

When quietearth posted this last night he said "I don't think it will be able to compare to the original, but it looks pretty damn rad." As cool as the new trailer for Tron: Legacy is, I tend to agree with him. Is it because of nostalgia? Probably. Am I saying it's going to "rape my childhood," as fanboys seem to be so fond of saying since the Star Wars prequels? No way. It looks like a hell of a lot of fun.

When Tron came out in 1982, computers were a brand new toy. For some, the idea of the PC was complete lunacy so Tron gave us a fantastical glimpse into the future world of computers. Now, of course, we're all so tech savvy that Tron Legacy can't really fill our minds with the possibility of the future. It can only provide the visual excitement we expect from our blockbuster films. And I suspect on that level it will deliver - and then some.

What do you think?

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

Saw this when I checked out Alice in Wonderland last week. I had a serious fangirl squee moment in the audience. Surprisingly, I don't think anyone else did.

AWESOME.

For the most part very cool! Felt the trailer's editing was a little off... long during set-up part... missing grand finale shots that blow you away at the end... also the film seems to have touches of Matrix environments and costumes in certain parts... which although is nice visually (who doesn't like tight latex) I don't think they needed to do... the world of tron is good enough and pretty original without introducing matrix elements. All in all though excited to see more! Hope the lead is a bit more charismatic then he comes across in the trailer...

No One Of Consequence (7 years ago) Reply

During Alice last week to saw the trailer... when you see the Flynn's sign, I yelled "sweet!" my wife just looked at me, like the rest of the theater. then when she realized what it was, she yelled "sweet!"

LordOfFlies (7 years ago) Reply

A bit of the child in me is super pumped, but the 26 year old in me thinks this will fail hard. I hope it proves me wrong.

J.J. (7 years ago) Reply

This looks like it is going to be a good 'fun' movie with a dash of Hot-as-Hell Olivia Wilde thrown in. But don't expect much more.

This will be around as good as I, Robot if it fully lives up to its potential.

trogen (7 years ago) Reply

I cant see them being able to get the same techy atmospheric feel as the first, but I sure hope it works.

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

His son looks like a fag, nothing personal nor against the mentioned.
They could have picked someone with a character though, but I guess he suits them blanky fine ( like the rest of yong experionnles and emotionless crowd of "actors" aka eye props).
Again more "tense" shots, chicks that fill "gaps", blah, whatever.
I adore the original, will watch and buy this, however beside Bridges and the good animation, the story and plot seem to suck from what I saw and see, though I care for that too, can't change a thingy.
Sad really cinematography has to resort to booby bimbos in tight clothes, to attract the "audience", in these dumbed up "cinema" days.

But again no matter, I'm waiting for it; for the legacy factors, to see if it fulfills them.

Marina (7 years ago) Reply

Good call LordOfFlies. I think you've nailed it.

@JackCrow

I disagree with you about the lead. I was half expecting some snot nosed, wise-cracking pop-culture savvy kid like we saw in Transformers. Instead Tron gives us a strong, thoughtful type. Much better I think.

Also, Daft Punk FTW. Great electronic twist on a classic sounding score.

ifdead (7 years ago) Reply

Stoked!!!!

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

Then we agree to disagree.
The only strong character is as always Jeff, but then again he is an actor, contrary to stage props.

Next thing we'll hear here ( besides Doomsday greatness rofl ), is that New Moon and Twilight are great...

witchman (7 years ago) Reply

It is what it is! Heard some of the score last year and was impressed with Punk's approach. Having spent a year by the studio trying to be partnered up with one of the big boys they decided to go their own way.

Oh....and Crow.."His son looks like a fag, nothing personal nor against the mentioned". Dude, that is personal, don't try and dress it up any other way. If you're gonna say fag...at least have the balls to not apologise for it!!

Wow, not sure how you jumped from my comment about the lead in this film to a crack about Twilight, but my compliments to you sir.

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

political correctness softened me up, lol

And the fact that no longer am I little, to be a fanboy, eating everything they throw, the way they think it s amazing.

Finriz (7 years ago) Reply

@Jackcrow: Wow, way to both be a douche and then try to come off sounding like modern cinema offends you with eye candy and boobage.

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

Good, and that is the beauty of freedom of speech and a right to express your opinion.

