Marina Antunes [Celluloid 01.24.11] movie trailer news scifi

Another day. Another alien movie. Aliens are crammed right up there between zombies and vampires as things that are overdone but like everything else, a few gems emerge from the saturation and Tyson Johnston’s Exist may be one of them.

Tyson’s newest project has a pretty straight forward premise: when the world encounters its first meeting with extraterrestrials, two men accidentally find themselves in the middle of the action.

Shot as handheld video, Johnston’s film doesn’t feel much like amateur video and though he’s not breaking any molds, I do like what I see, even if it’s not particularly flashy or have any obvious money shots. I nearly passed the trailer over all together until I took a peek at the poster that Avery shot over our way and it was that poster, seen on the right, that had me digging around a little further.

What I found is that Johnston’s been working on this project for a while and though it sounds like there’s been a few different trailers floating around, I’m thinking this one is particularly effective in that it doesn’t reveal much. I don’t dig the picture taking effect but everything else looks good and if the demo reel which is also after the break is any indication, he’s saving all the money shots for the movie. I like having something to look forward to.

More details on the production as they arise for now, check out the trailer and FX reel after the break.

Defintiely like what I'm seeing here. Effective music and the acting is very naturalistic and believable.

I see what you mean about the snapshot effect, but other than that this one's got me mucho intrigued.

Finriz (7 years ago) Reply

Count me in!

Jonas (7 years ago) Reply

The trailer looked a bit interesting. The acting was good and it was a good use of Godspeed You Black Emperor's music which just made me miss the band that much more. :(

What really convinced though me was the effects demo reel. If they can manage to do some of those effects in the movie it could be another Monsters here.

bad dog (7 years ago) Reply

Please stop telling us what's "overdone." We'll decide. Thank you.

Raschae (7 years ago) Reply

Tyson you're amazing :) good work buddy xx

Kuze (7 years ago) Reply

Why are F-14s on the vid? They are retired since 2006. The movie looks amazing btw.

Oh, bad dog. Here we go again. I think we'll continue expressing our opinons on whatever we want, thank you very much.

bad dog (7 years ago) Reply

Oh, Agent Orange, welcome to blogging. It's this place where people express their opinions and other people are free to agree or disagree with them. Even condescendingly, like you.

P.S. Uh, I actually love your site.

Exactly! But you didn't disagree with Marina, you flat out told her to NOT express her own opinion. That, in my opinion, is not an exchange of opinions.

Also, I wasn't trying to be condescending. I just didn't use a winky.

We love having bad dog around!

bad dog (7 years ago) Reply

I take back the "condescending" comment, sorry. I also don't mean any disrespect to the reviewer. I'm just sick of being told that zombies are overdone when we're finally, just now, after years of all-vampires-all-the-time, starting to get some really good zombie stuff.

marina (7 years ago) Reply

Ah the zombie vs. vampire debate. I'm fully on the pro vampire side - even if there are a lot of bad films in the genre. Zombies were never my thing. They're still not. Will keep that in mind for the future though 'cause it is the internet and well, I'm not always right - even if I want to be.

blackholebird (7 years ago) Reply

i just saw godspeed you black emperor last thursday and i'm still in awe...
great use of the music though, can't wait to see it!
i think its gonna be interesting in the near future, when all those nihilistic post-rock kids grown and start doing awesome arts and craft.

It's always tough when the mainstream catches up to stuff you've loved for years. On one hand, like bad dog says, we're getting some really well funded zombie stuff coming out. On the other hand, we're also getting too many spoofs and cheesy merchandise.

So when Marina says "overdone" I think of the bad stuff. Will I ever tire of zombie apocalypses and alien invasion movies? Never!

bad dog (7 years ago) Reply

I agree that when the cheesy spoofs show up in droves, it makes the entire genre seem annoying and overexposed. Producers want to make a quick buck with cheap product, not take their time to produce something high quality. But the more mainstream drivel you get, the more gems that stand out as well: We're also seeing some incredible stuff like The Walking Dead series. And for once, finally, the horror section at my bookstore has some decent zombie books in it.

As for the vampires/zombies debate, I like vampires, too, but more like The Passage and Stake Land kind. If it ain't apocalyptic, it ain't of interest. So naturally the Twilight kind of vampire is not my thing. If that's your thing, great, I hope you get tons more. I just don't want to see vampires on every shelf in the horror section at my bookstore ... I like choice, and I'm glad to see zombies become more popular so I can have that choice.

I wonder if a bookstore will ever have a book buyer savvy enough to create a special section with a few shelves devoted entirely to apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic books.

Jonas (7 years ago) Reply

blackholebird, Whaaaat?! GYBE are playing shows again??? No way! *goes investigating*

Speedy (7 years ago) Reply

When I read the bit about it being shot on handycam... I had BAD flashbacks to "Cloverf@ck". Luckily, this does not look bad. It seems that someone noticed the steadycam option on their camera.

Jonas (7 years ago) Reply

Oh dear god I just missed a crapload of various GYBE shows in europe these past two months. Last one I could go to was yesterday.

I am not happy. ;(