Marina Antunes [Film Festival 08.26.10] Romania movie trailer news drama

Another year means another small batch of Romanian films. They’re out there but the recent trend of new wave Romanian films only ever seem to make a splash at festivals and from there, usually one (if even that) sees life outside of the festival run. This year’s candidate looks like another "festival only" sort of fare.

Adapted by director Bogdan George Apetri from a story by Cristian Mungiu and Ioana Uricaru (is there any Romanian film Mungiu isn’t somehow involved with?), Outbound (Periferic) stars Ana Ularu as a Matilda, a troubled woman serving a five year sentence for an unnamed crime. When her mother dies, she is given a 24 hour leave but it’s soon apparent that she doesn’t intend on returning to jail. She has arranged for a truck to pick her up outside prison and for 1,500 Euros, the driver will smuggle out of the county; money she doesn’t have but hopes to get. That right there sounds like trouble.

No trailer yet but we’ve dug up three clips all of which point to a demure film. It also appears as though Ularu may be heading down the footsteps of Anamaria Marinca who gained international attention for her performance in Mungiu’s 4 Months, 3 Weeks, 2 Days.

Clips after the break.

toro (8 years ago) Reply

I'm from Romania and I cannot express my boredom with this kind of movies. Yes, the society is dysfunctional and there is a lot of filth in this country, but there are also good things. Is unfortunate, but it seems that the romanian "new wave" is obsessed with depressing stories. It's like a national sport, who can bring more filth and sadness to the screen. Maybe there is a prize of which I don't know, but I'm really sick of this pseudo-intellectual crap.
[/rant]

Marina (8 years ago) Reply

Hey Toro - thanks for the response. I've really enjoyed the films to come out of Romania the last few years but agree that they're mostly extremely serious and leaning on the depressing side of life.

That said, the first film I saw (that I think really kicked off the "new wave") is 12:08 East of Bucharest which was far from serious.

votre (8 years ago) Reply

@Toro-
Could be worse. You could be from here where the society is also dysfunctional in many ways; but also where it's film makers treat very serious subjects with little more than frathouse antics and locker room jokes.

toro (8 years ago) Reply

I recommend: California Dreamin.

To be honest, I avoid the romanian movies, because watching them only brings pain. Black humor is a nice way to make fun of a bad situation, but too much black humor is crossing the line into grotesque. That would not be a problem for a foreign watcher, but it simply masochism for a native romanian. To watch desolate depictions of your life and of the society in which you are living, again and again, it's simply abnormal.

They are good movie with an exceptional quality in depicting reality, but in the same time, they fail to reach the core of the romanian society. I'm still waiting for a sane romanian movie, a movie about human dreams, work and accomplishment.

toro (8 years ago) Reply

@votre: Sorry, I just saw your comment. Of what country do speak of?

XYZ (8 years ago) Reply

@toro: Read Baudelaire's "Les Fleurs du mal" or remember "Din bube, mucegaiuri si noroi / Iscat-am frumuseti si preturi noi" (T. Arghezi)