Christopher Webster [Celluloid 01.06.11] news scifi

We just received word that Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment will release Star Wars on Blu-ray in three distinct sets to "meet the needs of every Star Wars fan" (their words):

Star Wars: The Complete Saga on Blu-ray (9-disc Set includes all six films)
Star Wars: Prequel Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes I-III)
Star Wars: Original Blu-ray Trilogy (3-disc set includes Episodes IV-VI)

Three additional discs and more than 30 hours of extensive special features including never-before-seen deleted and alternate scenes, an exploration of the exclusive Star Wars archives, and much more are included in the complete saga set.

I know we don't talk a lot about Star Wars around here, but c'mon, it's Star Wars!

MEGAT0N (8 years ago) Reply

All I'd want to know is if any of them contain the original theatrical versions. Otherwise, I'll pass.

Heard the originals weren't, and never will be, available. If you've got an old VHS set you better hold onto it.

You know it's amazing. I saw this release blast picked up on just about every entertainment news outlet I checked on today. We collectively love the original 3 star wars films so much that I have a feeling for the rest of time, they will be continued to be released on new media and in the back of our minds we will always be subconsciously receptive to the idea of spending more money to upgrade. I don't think there is another trilogy of films that elicit that kind of blind habitual response. I think it's perhaps similar to how "The Beatles" music seems to elicit that kind of intense consumer loyalty for some people. In example I-Tunes just launched a monster print campaign regarding "The Beatles" on I-Tunes and I think the same thing would happen if the original Star Wars trilogy was suddenly made available on I-Tunes. Think about it. If you saw it available to purchase on I-Tunes right now, that small voice in the back of your head would go "Maybe I should get that." and most if not all media outlets would announce it. At the same time why is it no films since then have created such intense buy and re-buy devotion? As I think about it, I literally do not know a single person who hates the first 3 Star Wars films. In a day and age where almost every movie is slaughtered by cynical people like us who post on internet entertainment boards, it's amazing there exists a trilogy of films that are collectively considered "okay" to like. In fact the only negative words come from people about the "modified" versions of those 3 films. Here's wishing someone, somewhere creates a new idea that hits the world in the same way.

Though I am absolutely thrilled about seeing the original Star Wars trilogy making it's way to Blu-Ray, I am kind of hesitant about how well they will hold up in HD

The FX will lose it's lustre and the cheese factor will be accentuated by the extreme resolution. At least it won't ever kill the fun and nostalgia of the first 3 films. I can remember standing in a line that seemed a mile long to watch episode IV in 1978. I was a wise old 5 years old at the time :)

dont people just get tired of this already?
i dont get it.
blasphemy i know. lol.

I think the above commenter hit it on the nail when he mentions the beatles. Like them, the Star Wars team had talent and knew all the right references, but I would say it was also a case of right time right place.

Star Wars is only so popular because the generation that grew up with it are big buyers now. It's popularity may still fade.

Rook (8 years ago) Reply

I think Star Wars and Star Trek have done more damage to cinematic sci-fi than good. Don't get me wrong, I like the original SW and various ST movies/episodes, but the two are strangling all life and originality out of the genre.

I don't believe that's true. While it is true that socially conscious sci-fi really came to the forefront in the late 60s/early 70s with "2001", "Logan's Run", "Soylent Green", and "Planet of the Apes". I think in the time since Star Wars and Star Trek there have been some truly amazing additions to the sci-fi genre. Films like "Blade Runner", "Twelve Monkeys", "Children of Men", "District 9" to name a few. Even distant cousins/off-shoots of Star Wars and Star Trek like "Aliens", "Terminator", "Road Warrior" gave both allegory as well as commercial visual eye candy. I think if anything Star Wars and Star Trek have helped the genre expand by proving commercial viability and by showing filmmakers the only constraints on the genre are those we place on our imaginations. As far as I know they paved the way for filmmakers to talk studios into taking trips into the unknown. And that is a very good thing.