RubOneOffInYerEye (7 years ago) Reply

@Jack Crow -
Jesus Christ! You got that much from a trailer - you are fucking Nostradamus.

Here is a suggestion, Felini - and try to follow - as yo whine for Tron to be an arthouse masterpiece remember its source material.

your a total moron if you think you know the film from a trailer

JackCrow (7 years ago) Reply

What exactly are you people talking about?
Did you read this:
"When quietearth posted this last night he said "I don't think it will be able to compare to the original, but it looks pretty damn rad." As cool as the new trailer for Tron: Legacy is, I tend to agree with him. Is it because of nostalgia? Probably."

So pointing out that his son looks like a wuss junkie, complimented with bimbo eye candy and vfx, what is wrong there, as it is present.
The people online are already calling him Neo 2.0 snot nosed brat in Dark Lebowski film.

Lol, or as this guy puts it right:

"Sure, as a child of the 70's I'm friggen geeked to pony up and watch this shit. There's just one thing, can we fucking get rid of the the whole 'bitchin' dude grows up and now we'll bring his progeny into the plot,' device.

I do not now, nor will I accept, the nomination for said Dude's snot nosed brat's storyline. We've done that thing. And don't give me Lacy Underall in spandex with blinking lights either, unless she's still hot.
"

Yes vfx are awesome, yes they were in the original, were bimbos present - no, were light cycles present - yes.
Was there more to the chase than the actual chase with cycles - yes, is there now, who knows?.

What I saw was some eye candy, nothing more, is it to be a legacy or fail, we'll see.

All over the net it is a girl on the coucjh, not the movie, not even the vfx, girl in tight clothes on the couch, and idiots drolling.

What has the cinema been brought to...

dubl_a (7 years ago) Reply

Inviting Daft Punk to score this film might be the best idea Disney has had since acquiring distribution rights to the Studio Ghibli films. I've been a fan of theirs since '96 - we're the same age and are influenced by a lot of the same stuff from our childhood. They were probably as excited to do the score as I am to hear it, and what I've heard so far f*****g rocks.

I can see why writers are drawn to the idea of telling the story from a kid's POV when it comes to these 80s sequels. A old movie for a new generation as seen through the eyes of a new generation sort of thing. I get it, but I agree that it's over played.

klaw (7 years ago) Reply

Olivia Wilde in latex and domina hair... count me in, son. I liked the first trailer more, but this does seem to have a nice spin on the original... using the source material to tell a new story (daddy issues aside) so I expect it to be entertaining and potentially impressive.

Vastarien202 (7 years ago) Reply

I think Disney should be ashamed of this garbage. There was next to no effort put into this at all, it's just 30 miles of crappy neon lights, bad CGI, and a blatantly obvious ignorance of what made the original worth watching. Save your money folks, this one is dogfood.

Lotus Eater (7 years ago) Reply

I really want to see this.
probably filled with win.

I have many fond memories of playing the tron arcade game in a now closed godfathers pizza place as a child.

The song daft punk did for this, is full of win. Check it out below. Supposedly its real, real enough for me. Thought yall would dig it, I like daft punk.

Lotus Eaters (7 years ago) Reply

I feel you Vastarien202.

I dont like what has been done with Walt's company either. However, he was dead 30 years in the grave, unfortunately not a cryotank, when the original came out unless im mistaken he never played a role in the originals creation. Maybe its spirit will be present in this.

I hope the original is honored by this. I look forward to loading a sandwich of eat. I love sandwiches.

Lenman_99 (7 years ago) Reply

Calm down all you fanboys!!! The orginal was an OK movie but is wasn't some classic epic that will live forever. It was pretty cheesy whe nit was in theaters so don't go on like it has some great legacy that will be ruined. THat has already been done to "Death Race" LOL

rek (7 years ago) Reply

I'm just glad it's a sequel and not a reboot.

Lotus Eater (7 years ago) Reply

Lenman_99

Sir, you speak blasphemy! Witch, hes a witch burn him, burn him! I saw him commune with demons behind a rock.

When you mentioned death race, it made me think of the video game "megarace".

Yeah I am glad its not a remake also.

Rook (7 years ago) Reply

That trailer was filled with so many cliches that the movie will probably be awful. Granted, it looks good, but I am sick and tired of the "too cool for cool" rebellious kid who saves the day.

Why does every sci-fi movie have to be presented like an after school cartoon?!?