Christopher Webster [Cathode Ray Mission 10.31.10] Tuvalu zombies news horror

I won't be screening The Walking Dead for a few hours yet, but I wanted to get this up so all you zombie aficionados can voice your opinions on the show.

So what did you think? Have AMC and Darabont revolutionized TV by creating the first prime time zombie show with teeth? Does it deliver on the scares, the gore or in setting up a world that we want to visit week after week for the next two to five years?

Leave your thoughts in the comments.

alex (6 years ago) Reply

it was amazing. what us zombie folk have been waiting for years

Eric VT (6 years ago) Reply

^ you watched the leak video of the First episode didn't you ? So did I just could not wait and it was awsome and better then I even thought it would be. I can say this better then any thing old George has gave us sence well 1985 when Day came out.

Anglebender (6 years ago) Reply

I haven't seen it yet, but I am looking more forward to reading slackjawed responses to how it IS NOT 28 Days Later :)

I thought it was alright, definitely better than expected. It reminded me of "28 days later" in some ways, but seems like it'll be more similar to "Survivors" than anything.
I can see them running out of plot options after a couple of seasons, I mean theres only a handfull of characters, and inevitably some will die. What can they really do other than run and hide from the zombies and scavange for food? That'll get boring fast.
It might take off enough for a second season but I'm not sure zombies appeal to a big enough fanbase. It wont see a third season, thats for sure.

the comic book is still going, and as far as running out of characters thats not a problem through out the comics new characters are introduced. this is more about the human characcter rather than just ' zombie killing' so rest assured it will be an awesome ride

Eric VT (6 years ago) Reply

Yeah if they stay somewhat in the direction of the comic there is no dam way they will run out of Characters or plot options. Best Zombie stuff I have seen made in some time.

loved it!

masque36 (6 years ago) Reply

the show was pretty cool. It looks like they are changing some things from the comic book but they still maintained the tone and violence in the episode. The first five minutes had me hooked and if you like that you'll love the show.

Rook (6 years ago) Reply

I thought it was very good! I am eager to see the season play out. There is a lot of potential here.

ariel (6 years ago) Reply

first prime time zombie show?

...what about 2008's Dead Set?

Finriz (6 years ago) Reply

It was awesome. The changes that were made I believe was to help the flow for the transition to tv. Nothing too major. Other than that it rocked.

Morrisminor (6 years ago) Reply

I thought it was competent but nothing special or new. A lot of the scenes just seemed too familiar from other zombie/virus flicks. The first dialog heavy scene between the two cops in their patrol car felt heavy handed and didn't click with my wife or I. I don't think I can hang in with it if it doesn't evolve beyond soap opera antics (i.e. the cop's wife and his partners affair), and zombie cliches.
And those two concurrent scenes with the mercy re-killings that were supposed to be high on emotion... well, I really wasn't feeling it, but that's just me.

tom (6 years ago) Reply

I liked it but andrew lincoln is constantly looking into the lens.

John (6 years ago) Reply

Seen - preair - boring, aired - still boring.
I might be just too zombie saturated, so it could have been me. :)

Sniping zombies and the setting that particulasr scene was shot like, I think I saw in more than a doyen movies/tv shws so far.

And it alwas have to be the shotgun with no bullets around...

This is good TV right here. It's what I've been waiting for from a post-apocalypse show anyway. Yes Dead Set was amazing, but its scope was intimate. This shi% looks to be truly expansive.

Pilots always feature more of everything - more zombies, action, scares, characters, - but if Walking Dead can maintain this level of quality then I think we're in good hands.

Too bad Darabont won't be directing anymore episodes. I think he gave the pilot a nice cinematic tone.

wilcoy (6 years ago) Reply

Bravo! I feel from the comic series which has over 70 issues to date there are still many more interesting sub plots to flush out and under the helm of Frank Darabont the quality of the series should continue.

"Friends will pull the trigger. Friends don't let friends become a zombie".

wheatley_s (6 years ago) Reply

LOved it, 5 out of 5 Starz!!!

Cap (6 years ago) Reply

Great opener for the series. I especally like the opening where Rick had to shoot the zombie little girl. That showed to all what the series was going to be like, especally to those who had heard of this series but had never read the comicbook. Threw and shocked many people with that one. The only falt I can find with the series is that yet again AMC is putting commercals in. That is what turned off many people from watching AMC over the years, but I guess they have to pay for this one somehow. Cant wait for the dvd set to come out.

Craig DiLouie, author of TOOTH AND NAIL (6 years ago) Reply

5 out of 5 stars from me. Finally, somebody gets how to translate zombies to the visual medium. The first episode was almost perfect.

The zombies were scary (and traditional shamblers for all you Romero purists out there), the scenery looked like a war zone, the characters were developing nicely, the pacing was perfect, the story unfolded realistically and with constant tension, the gore was uncompromised, and everybody had realistic emotional and psychological reactions to what was happening to them and their loved ones.

If they keep this up without cheaping it down or dumbing it down, then I'm all in on this one. Now if only they could make movies like this ...

coelacanth1938 (6 years ago) Reply

I loved it. I had a bit of a problem with the zombie makeup (gotta work on those eyesockets, guys), but overall I loved it.

rbk (6 years ago) Reply

Also loved it. Lived up the hype and then some for me.

@coelacanth1938

True, but you have to admit the no-legged zombie lady thing (pictured above) was a brilliant piece of FX work.

Zombies8myBrain (6 years ago) Reply

I loved it, not sure what I would think of it since I hold the comic near and dear to my heart. But I'm glad its not a carbon copy of the show and gives us die hard fans something new.

Corey Stringer (6 years ago) Reply

AMAZING! Everything I had hoped for (and they swiched up enough from the books to keep me guessing)

Doctor Alex Xross (6 years ago) Reply

Great job at AMC. We at the NWO like this new future, we can help it happen.

moredead (6 years ago) Reply

Great, can't wait to see what's next.

JB (6 years ago) Reply

Nice stuff, but nothing too exciting eitherfor this first episode. More gory than scary (the horse scene).

I felt bad for that horse, man. I was hoping it would make it through a few more eps at least. Ah well, animals are fair game in the zombie apocalypse too I guess.

panic (6 years ago) Reply

100% pure win!

arnold (6 years ago) Reply

I've been reading the comic book series and have never tired of it. There is more to the storyline and more characters coming so it will never get boring. This is great "survival" series - be it zombies, vampires, virus, aliens or anything else as a background element. The main and interesting stories here are the survivors and how they cope with what happened. The downfall of society and trying to keep a civilized, moral, sane group together. Their interactions with each other, the tensions, love and camaraderie. Can't wait for the next episode.

soma (6 years ago) Reply

Can't believe how good this was.

The thing I really liked about it was the extra character development you got. It built up from the comic and made it better. Delved a little deeper. Extended the scenes etc.

This is how an adaption should be made

papaswamp (6 years ago) Reply

I thought overall it was well done and they certainly didn't pull any punches with the scenes. For TV...it rocked.

Nonman (6 years ago) Reply

Hoping it goes in a direction not too far off Jericho, more focussed on the people surviving the day-to-day problems of getting through the end of the world, rather than zombie-huntin'-and-killin'.

All in all, fantastic. Will buy the DVD series in a shot (UK here)

JB (6 years ago) Reply

Episode 2 seen;
very good again; Nice gory stuff again (the butcher scene!)
I am really into the zombie story; But I am really not a big fan of the side story with the cop's wife and his partners.