Marina Antunes [Celluloid 07.05.10] trailer news action thriller adventure

Polish director Jerzy Skolimowski’s new film isn’t even out yet and it’s already raising all sorts of controversy not to mention that the chances of Essential Killing seeing the light of day in the US are slim to none. Why? How about the premise which sees the great Vincent Gallo cast as Mohammed, a Taliban rebel fighter who has been captured in Afghanistan by the U.S. Army and who then escapes the convoy and finds himself running free and trying to survive in the snow blanketed wild of Eastern Europe?

Let’s recap shall we. We have a story told from the perspective of a Taliban rebel on the run from American forces who are on the hunt. Yeah. That’s definitely not going to be appearing at your local cineplex any time soon; another reason to be thankful for arthouse cinemas. For the few of us who haven’t been turned off, you’re in luck because the trailer for Skolimowski’s film is spectacular (and unlike anything I’ve seen from the director before). We get explosions, chases by wolves and decapitation by chainsaw. All in a two minute trailer with no dialogue. Yes, it's as awesome as it sounds.

Trailer after the break.

Via Vanity Fair.

Awesome, yes. I also dig the no dialog part.

I read in one of the forums that Jeremy Thomas is supposed to distribute. Maybe, just maybe, that along with some of the mentioned controversy will be enough to get it to some of the urban arthouses. Or maybe not. I hope at least Netflix as I do want to see it.

people need 2 stop hyping this. the trailer seriously isnt that great. i understand that people love gallo but seriously its not that effin amzing.

check out Unthinkable (2010). similar theme. well executed.

I really don't see this as having that much in common with "Unthinkable". Different ideas/concepts other than having a terrorist suspect involved - I'm also sure miles apart as far as budget (I think this one was about 3 million dollars total). I'm sure we are going to see plenty more Hollywood movies involving terrorists for years to come. I for one am want to see Skolimowski's art film sense applied to something that seems more conventional like an action or horror film.
And I'm sure more people won't see it than will of course. Where unthinkable would have been in most multiplexes, I seriously doubt this will be - but one assumes those reading Quiet Earth are not only interested in the mainstream.

And I think the trailer is pretty good. The music really works.

Portraying these murdering maniacs as killers with hearts of gold is not only offensive but also immoral. Take it from someone who has personally witnessed these people deliberately targeting women and children for death. Or how about the Taliban executing women in the soccer stadium for READING BOOKS. This is positively disgusting. Wake the F*CK up people.

Yes, "portraying these murdering maniacs as killers with hearts of gold" is morally convoluted. Without having actually seen the movie, we don't really know that it does that (portray him with a heart of gold). Just saying it might be too early to be getting upset. I saw a comment elsewhere that made an interesting point, that by making it obvious that he is guilty it makes it much harder to see him as a positive protagonist. If he was innocent and wrongly taken captive (as there are many real life examples of) it would be a lot easier to make him sympathetic and for the movie to be clearly anti-American.

Just added as "the last title, presented in its world premiere screening, in Competition at the 67th Venice International Film Festival."