quietearth [Celluloid 06.28.10] Israel Poland movie trailer news thriller drama

Apparently this has been retitled or the translation got screwed up since we first reported on this Polish/Israeli film by Jerzy Skolimowski as it was originally titled The Essence of Killing. It stars one of my personal faves, Vincent Gallo as Taliban and I can't wait to see it.

The Essence of Killing follows the story of a Taliban member (Gallo) who lives in Afghanistan, kills three American soldiers and then is taken captive by the Americans. He is transferred to Europe for interrogation but manages to escape from his captors and becomes an escaped convict on a continent he does not know.

Trailer after the break.

via Gildia through Twitch

This looks GREAT!! Wow a movie I had no knowledge of... no expectations for... and after just watching that trailer... I definitely want to check it out. Oddly enough certain parts reminded me of First Blood... man on the run through wilderness being pursued... except this time it's a Taliban member... strangely intrigued.

Skinstripper (7 years ago) Reply

What a POS. Imagine if they had made a movie during WWII about a Nazi escaping our custody, after killing American soldiers, then being the underdog escapee. Wow. Just Wow.

Ah,yes. The evil Americans and the hounded and tortured Taliban sympathizer and naif.

u wouldnt think so but THE UNTHINKABLE (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0914863/) which came out recently is a great film which deals with similar themes. judging from the trailer this doesnt look like it comes anywhere near the brilliance of that film, even with gallo.

Looks like a very interesting premise to me. That it is provocative is obvious but I don't really see why people are getting quite so upset without knowing how the film resolves. Certainly a challenge for a film maker to choose such an unsympathetic protagonist.

samploo (7 years ago) Reply

Looks really good BUT it also seems like the whole movie is told in this trailer.. like it's just a summary.

Interesting how the trailer uses no dialog. Comparing it to "Unthinkable" seems like apples and oranges to me as this look pretty different. "Unthinkable" being the ticking time bomb convention where this looks to be a lone wolf/fugitive set up. I've seen quite a few of Skolimowski's movies and none were anything like this. Looks like a fusion of art film, thriller and horror movie -- is Gallo the hero or the monster?

FWIW I've seen this and Unthinkable. Both good movies and they couldn't be more different from each other.