Christopher Webster [Celluloid 10.04.10] movie news scifi horror gallery

Our first look at The Thing prequel has arrived in the form of stills and behind the scenes pics courtesy of BD. Not surprisingly we get a lot of parkas and flame throwers and little else, but with Ron Moore behind the pen I'd say I'm intrigued even though he doesn't have tons of theatrical experience.

Synopsis:
"Antarctica: an extraordinary continent of awesome beauty. It is also home to an isolated outpost where a discovery full of scientific possibility becomes a mission of survival when an alien is unearthed by a crew of international scientists. The shape-shifting creature, accidentally unleashed at this marooned colony, has the ability to turn itself into a perfect replica of any living being. It can look just like you or me, but inside, it remains inhuman. In the thriller THE THING, paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers as they’re infected, one by one, by a mystery from another planet. Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) has traveled to the desolate region for the expedition of her lifetime. Joining a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across an extraterrestrial ship buried in the ice, she discovers an organism that seems to have died in the crash eons ago. But it is about to wake up. When a simple experiment frees the alien from its frozen prison, Kate must join the crew’s pilot, Carter (Joel Edgerton), to keep it from killing them off one at a time. And in this vast, intense land, a parasite that can mimic anything it touches will pit human against human as it tries to survive and flourish."

The cast includes Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Joel Edgerton, Jonathan Walker, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Dennis Storhøi, Trond Espen Seim, Jørgen Langhelle, Eric Christian Olsen, Stig Henrik Hoff, Jan Gunnar Røise, Kristofer Hivju, and Jo Adrian Haavind. It is scheduled to hit theaters on April 29, 2011.

Stills after the break.

wilcoy (8 years ago) Reply

I've said here before and I'll say it again John Carpenter's 1982 "The Thing" is my favorite movie. I can't wait either it's been 28 years later and though i'm not the youthful geek I was when I first saw this movie back in 1982 at my local movie theater i'm really looking forward to seeing the prequel I just wish Carpenter was still more hands on this new edition.

Norse (8 years ago) Reply

A norwegian camp where everyone speaks american? Typical. There are numerous quality actors in Norway that could have played these parts but still they don't. Learn to read subs, it's not that difficult!!

projectycyclops (8 years ago) Reply

A woman? Hmm... Kind of like remaking Glen Gary Glen Ross and dropping Isla Fisher in Al Pacino's role. Carpenter's Thing is one of the best all male cast movies ever, this looks like it'll go the way of The Crazies remake; well intentioned but utterly forgettable.

wheatley_s (8 years ago) Reply

I agree with Norse. has good point about language. I do look forward to this as "The Thing is tied in my all time favorite horror films of all time!!!

donc48 (8 years ago) Reply

I’m dating myself but I still hold the first “The Thing From Outer Space” made in the early 1950’s in High regard. I didn’t see it at a move theater when it first came out (I wasn’t born). As I understand it the 1982 Scott Carpenter version is closer to the short story. This looks ok I just wish some people would not be so hyper sensitive when a movie gets made. I’ll be the first to admit Hollywood is a little to American centric, and I wonder about the premise of staging the event at a Norwegian scientific base. Chances are no one involved in the project has ever read the original short story “The Thing” is based on. The short story is called “Halt who goes there”, or “Who goes there” by John Campbell http://www.scaryforkids.com/who-goes-there-by-john-w-campbell/

ifdead (8 years ago) Reply

I am keeping all hopes very low for this film. Carpenter's The Thing is also my favorite creature feature horror film. Hands down. It still holds up today. I will wait for Netflix to get it

matzoball (8 years ago) Reply

It's certainly gone a long way from the old black and white B-movie that I love.

mo (8 years ago) Reply

If it's a norwegian camp what's the black guy doing there ?
There are americans?
Isn't it supposed to be the story of what went on before the thing gets to the american camp?
LOOKS LIKE ANOTHER HOLLYWOOD DOG TURD.

bone (8 years ago) Reply

and still I ask, someone please explain to me what is DIFFERENT about this version??? it is still Antarctica, a team of scientists, a pilot, a black guy and a shape-shifting alien...oh I get it...they're NORWEGIAN!!!! what a BRILLIANT twist...should make f**king millions...{slaps knee laughing}

wheatley_s (8 years ago) Reply

Well as for some of the above posts, I'm not sure if you have ever ventured out of the U.S. but black people have been living in countries outside of the U.S. and Africa for a very long time. Soooo yeah, Noregan blacks totally believable to me, just saying so don't get offended and pouir salt on me,lol

Sick Puppy (8 years ago) Reply

I wonder how some movie stills degenerate to a debate on Blacks in Norway? Come on guys we have folks from all over the world on this site lets try and be a little open minded. The Thing is one of my faves I’m willing t keep an open mind and get my heart broken again. BTW is this a prequel? And any hope on seeing a trailer before Christ Arrives?

slick (8 years ago) Reply

OH shut your ignorant mouths i am Norwegian and what the f*ck would you guys know about US you insular reverse Racist morons SICK PUPY & WHEATLEY. How do you know he isn't supposed to be an american just at the norwegian base.And i live in Oslo yes NO black people that i've see in the last 38 years except tourists.

Hihat (8 years ago) Reply

Just comments about the movie please!!!!!
But yes it does look lousy and PC i hate that.
sick puppy get a life
wheatley grow up
keep your political opinions to yourselves as no one cares.
besides mary elisabeth winstead is to CUTE to get eaten by the thing.

macstu (8 years ago) Reply

The thing is the greatest horror scfi ever made, so I'm not getting my hopes up about a remake.

a (5 years ago) Reply