Christopher Webster [Celluloid 01.26.11] movie news short scifi

The Shumway brothers' 45 minute short film, Enigma is a respectable slice of gritty space opera considering the tiny budget. But then again, the FX were handled by Matt Shumway who works as animation supervisor on some big projects including Joss Wheddon's Cabin in the Woods, Land of the Lost and Golden Compass.

Synopsis:
Floating dead in space, transport ship Genesis becomes an unsolvable mystery. All hands on board have been killed. What began as a simple transport mission for the crew of the Genesis, ends with not only their bloodshed, but the loss of an important military prisoner. The people of earth are in a time of crisis. They are waging war against a far superior opponent, an alien race called the Cnidarians. After a bloody assault on a military ship, the Vendetta, USSM special forces were able to capture their first Cnidarian prisoner, code named 71099. But commonly known through out the fleet as Ediolon, the phantom.

Realizing that a military transport would be too obvious of a target to their enemy, the USSM enlisted the freelance ship Genesis, commanded by Nathaniel J Rhys to secretly transport the prisoner to the high security prison located on Mars' moon Demos. The ship never arrived. General Rothman immediately launches an investigation team, and is determined to get to the bottom of this mystery, for one of the dead was his niece, Kyleigh. He will not let her death be in vain. Even with all its efforts, what happened on this voyage is unclear to the investigation team. All are dead, but how, and why? Has earth lost its chance take an advantage in their losing war? Watch closely and see if you can discover the enigma of this doomed mission.

Check out the entire short after the break.

Enigma from Frontier Studios on Vimeo.

Via: OPIUM

michael (10 years ago) Reply

stunning!

Phang (10 years ago) Reply

Needs to go to Hollywood. Brilliant in it's simple storyline. I know where the killer is

pretty good fight scene unrealistic needs a better music score but it could be used for a new tv series

Decent production values. Writing was average. Some of the acting wasn't very good. The ending was... not really thought out very well. If they 'still needed to be proven', why did they already have so many in development? The alien was pretty good, although I would have rather have it actually speak than hiss. Overall, I think it was a good effort, with watchable results. For small and indie, doing scifi, I call this much better than most.

Great Little film. Governments also blindly build ideas that aren't proven. I think that's the point. Impressive for an indie. I wonder what the budget was. I like the sets!

That was really good. I'd love to see it in a full length hollywood film. And I wouldn't be surprised if I did one day.

Only question. The little animal was the weapon? How did it work? It was like a pet and the crew seemed to know it well. was it meant to kill everyone, even humans? How would that be deployed against the aliens and you'd think it would be easy to detect.

that's all. WELL DONE!

street (10 years ago) Reply

i like to see promising young filmmakers with no budget pull off films like this, i really do.. i just wish they would pair up with promising young writers who could probably make this a more rewarding experience. nonetheless, a tip of my hat and a nod of respect.

I know that the budget on this film was only $50,000 usd. I think they did a really good job. Cant wait to see what they do next!